TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Boost Leak Solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Boost Leak Solved

I've been struggling with various boost leaks since installing the IE intercooler and USP turbo discharge kit. Seems like I would adjust one silicon pipe and clamp, and another would start to leak. Each time I found a leak I went to a t-bone clamp at that spot. I finally ordered the APR boost leak kit. Along with my own air compressor I finally resolved the leaks, I hope anyway. Once the system was charged with pressure, I could pretty easily tell where the final leak was coming from, which was the silicon pipe between the discharge pipe and intercooler. This leak was on the discharge pipe side. I previously thought it was on the intercooler side, so this kit helped me figure out where the remaining leak was. It also helped me be sure that my adjustment of the hose and clamp resolved it.

But something very unexpected and scary happened. After the fix, I started the car and tons of smoke poured out of the exhaust. It lasted for 10 or 15 minutes, even after warming the car and driving it around the block. I could only imagine my poor rings or valves or something very serious and expensive. It finally went away. My best guess is that the simulated boost pressure caused a build up in the crankcase, and pushed oil past the PCV and into the intake. I had the simulated boost pressure going for a good 20-30 minutes as I was fixing the leak and verifying there were no more leaks. I guess the technique pushed a ton of crap thru the intake. I hope now it didn't foul the plugs. I'll take a look at my next opportunity.

I do have a 034 catch can kit on order for the last month or so. Slow to build and/or ship it.