TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

What is causing the MAF failures?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds plausible, as VW offers a wiring harness upgrade (gold contacts) to help stop MAF failures.

I may also help to use some Stabilant 22 ( http://www.stabilant.com/appnt20h.htm ) or Deoxit (aka Cramolin Red) on the existing contacts.<ul><li><a href="http://www.caig.com/prod.htm">DeoxIT</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 AM

Default is it possible to buy the larger APR MAF seperately?

...that might be one solution for those wanting to get chipped, or whom already have chips.

and for what it's worth, i'm completely stock (except for an exhaust), and my MAF went bad about 3 weeks ago. i seem to remember a whole handful of stock TT's on here having MAF's fail too. not that i'm doubting your info, but i think it might be a combo of the MAF's being crummy to begin with, and once you chip the car, well...fugghetaboutit. throwing the blame squarely on the chips gives Audi too much credit ;-)
Old 01-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Elder Member

Default No, APR will not sell any part of any of their kits piece by piece . . .

As for the MAF being a POS, I agree totally. I agree many cars have had the MAF go bad on a totally stock car. I am not saying any of this to get Audi off the hook.

But when someone goes to a dealer with a bad MAF and the dealer says that their chip blew the MAF, it is 100% possible.

If ANY chip tuner were a member of SEMA and were willing to stand up for their customers then this would be a totally different story altogether.

I knew when my MAF was blown back in May that the chip caused it, but I got it taken care of under warranty because of some contacts I had within AoA.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The APR MAF is the same size as a stock 225......>>

3 inches. The elements (the actual electrical part) are all the same. You can't just throw a bigger MAF housing on a 180 without some ECU re-tuning...(ala APR stg. 3)
Old 01-14-2003, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, Steve.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:10 AM

Default so...it IS possible to do then...but not very likely to happen...

...since APR (or whomever) would just need to rework their chip to work in conjunction with the larger MAF, right? or am i missing something?

personally, i'd rather pay $800 or $900 for a chip + upgraded MAF combo rather than $500 for just a chip (that will potentially fry the stock MAF).

i guess the other route would be to just buy a bunch of $65 replacement MAF's and then keep replacing them whenever they get fried. but that's rather inconvenient.

anywho...it seems like if the chips <i>are</i> what's causing the MAF's to go bad, the chip manufacturers should step up to the plate and do something about it. but i guess that won't happen until/unless there's enough of an outcry about the issue.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Is this the one?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.vwparts.com/partlist.cfm?getpart=8395&amp;10768&amp;listtype=s pecials&amp;8395#part8395">Part In Question</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2003, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's it. Works fine for me!
Old 01-14-2003, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The "elements" are different, too. Compare the Bosch p/n on them...

These were collected from MAFs I've seen. The Bosch p/n from the "element" may include date/mfg codes.

Vehicle: VW p/n : Bosch sensor P/N
TT 225 : 06A 906 461E: F00C 2G2 040/082 213 A
2.0 : 06A 906 461A: F00C 2G2 032/282 08 1C
TDI : 06A 906 461 : F00C 2G2 056/089 04 2B

The "elements" may have different calibrations. I know when I tried a 2.0 sensor in my TT, it experienced surging when cold. I assume this is because the ECU could not use the O2 sensors to properly control the a/f ratio until they heated up, and had to rely soley on the MAF, which was providing an "incorrect" reading (it was a new MAF). The surging went away when I went back to the stock MAF.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Elder Member

Default exactly . . .

and none of the "tuners" out their care about that. They are all in the biz of selling product, not selling it to work with everything else out in the market place.

This is why one company sells an FMIC and nobody makes a chip for it. Not until we begged and pleaded with Garret to do something. Nobody else makes a chip to take advantage of a FMIC. People have been asking APR for an FMIC specific chip for about 2 years, their answer is they will have a chip when THEIR FMIC is ready for market.

The same thing goes with an exhaust. Are the chips being developed with a stock exhaust or an aftermarket exhaust? If stock, then where is the chip for an aftermarket exhaust? If the chip is developed with an aftermarket exhaust then what about those with ONLY a chip and a stock exhaust? Which exhaust was used during tuning of the chip?

Same thing goes for intake systems. Not a single chip tuning company has created a chip to take advantage of anything an intake might or might not be doing.

Same thing for modifying the intake manifold, the downpipe, changing the cats . . . you name it, EVERYTHING needs to have a new chip created to fully take advantage of what you just purchased.

Look at the Japanese market, they have ALL of this in place. The German market does not and I don't see it ever happening.

Quick Reply: What is causing the MAF failures?