TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Audi stupid to phase out 3.2L v6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi

Originally Posted by The Pretender
Would like to see the 3.6 litre Passat R36 300 hp engine in the TT.

Brand new engine,cool.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Test drove another TTs yesterday. Don't see the 3.2L as significantly slower. More like with the TTs, one is stripping out some feel of a powerful car by the lack of engine timbre (ahhh, the sweet hum of a v6 or larger). Was again very impressed by how peppy the TTs is and that it does not sound strained at high sppeds (ferequent for a 4cyl. Had two reasonably pronounced episodes of lag during the test drive....and knowing you need to go or suffer potential harm (collision) is enough to concern me (once bitten by lag, twice shy). I'm going to purchase the 3.2L. I'll take a few mpg hit but anyone puppying up for one of these cars should not care about this issue IMHO (or at least have it as the deciding factor). An aside....the interior of the MK2 blows the MK1 outa the water, nice job Audi. I'd always thought the TT (MK1) once of the most comfortable sportscars out there for that price range. IMHO, the MK2 IS the most comfortable sportscar out there (have driven Boxsters, SLKs, BMW 135 in the past couple of weeks).

BosTTon
Old 10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would consider it significantly slower(it's a solid .5 slower to 60). 250HP from a 3.2 liter engine is pretty weak for 2009. If Audi bumped it up to 300HP I'd be more interested. That's just my take though.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, serious gut check time for me as I drove my 3rd TTS today. I see the appeal of the engine but again could detect the lag, the salesman said it was for some people an issue, saw reference to it in three drive test reviews....but darn if it ain't peppy! I guess my biggest hangup is that I've all but brownstriped the underwear on more that one occasion in intersections due to turbo lag.

The good news is that I found a guy who is selling his 2009 fully loaded 3.2L.....his wife recently found out that she is pregnant and so it's bye bye 2-seater. Funny that this is the second time I've picked up a low mileage sportscar at a discount. Audi has the competition in the TT range beat with their plush interiors (relatively speaking) and Quattro (at least in cold weather/snow regions). Here's to hoping that they can sell alot of the TTS (it's not like the v6 did much for them) and keep the focus on high end sportscars (no, the R8 does not count). A +300hp TT would be very sweet. Santa are you listening?

BosTTon
Old 10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stop the whining about turbo lag. It is occurs only when staring from a full stop. It is a combination of the transmission deciding what to do and the slightly slower spool up time due to the larger turbo. But when it goes it really goes. The TTS is significantly faster than the V6 TT and the lighter weight results in much better handling and ride. If you want to eliminate any turbo lag at start, use LAUNCH control. Launch control and the super quick shifts makes the DSG faster than a manual. Also the TTS has zero loss in power when climbing mountains and gets better gas mileage.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awss4
Stop the whining about turbo lag. It is occurs only when staring from a full stop. It is a combination of the transmission deciding what to do and the slightly slower spool up time due to the larger turbo. But when it goes it really goes. The TTS is significantly faster than the V6 TT and the lighter weight results in much better handling and ride. If you want to eliminate any turbo lag at start, use LAUNCH control. Launch control and the super quick shifts makes the DSG faster than a manual. Also the TTS has zero loss in power when climbing mountains and gets better gas mileage.
Even on the base model TT 2.0T the lag wasn't that big of an issue. It's head and shoulder better than the WRX's turbo which had an on/off switch. Turbo still loses power at higher altitude just not as bad as naturally aspirated engine.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awss4
What a moron. Have you ever hit the gas with a lagger, it didn't move as expected and you watched as oncoming traffic barreled down on you? Yea baby, I'm gonna launch from my stops 24/7. Right. I agree with you about the pepy ride....but so much lag is really unacceptable for a sportscar....and it's clear from professional reviews (or even salesmen trying to sell me the TTS) that the lag is an issue. Ultimately it is the purchasers decision but it's bad for Audi, whose status diminishes by having the product but no alternative for that model.

BosTTon
Old 10-29-2009, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

BosTTon: I tried the 3.2 TT and personaly I did not like the lack of power. I got the TTS and I'm very happy with the power, plus I knew I could just chip it and have more power.
Guess what, yesterday I did stage 1 APR 93 octane upgrade and WOW !!!
Remember, the advantage of the TTS is= more power in stock mode and MORE power with a simple ecu upgrade.
Either way enjoy any TT you get.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with you 100%. The bottom line is that the TT is a great car with MK2 a nice improvement vs. MK1. Also, having just tested a bunch of sports cars, I think it safe to say that Audi probably does the best job with interiors with the exception of the Lexus sc430. Unfortunately, with the Lexus, you don't feel like you have a v8 300hp....it's more like you are sitting in your livingroom while driving (boring car responsiveness, no road or engine noise, heavy car). Can't wait to see what the magnetic suspension change does for me when roaring through mountain roads..

Cheers,

BosTTon
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeroCaviTTy
BosTTon: I tried the 3.2 TT and personaly I did not like the lack of power. I got the TTS and I'm very happy with the power, plus I knew I could just chip it and have more power.
Guess what, yesterday I did stage 1 APR 93 octane upgrade and WOW !!!
Remember, the advantage of the TTS is= more power in stock mode and MORE power with a simple ecu upgrade.
Either way enjoy any TT you get.
I also got the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade yesterday and there definitely is a noticeable difference. It should have come stock with 320HP!

Quick Reply: Audi stupid to phase out 3.2L v6?