TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Your thoughts on repairing a TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on repairing a TT

is this even worth considering?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=579721596

Without having seen the car, it looks to be only body damage, except for the front window/A pillars "frame". Is there anything obvious to look out for? What problems with the car can there be that would make this be a bad decision? Thanks in advance!

- Erik<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=579721596">wrecked TT</a></li></ul>
Old 04-18-2001, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default except for the front window/A pillars "frame" ?? - that's a *huge* problem I suspect...

Those 'pillar's are re-enforced into the front frame part of the car, running up through the window frame. If these are bent or stressed, I suspect you will never be able to get it right again.
If you are serious about this, I would take these pics to a reputable dealer and body shop, and ask them.
Was this thing rolled? Sure looks like it.
You may have more mechanical problems than you know.
This "easy fix" could cost you mucho-headaches in the future.

Run away!
Old 04-18-2001, 06:12 AM
JHC
AudiWorld Member

Default I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

This car may have not been rolled over because the bars behind the seats don't look damaged. Did the drive slide it under a truck?

Just from the photos, I think you're in for huge problems. It looks like the A pillars are bent. Remember the windsheild is an important structural member particularly in the TTR. I've driven a car with "repaired" A pillars- it's like wearing a wool sweater that been wash in hot water- damn uncomfortable.

If you're trying to get a fixer upper- this isn't the one.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:22 AM
Elder Member

Default That car would be good for only two things . . .

1. Chop off the windshield and turn the car into a full race car, install an 8 pt rollcage and have LOTS of fun with it . . .

or

2. Bring it to a crusher and put the poor thing out of everyone's misery least of all the cars

Since you want to use it for daily transport . . . I would stick with my second suggestion and not touch it.

The windshield on the TTR is a structural member and needs to be perfect!
Old 04-18-2001, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default $13,000 looks to be way more than the car is worth. I can't say without close inspection but with as

...much major damage as there is that can be seen i would assume there is much that can't.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:45 AM

The seller claims it's an "Easy Fix" ... yeah right!
Old 04-18-2001, 07:06 AM
Elder Member

Default Stay Away from it!! His reference to "Salvage Title" is a giant red flag...

...if his insurance company wouldn't fix it given the FMV for the car in good condition, it is very heavily damaged and not an "easy fix" or an innexpensive fix by any means.

Ask yourself this simple question: why isn't he fixing iy himself? His excuse of "not enough time" is not remotely credible given the type of car and the car's expected value.

Don't bid on it (BTW, the seller's ramblings in the description also reveal him to be a jerk) and don't buy it.
Old 04-18-2001, 07:13 AM

Default Thanks for the feedback guys

It's pretty much what I expected to hear... I was hesistant at best before posting this thread - now I will just forget it. Guess I need to keep saving...

*kicks self for not selling stocks 1 year ago*
Old 04-18-2001, 07:23 AM
Elder Member

Good choice. Once salvaged (title) it will NEVER be worth anything near the $46K he claims.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:16 AM

Default Besides ... he doesn't seem very honest ... why not post the cause for the collision?

He's just trying to get some sucker to give him cash for a car he totaled.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on repairing a TT