TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

WARNING - Possible Transaxle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING - Possible Transaxle Problem

There may be a problem with the ring and pinion gears in your transaxle.

Beside my S4, I own a New Beetle GLX which shares many driveline components with the non-quattro TTs.

I have been hearing a dull rattle from the center-front of my New Beetle with a 1.8T engine when the transmission is engaged and the wheels overrun the engine (off-throttle, in gear, decelerating). The rattle ceases when I depress the clutch. I took it to my dealer who diagnosed the problem as a bad turbo bypass valve and replaced it today. The problem was, the problem persisted. I took the mechanic for a drive and we discovered a number of things:

1. The rattle is road speed sensitive, not engine speed sensitive.

2. The car will also rattle slightly when coasting in neutral with the released (foot off the pedal). The volume will increase if the shifter is held against a gear while coasing in this mode.

The mechanic told me that the noise in commmon in TTs and is usually fixed by changing the bypass valve.

If you have had your bypass replaced and still have a similar noise, your TT could be like my Beetle and have a bad ring and pinion. VW/Audi's solution is to remove the transaxle, look for wear and if the ring and pinion on the final drive are worn, replace the transaxle. This is covered by the 5/50 powertrain warranty. So if you are close to the limit, get in and complain before your warranty expires and you get stuck with the bill for a new transaxle.