TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

XPLCITT have a couple of questions for you....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPLCITT have a couple of questions for you....

I dont mind the older radio with the DVD but do you think the sony dvd and xm combo I had a pic of below is any good?? I like the unit due to having red light like the OEM. The guy at the store said should be no problem clearing the TT opening when door open. Just wondering what you thought. Dindt know if it would be a piece of crap if I decided to get it.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default to be honest, i haven't done the Sony brand in a TT, so....

... i can't really tell ya if the door will close.

as far as in-dash screens, i've tried the alpine, pioneer, eclipse, and kenwood DVD players, and they all did NOT allow the door to close.

if you do decide on the sony, make sure you get in writing that the salesman said it would clear WITHOUT jamming any of the cables coming out of the back, because i believe that it will fit with a little "pushing". not that it'll hurt anything, but there's more chance of a wiring mishap down the road, you know? and that would totally suck...

and remember this unit does NOT have a built in DVD player, are you going to get the sony dvd changer?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:53 PM

Default I wasnt sure if I had to get the sony changer or not...I know the unit does not come with

player but thought about getting something and mounting it in the glove box....Which units have you found that would clear the TT cover easly?? I didnt really want the unit sticking out a bunch just to clear that cover though also. I appreciate all the info keep it coming please...
Old 02-09-2004, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default unfortunately i haven't found one that clears the cover YET... but i'm anxious to see >>

... whether the new products that I saw at CES will be able to. With most of the manufacturers going the way of 6.5' to 7" widescreens nowadays, it's almost necessary to have the extra room in the unit.

If I recall correctly, from what I saw at SEMA and CES, the new units from Pioneer (the <a href="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/press/release/detail/0%2C%2C2076_4313_30704201%2C00.html" target="_blank">AVIC-N1</a>) and Alpine (the <a href="http://www.alpine-usa.com/news/020304/news.htm" target="_blank">IVA-D300</a>) APPEARED to have faces which weren't as thick as current models, so those might be an option (but don't quote me on that, I do wear thick glasses...).

I'll tell ya one thing, I'm definitely in line for that new Alpine unit... it's SICK, I tell ya. SICK.

I wish I could give you more information, but that is pretty much all I know about that particular Sony unit. I DO know that 599 isn't that bad of a price, considering that I was selling those at 999 when they first came out awhile back. Who knows? Maybe when the newer Sony units come out, that price may drop even more...