TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Audi stupid to phase out 3.2L v6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMick
If you visit any US Mk 1 TT forum, 90% of the owners have 5/6 speed 180/225 Quattros.

The 3.2 and FWD hardly show up on the radar.

Audi USA decided to change the recipe for the Mk 2 and ,it is a technical success but a sales flop.

They have alienated the majority of the Mk1 owners.

I suspect unless I can afford an R8 (they hopefully will still have a manual), my next car will be something else.

The sad thing is, it was an easy fix, a four cylinder with around 265 hp , 6 speed and Quattro . The ingredients are still sitting on the shelf.
Maybe all of those GM and Crysler executives that got ****canned for their stupidy have moved on to employment at Audi?

Audi USA = morons
Old 11-28-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BosTTon
Maybe all of those GM and Crysler executives that got ****canned for their stupidy have moved on to employment at Audi?

Audi USA = morons
Well, the MK2 front drive and the Mk2 3.2 both had a relatively short production run compared to the MK1 225. That would explain why so few have them. Living in the northeast my 08 3.2 was by far the best choice. I'm so impressed with the 3.2-stronic-AWD combination its suprising they did not sell more of them. I'm guessing money was the factor. Again, its a shame the pulled the 3.2
Old 11-28-2009, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BosTTon
Putting aside the question of how much faster/slower the 6cyl vs. 4cyl is (IMHO, both are quite nice), the bigger issue (and where I hoped this thread was going) was the general question of what the heck Audi is thinking by going with a sportscar with:

4cyl
turbo w/lag
no manual tranny

I appreciate that the TT has not been flying off the dealership lots for a few years. Sales have not been good (which is prolly a good thing as it makes people notice yer beautiful car more as it's a pretty rare sighting!). But those thinking sportscars and not the select few who will chip their vehicle, drive the DSG in manual or launch the car at every opportunity (reducing/elminiating lag and being overall nutjobs) will balk at the config of the 2010 TTS. Look at what Porsche and BMW have to offer....auto trannies?........auto trannies are pretty hard to get because people don't want them in their Porsche or BMW (or S2000). The MB SLK is mainly found config as an auto tranny but is thought of as mainly a chick car. People buy the MB SLK because of the hardtop or looks, not because of performance.

My take is that Audi has given up on trying to compete as a serious sportcars provider (at least with the TTS) and is targeting the people who would not normally gravitate to what many consider a serious sportscar. Now I know this will anger the TTS owners who are happy with their vehicles and think nothing of 4cyl, turbolag or no manual tranny....but the bottom line IMHO is that Audi has conceded the market to the other players.

BosTTon
If you live in Boston, and I live not to far from that city, the TT is the only car option if you want to drive a sports car year round where snow if a factor. The car is fast with a 0-60mph in 4.9 sec. The only issue is lag, which cannot be as bad as my old 225 was. I have been driving TTs since 03 and there has been no competition, in its price range, with the advantage of year round AWD.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have to admit that is my sentiment exactly! When I was looking for a 2 seater the fact that this car is as beautiful as it is and has such a great reputation behind it for it's ability to drive year round...unlike any other sports car made the all wheel drive was the biggest factor of course the s-tronic was also. I too live in the north east and we get a fair amount of snow and even though I'm in the city they do not plow when they should meaning I am usually traversing the city streets without them being plowed and in the past it was a slight nightmare but with the TT it's a breeze and I'm sure will be even more so because I have true winter tires on. All in all the only spotscar that can be enjoyed year round here in the states .
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I do live outside of Boston therefore my handle. I recently bought my 3rd TT and 4th Audi (had a 2001 A4 1.8T) since 2000. I've also owned an SLK320 and a Boxster S (on loan from my brother for a month). Am blown away by how well the A4 drove in snow but cannot say I was as impressed with my 2001 or 2004 MK1....the car is just too light. Yes, either one blew the SLK320 out of the water (had the Boxster during the summer so can't compare) but the MK1s were not the kinds of cars I'd want to heavily rely on in the winter (and ALL of my cars have had top quality all seasons tires). In contrast, the A4 completely blew me away how well it handled in the snow. Think tank..

I am very curious about how my MK2 will perform in snow....see it as a hybrid between the MK1 and the A5...a bit heavier....will see in a few weeks what it can do. Did take the MK2 up in the mounatins of VT and NH (have a house in VT) a few days ago....was very impressed.....and quite surprised. The MK2 is so much quieter than either MK1. Was at times very hard to keep track of how fast I was going (and the car does seem faster than my 3.2L 2006 TTR w/DSG) and the ride was MUCH smoother. In a way, I was disappointed as I like to feel the road but at the same time I must admit the ride was exceptionally nice, quite plush. I do feel the biggest benefit and joy driving the MK2 vs the MK1 will be with the top down. Do agree....Audi makes the nicest sportscar in it's price range...AWD, nice stereo (relative to what's in the Boxster, MB, BMW), most comfortable seats in it's class, xenons....and the best auto/manual out there (maybe except what's in the new Boxsters). My only complaint is the current configuration of DSG with the 4 cyl turbo. I am 3.2L all the way.....or it's another make of car for me. Almost wish I could own an MK1 3.2L and my MK2....both great cars....but different cars. Damn I love cars..

BosTTon
Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bmoney
The 3.2 TT costs the same and is significantly slower than the TT-S so I can see why they got rid of it. For 600 bucks you can get your ecu flashed and the HP gets bumped to 320. There is also a 3-5 MPG difference between the 2 engines as well. Call me crazy but I actually have more fun driving the TT-S than I did my 08 M3.
I guess the flash would void the warranty? Is $320 the mkt rate or can get it for lower?

Originally Posted by ZeroCaviTTy
Guess what, yesterday I did stage 1 APR 93 octane upgrade and WOW !!!
What exactly is that uprgrade?

Thx.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default GREAT LEATHER

I think the color combo on your seats is fantastic. Wish I had them
in my new red 2008 TTr 3.2 manual in stead of straignt black. It really sets the car off.
What color is the exterior?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by john mood
I think the color combo on your seats is fantastic. Wish I had them
in my new red 2008 TTr 3.2 manual in stead of straignt black. It really sets the car off.
What color is the exterior?

If that question was for me, the exterior is black. Have pictures of the car plus my 2 MK1s and the SLK at my profile page.

Cannot believe this thread resurfaced! An aside...was down in Washington D.C. the past few days. Was surprised....saw a few MK2s, coupes and TTRs, much more than up here in good ole New England! Saw a beautiful red MK2 TTR with a black top near the convention ctr. Pretty car!

BosTTon