TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Xenon lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 05:39 PM
SuzeTT

Default Xenon lights

I'm concerned about xenon headlights. Are these very bright lights made for just driving on deserted roads in the country? I understand they blind oncoming drivers. Is there a switch for low beam, high beam, and xenon? Or are the xenons on all the time? My concern is that xenons may cause road rage. I've metioned xenon lights to a few friends and they were instantly upset because they've been blinded by them. Anyone experience any problems?
Old 08-25-1999, 05:43 PM
Denny

Default They've been just incredible so far, best ever (more0

They are self-levelling -- think that is kind to the oncoming traffic. I've had no problems with people flashing their brights at me thinking I had on my high beams. In my last car, without Xenon's, that used to happen all the time. At night, when you put on the high beams, it's like Monday night football.
Old 08-25-1999, 06:28 PM
Robert Fogt

Default Re: Xenon lights

While it is true that the Xenon lights are very bright, they are very carefully controlled projector beams. When driving downhill into an area where the road rises up ahead of you, you can see the pattern that they cast - a sharp horizontal line across the landscape ahead, below which it looks like daylight, and above which it is totally dark. Additionally, the right beam is focused a bit higher than the left. And nobody has ever flashed me for high beams. You'll like 'em!

Bob Fogt
Old 08-25-1999, 06:28 PM
andy

Default xenon lights

I've had afew people blink, but when you're on a straight level road, there's no problem. They seem to point just below the beltline of most oncoming traffic. Great lights!
Old 08-25-1999, 06:58 PM
Daniel Tully

They are terrific lights. Some people have flashed. What I did was attach my Daylighter pencil beam lights that were on my CJ-7 onto the roof of my TT. I just flash those on and that's the last time they flash someone ! Then they have to have they're retina(i) checked out. (Just kidding on the last sentence or two)
Old 08-25-1999, 07:26 PM
SAF

Default "Warming up lights"..."Check!"

Have had no problems, but wonder what the "self leveling" thing is all about! <i>My</i> headlights aren't moving up or down! And has anyone seen a TT that <i>didn't</i> get the Xenon option? BTW, the foglights are useless. Would love to upgrade those some how.
Old 08-25-1999, 08:47 PM
skelley

Default Re: Xenon lights (right higher than left)

And I thought it was just me.

Why is the right higher than the left ?
Old 08-25-1999, 08:58 PM
Cliff Melick

get them. u will like them. they do not cause anyone discomfort. i have them om my acura tl, and have not had any problems. i am getting them on my audi coupe. /cliff
Old 08-25-1999, 09:01 PM
Cliff Melick

Default Re: They've been just incredible so far, best ever (more0

denny: have u been avoiding the wednesday nite chat on the yahoo ownes club site? why? we miss u /cfm
Old 08-25-1999, 09:02 PM
Cliff Melick

Default Re: They've been just incredible so far, best ever (more0

denny: have u been avoiding the wednesday nite chat on the yahoo owners club site? why? we miss u /cfm

Quick Reply: Xenon lights