TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Werid turbo sound - not consistent boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Werid turbo sound - not consistent boost

So last year I bought a 225 TT MK1 with few problems that are already sorted out (bad brakes, clumsy ABS that lights up all the time, and few minor faults...).
I say "most" because I already caused another problem (cracked intercooler) but one problem is bugging me for as long as I own it.

The werid thing that my turbo does is that it just cant hold the boost up. Every time I step on the gas, the turbo spools up to max (probably) but as I hold the gas pedal down in - lets say - 3rd gear, the whistle sound from the turbo goes up and down. For example. I'm cruising about 50km/h in 4th and want to accelerate to 90km/h. I downshift to 3rd and step on it. The turbo spools up but then goes down for a second then spools up again etc. It's annoying because when I want to overtake at 130km/h in 4th gear, I'm not sure if the turbo will kick-in and sends me in front of the other car or if it will not spool and wont accelerate enough - that's too dangerous for me. Sometimes it does that from the complete stop too. Get the **** to 1st, slam the gas pedal down, release the clutch and...and... well... that supra is already on the next lights. And all that with ESP turned OFF (for those that thought it's because of wheelspin )
I know it could be bcs of that boost leak but, as the thread name suggests, its not consistent. sometimes it holds up, other times it's jumping up'n'down like crazy. I will record an sound clip or a video of it and post it as a reply so you can her what I mean.

I'm going to mechanic in a month to repair the turbo seals and stuff (it eats oil like crazy now) and change the IC, but I think it wont help since it was doing this even before the cracked IC.

Anyone else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix this or what should I request my mechanic to change/repair?

Thanks for replies
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Diverter Valve?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Diverter Valve?
Could it be "that" inconsistent? Im going to a mechanic in 2 days for turbo repair so ill ask him.