TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

why is my TT overheating when the coolant level is correct?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my TT overheating when the coolant level is correct?

My 2001 TT has started overheating. After 5 minutes the temperature gauge is at 90, after 10 minutes it is in the red and then the warning light comes on. The coolant level has been checked, there are no leaks. The on board diagnostic shows the engine coolant as 90 degrees c. I don't know if this is'normal'. My mechanic says its not the water pump. He is away for 2 weeks and I need to know if there are any precautions I can take to drive short distances which I will have to do next week.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely, the engine thermostat is stuck closed. Beyond that it could be a blockage in the cooling passages of the engine.

I had a turbodiesel that was acting as you describe, getting into the red after about 10 minutes. Driving it just short distances and letting it cool down for hours in between each drive worked fine for a while, then I blew the head gasket and was looking at a $2000 repair or replacement bill. Overheat is no joke.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mxmissile
My 2001 TT has started overheating. After 5 minutes the temperature gauge is at 90, after 10 minutes it is in the red and then the warning light comes on. The coolant level has been checked, there are no leaks. The on board diagnostic shows the engine coolant as 90 degrees c. I don't know if this is'normal'. My mechanic says its not the water pump. He is away for 2 weeks and I need to know if there are any precautions I can take to drive short distances which I will have to do next week.
Could also be the radiator fan motors and/or controls. I don't know how your mechanic verified the water pump. You could still see flow even if some of the impellers are missing. If it is the original water pump. the impeller is plastic and it is notorious for pieces breaking off. If the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, etc have not been replaced in the past 5 years or 60K miles, you need to do it IMMEDIATELY or risk a $5K+ repair when the water pump fails, breaks the TB, and bends all of your valves.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

when I parked up yesterday before the temperature gauge came on and unscrewed the coolant cap it bubbled up to the top - is that normal?
Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Does it overheat at highway speed or just in slow or stopped traffic? Do both fans run? At high speed when AC is on? Do both fans run when HVAC temp indicates 100C+ Even with AC off? Bubbling in the reservoir when cap is removed is fairly normal on a hot engine. When pressure is relieved the boiling point of the coolant lowers and the water can flash to steam and push coolant into the reservoir.
If temp stays at 90–95C on highway but goes higher at low speed, suspect fans. If it overheats at highway speed, suspect thermostat or water pump. ( provided the radiator is clean and not clogged.) Blown head gasket can also creat overheating but there is usually coolant loss and steam from exhaust during warm up. Good Luck!
Old 08-11-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I haven’t gone faster than 40mph and have not been on the highway since it started happening. The gauge goes into the red which is nearly 130 but only after 10/15 minutes regardless of speed.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do the fans turn on?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also I don’t have AC as such but the fans blow in air and they seem to be fine
Old 08-11-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Specifically the fans attached to the radiator, not the fan that blows air in the cabin
Old 08-12-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I’m not sure!

Quick Reply: why is my TT overheating when the coolant level is correct?