TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

waxing and washing routine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing and washing routine?

Hello all, I've never been religious about washing and waxing cars...but I've never had reason to. I received my TT 2 days ago and I would like to know of a solid routine to washing and waxing a car....any hints or suggestions?
Old 11-01-2000, 07:48 AM

Aye Carumba!!
Old 11-01-2000, 07:53 AM
Ego

Default Here's my routine, which is almost religious.

This occurs *every* Saturday, unless its raining or I have other commitments. If that happens, it is moved to Sunday.

I wake up around 9am, get a cup of coffee, and while "waking up", I go out to the garage and get all the products I'm going to need and lay them out on the chest freezer.

I take the car up to the local spray-it-yourself wash, and use the *low pressure setting* to rinse bugs off the nose, and to spray down the wheels.

I then come back home, and spray down the wheels with P21S gel wheel cleaner, then go inside and eat breakfast while the cleaner does its work. Come out about 30 minutes later, and get the Zaino car soap ready (mixed with water, etc etc), and begin washing the car by hand. At this point, I also spray the wheels off (get the cleaner off).

Then, take P21S synthetic drying towel and California Water Blade and dry car. With these two exceptional products, the car is dry within 3-4 minutes.

Next, I let the car sit for about 20 minutes, to make sure all the dripping has finished, and clean up any water spots that have formed from dripping water (usually from the side mirror housings). This also gives my tires a chance to completely dry.

I then spray the wheels with Rain-X wheel protectant (which works AWESOME for repelling brake dust), and the tires down with Stoners More Shine Less Time. I do these two first, so that I can clean up any that happens to overspray on the paint or wheels.

Next step is to apply Stoners more shine less time to the grill (thanks Denny!) with a small sponge.

Next I clean the windows (inside and out) with Stoners Invisible Glass. I do this before paint work also to avoid overspray.

Next, apply Zaino Z-5 swirl remover (because I have endless swirls, which you all remember me bitching about -- dealer or factory did it). Let this sit for a good hour.

While the Z-5 is drying, I detail the interior with Zaino leather/vinyl cleaner, and do the seats with Hide Food (thanks Brad!). I also vaccum at this point, with .. um.. who cares what brand vaccum. That's not important.

Next I wipe off the Z-5 with 100% cotton towels (USA made!). I let the paint breath for about 5 minutes while putting away the products I've already finished with. Then go back and put a coat of Z-6 on with 100% cotton towels.

I then (call me a nutball) go around the entire car with Q-tips, and get all of the areas that are hard to get with towels (the rear TT logo, the rings in the rear, quattro badge, etc), and get all the polish out from around the edges and such of that. I also use the Q-tips to get the polish out from between body panel separations where I may have gotten some in there.

As a *final* step, I go back to the door sills, and clean them up, as water *always* accumulates after all this time, since it works its way down.

Voila, beautifully clean car. All-in-all, takes me about 3 hours. I find it a very theraputic session, and enjoy doing it very much. Saturday morning is one of the times I look foward to every week.
Old 11-01-2000, 07:55 AM

some of the folks here occasionally use some z something-or-other on their cars. :-)
Old 11-01-2000, 07:55 AM
Ego

OH, btw, I don't do the seats *every* week. about once a month, or less.
Old 11-01-2000, 07:57 AM
TP

We've gone full circle............................again!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2000, 08:03 AM

Isn't that "Aye Carnuba?" ;-)
Old 11-01-2000, 08:08 AM

Default Actually, its "Nay Carnuba" ......

Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino Zaino
Old 11-01-2000, 08:11 AM

Default Unbelievable routine, car must be magnificent.

I wash once a week, zaino once a month. AND my neighbors think I am a nut, can't imagine your neighbors even thinking it is safe to talk to you!!!!:-)
Old 11-01-2000, 08:30 AM

Default You're obviously single!! If I tried that, my TT wouldn't be the only thing

my wife would tell me to go polish every weekend!!

Quick Reply: waxing and washing routine?