TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Wetterauer chip for 180 hp TT...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 06:49 AM
Brad Willis

Default Wetterauer chip for 180 hp TT...

The subject of chipping your TT is certainly contraversial. Although your TT will probably go faster, you do risk the possability that Audi will dely warranty coverage if they can prove that the chip was responsible for the damage.<p>That having been said, Wett does have a fairly new 210 hp chip for the TT with substantially increased torque. I've provided a link below for anyone who would like to take a look. Also, Wett used to offer a $100 discount on chips for A4 members". If the offer is still valid, I would assume that we are included too, but check for yourself. The discount link will be on a message to follow. Here's the chip link: <ul><li><a href="http://www.chip-tuning.com/usa/main/mainmenu-via-a4org.html">Wett TT chip</a></li></ul>
Old 08-17-1999, 06:51 AM
Brad Willis

Default Here's the discount link...

Here you go :-)<ul><li><a href="http://www.chip-tuning.com/usa/main/mainmenu-via-a4org.html">Maybe $100 discount on Wett chip</a></li></ul>
Old 08-17-1999, 10:24 AM
Jack

Default This is a link to the discount page (nt)

x
Old 08-18-1999, 07:56 AM
mne

Default Nope Brad... they're not discounting the TT chip. Additionally theres only ONE in stock...

and you have to send them your ECU and they will install their chip in it. That process is done in one day, but with overnight, one day to do the work and FedEx back your still going to be TT-less for 3 days. One cool feature about theres is the ability to revert back to your stock chip by a "quick change" socket they install in your ECU. However "that" conversion would raise more eyerows in an Audi service inspection than the plain unmarked chip as its a "two-story" looking configuration as opposed to a "stock-looking" chip with no markings.<p>Tap/Burnhardt is still the way I'm gonna go. Its an ECU swap with no "down time" as they jus run a core charge on your credit card and you return yours to them once you've installed theirs and then they credit your charge card. And from some things I've read, Burnhardt does about the best job in the world, bar NONE on their research and QC. And I'm in no way affiliated with them... just want that kinda experience and quality behind me when I'm doing something that could well cost me a MAJOR repair bill if it was found to cause some catastrophic failure in an otherwise warranteeable car.<br>
Old 08-18-1999, 10:01 AM
Andy Hedin

Default My comments...

As a Wetterauer chip owner ('97 A4 1.8Tqms), I feel compelled to respond to your post:<p><i>...you have to send them your ECU and they will install their chip in it. That process is done in one day, but with overnight, one day to do the work and FedEx back your still going to be TT-less for 3 days.</i><p>This is/was standard practice until APR and Garrett came out with their "spare" ECU deal. It's even better than TAP's offer...basically, you get an entire second "chipped" ECU which allows you to store your original "stock" ECU for warranty visits to the dealer or to put back in the car when you sell it. Going price on this deal for the A4's was $599 from APR. Eventually, they'll probably offer a similar deal for the TT.<p><i> cool feature about theres is the ability to revert back to your stock chip by a "quick change" socket they install in your ECU. However "that" conversion would raise more eyerows in an Audi service inspection than the plain unmarked chip as its a "two-story" looking configuration as opposed to a "stock-looking" chip with no markings.</i><p>In theory this is correct...BUT, no dealer is going to actually open up the ECU box to look inside, why wood they as there are no serviceable parts inside? If they suspect an ECU problem, they'll order a brand new ECU for your car and send the original back to Audi for warranty claim. Some folks over on A4.org worried that Audi would find the socket and report back to the dealer, but no one has had a problem yet.<p><i>Tap/Burnhardt is still the way I'm gonna go. Its an ECU swap with no "down time" as they jus run a core charge on your credit card and you return yours to them once you've installed theirs and then they credit your charge card. And from some things I've read, Burnhardt does about the best job in the world, bar NONE on their research and QC. And I'm in no way affiliated with them... just want that kinda experience and quality behind me when I'm doing something that could well cost me a MAJOR repair bill if it was found to cause some catastrophic failure in an otherwise warranteeable car.</i><p>I do like TAP's core-charge which eliminates down time, but IMO, TAP is not that respected anymore with A4 owners. Lots more info can be found by searching the archives on A4.org. Personally, if I were a TT owner, I'd go with the upcoming APR or Garrett chip with Wetterauer coming in second. TAP would be at the bottom of my list. My $0.02...<p><A HREF="Mailto:andy_hedin@hotmail.com"><FONT FACE="Times New Roman" SIZE=4>Andy Hedin</FONT></A><br><p>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights, APR/Borla Exhaust (coming soon!)...
Old 08-19-1999, 07:06 AM
Michael J. Dyer

Default URLs for APR and Garrett?

Are they on the web?
Old 08-19-1999, 08:48 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Here are the URL's...

Audi Performance & Racing (APR):<br>http://www.goapr.com/<p>Garrett Integrated Automotive Corp.:<br>http://www.giacusa.com/<p>Wetterauer America:<br>http://www.chip-tuning.com/<br>
Old 08-19-1999, 03:22 PM
Michael J. Dyer

Default Thanks.

Thanks.