TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

WHAT A BLAST!! My first race track day & a new world record...(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT A BLAST!! My first race track day & a new world record...(longish)

Wow!

Yesterday the team of german tuner Thorsten Wimmer had invited to a race track day on the (closed exclusively for that event) Hockenheim Ring Formula 1 GP course. It was designated as a TT event, but there were (being his customers) quite some Audi S3s and RS4s, a few BMWs (Z3 M coupes), and quite some Porsches (street-911s and some Porsche GT race cars).

Oh, and there were (officially) 138 TTs. Guess that's the new record, right?

Driving around the course was absolutely great for a first-timer like me. Too bad that my tires and front brake pads and discs were only around 300 miles old. After yesterday they're around 4,300 miles old I tried to wait with the exchange until after Hockenheim, but 4 weeks ago one of my pads was completely gone (and my rear right tire was a slick). Still, with the new tires 10 laps on the track and the back end of my 225 slid like hell. Sheesh, sometimes you gotta have to pay for the fun )

It was an all day event, and I drove 3 times for a total of around 25 laps - I didn't manage to count the laps or even measure lap time - mostly I watched revs It was really cool, hadn't imagine that race track driving is *that* mucho fun.

During the event, no major casualties have been seen (which I think was really a surprise given the number of cars of which around 30 were on the track at a single point in time. The only (very minor) drawback was that due to the presence of some racecars (amongst them two 550+HP GT Porsches) you always had to watch your rear mirros very closely - but if you saw one of those two white hellofa911s in the rear mirror they had passed you anyhow in a blink of an eye, so no prob. The fun stuff with the other 911s was to annoy them when they tried to overtake inside a curve - hit on the gas in the middle of the curve and your AWD zooming you out of the curve into the straight gives them a hard time until they're on the straight again, too - hehe )

One time during the event we got around 90 of the TTs line up in the grid on the start/finish lane - expect some cool pics later...

The evening was an organized dinner/tour through the near Heidelberg castle with access to areas which are normally not open to the public. The day ended with a great firework atop Heidelberg and the castle. Absolutely a great day.

After yesterday, consider me a race track fan! 8P

Cheers,
Kai
Old 09-08-2002, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need pics of this... sounds great!
Old 09-08-2002, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!
Old 09-09-2002, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds amazing...please share pics when you can :-)