TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Carbon Fiber Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Anyone??

Im in the market for a new hood,unfortunate events have caused this, therefore i have money to cover a Carbon Fiber Hood. Havent seen anyone in the TT community fit a carbon fiber hood before, therefore my research is a bit limited thus im on here asking you guys for some guidance, info you might have, fitment issues (if there are any) and reviews.

The two companies that i have found are Seibon & ViS. Lets keep TID out of this discussion, im not too fond of their hood bc its just not my cup of tea. If there is a product or company i missed, please clue me in. Moreover, i plan on painting over the carbon in the original Ice Silver Metallic that my car is now, but i have been thinking of going two tone in which i have a off center racing stripe similar to the picture below, in which the carbon fiber will be poking thru where the hood doesnt receive paint, rather just a clear coat. Show me some pics as well if u have any

Seibon:
http://www.seiboncarbon.com/product....d=TT&year=2008

ViS:
http://www.visracing.com/newcatalog/...iber-Hood.html

Racing Strip Examples:

Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey TTmk2,
As cool as the carbon fiber is...I'm just not into the fad. I love the TT the way it is, I think the 2 tone ruins the visual appeal IMO. Of course that is just my opinion but I'm sure there will be people on who have a completely different sku. There seems to be a big aftermarket for carbon everything! from the intereior elements to front chins and rear bumpers. May be that I'm so into the the TT design that I don't really think it needs the enhancement.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay I just read your post again and misunderstood what you were thinking of doing. The off center stripe of the carbon coming through sounds nice but then how do u continue the stripe ? Is the carbon lightweight? forgive my ignorance just trying to understand.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

carbon fiber on average is 10-20lbs lighter than stock
Old 03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey TJ! Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for going with a carbon fibre hood? If it's done tastefully I'm not biased against it, but you do know it does have that "ricer" stigma.

I like the idea of the carbon stripe, but what happens to the stripe after it leaves the hood? Are you just going to do the stripe on the hood? Or are you going to continue the stripe in (black?) over the rest of the length of the car?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Regina_TTS/Q5
Hey TJ! Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for going with a carbon fibre hood? If it's done tastefully I'm not biased against it, but you do know it does have that "ricer" stigma.

I like the idea of the carbon stripe, but what happens to the stripe after it leaves the hood? Are you just going to do the stripe on the hood? Or are you going to continue the stripe in (black?) over the rest of the length of the car?
the stripe is out of the question, i will be painting the top shell in the original ice silver metallic paint, and just clear coat the bottom half of the hood..
why go carbon fiber? well, why not, its not a typical mod on TTs, so theres my reason for it, if its never been done or seen doesnt mean its not right to do, u know what i mean?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Word. I say do it. Especially if it's painted and the insurance claim is paying for it anyhow! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone know the make and model of car which is the fourth one down in the photo sequence, just below the Mustang? What a beauty ! It would look good in my garage next to my TT.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by XS2K
Does anyone know the make and model of car which is the fourth one down in the photo sequence, just below the Mustang? What a beauty ! It would look good in my garage next to my TT.
Lotus Exige S
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTMK2_TJ
carbon fiber on average is 10-20lbs lighter than stock
If the idea is to make the car lighter, why don't you just drive the car after going on a diet? You can donate the money you don't use for the mod to help feed the poor..

BosTTon