TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Voiding The Warranty.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voiding The Warranty.....

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone can help me by letting me know what types of mods void a warranty, this includes chip, diverter valve, intercooler, also if you swap your chip everytime that you bring it in to the dealer is there any way for the dealership to tell that an aftermarket chip had ever been used. Thanks
Old 07-18-2002, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default By posting here your warranty is voided

Just Kidding.
In reality, you can do nothing. A DV or Chip can be confiscated by your dealer. [Search past posts if you don't believe me]

Swapping chips causes a VAG-COM code that must be cleared before going into the dealer.

On the other side there are reports of dealers that don't care.

YMMV
Old 07-18-2002, 08:39 PM
Elder Member

Default well...

the dealer has to prove that your mod directly affected the dammage to you car. if they can't then it is not supposed to void you waranty. also...you can change your chip out for a stock ecu when you go to the dealer and use your vag to clear the codes. some more people here should be able to give you more info.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:35 PM

What dealers in SoCal don't care? PLEASE TELL ME!!
Old 07-19-2002, 04:12 AM

Default bottom line is "it depends"

in theory and generally according to the law, Audi has to "prove" that your mod caused the problem.

in reality, if they "think" it caused it or even if they are too lazy to investigate and they just feel like blaming your mod for the problem, then they can void your warranty anyway. it may be illegal but that won't necessarily stop them from doing it and then you'll have to go through considerable hassle to fight it.

in practice, certain mods are more or less likely to become points of contention; swapping wheels and tires are "safer" than chips and intercoolers. in general, if a problem arises, they can't/shouldn't void your entire warranty, but will instead limit it to the area potentially affected (e.g., they might void your suspension warranty if they don't like your new springs, but that shouldn't affect your engine warranty; however, the engine might get involved if you've been using a chip and/or other stuff).

although Audi (and other manufacturers/dealers) seem to lean tremendously toward their own side of the equation, it's a bit understandable that they show some conservatism, since some problems can't easily be pinned on one component or another. of course, it's easiest to just blame the customer's mods, but then too, they aren't supposed to be a scientific lab whose goal is to search out the root cause of all possible problems - they're supposed to fix your car and keep it running right based on how it was originally constructed. adding aftermarket parts - some of which can be prone to defects - does complicate the equation and can increase the warranty costs to the manufacturer. (note: I'm not defending Audi for their *own* defective parts - the only difference is that they supposedly already know about those (!))

I don't have much sympathy for those who make major changes, try to hide them, and aren't willing to live with the consequences. Certain mods - chips included - certainly CAN have some negative side effects. Maybe increasing engine output past Audi's tested parameters works most of the time, but if it increases certain failures by 4%, that translates into real costs to Audi. On the other hand, aftermarket mods often are not to blame for trouble, and it seems that Audi is frequenty blind to that possibility and too lazy to even consider the alternatives, so I don't usually have much sympathy for them either.

Bottom line is: the more you change, the greater your chance of trouble. Audi may be worse than some, but is certainly not unique. so you need to accept the risk, or else don't do it. Anyway, voiding your warranty isn't necessarily the end of the world; it's gonna run out eventually anyway. As long as the car still runs, who cares... :-)

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you drive the car, according to A of A, you void your warranty! :-)