TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Child Seat for TTS, Please recommend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child Seat for TTS, Please recommend!!!

Hello,

Just ordered a 2012 TTS. I've done a lot of searching for recommendations for a child seat and can't seem to find a definitive answer. My son is 3 years old, his current dimensions are roughly 3 feet and 30lbs. My wife and I are also expecting a second child. We have the britax roundabout for the baby. What would be the best option for each child? Also, would fitting them both in the car at the same time be possible? Maybe my son in the front with airbag off and the baby in the back rear facing...???

I'm trying to assure my wife that I could transport our children if there was an emergency. My wife's car will handle 99% of the transport needs. THanks hope there is a good solution, otherwise I may be switching to an S4 which would be fine, but I love the TTS.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was planning to get a TTRS but after fitting our child seat (which isnt big by any means) in the back of a TT, I dropped the idea.

While it fits, the passenger seat has to be almost completely forward in order to provide any leg room for the child seat in the back.

If you're planning to put kids in it as an emergency only, yes, you can do it. If any more frequent than that, I'd say you need to re-think the purchase. This car should really be a 2 seater. The back seat is more of a shelf or arm rest than any sort of seat. While that sounds like an exaggeration, it really isnt. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done - your best bet is a backless seat.

I have a Safety 1st Go Hybrid Booster seat, and it works great in the TT. It is also a great travel seat for trips where you are renting a car or taking a taxi. You could easily fit 2 in as well. No need to push the front seat way forward either.

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pro...oster-Car-Seat

My 2 year old loves riding in the TTS because he is so close to the "action." One caveat is it is not for trips more than 30 minutes or for sleeping. The angle of the TT's back seat is conducive to neither. I would go with a full size seat and move the passenger seat far forward if you had a long road trip.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

anybody try the RECARO ProRIDE
http://www.recaro-cs.com/us/product/convertibles.html

Dimensions are 11" D x 19" W x (27" to 29")H, seems pretty compact

any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2010 TT and a 3 year old. That means I can use the forward facing seat - as already posted, rear facing is not really a practical solution. The smallest seat, dimension wise I could find was this from Target - not the most high end seat, but this is our second vehicle so we aren't doing any coast to coast trips in it! That said its as safe as any of the seats out there, it just lacks a few extra comfort features. But it fits very well behind the passenger seat and needs only 3-4" of room to the back of the front seat as my 3yr olds legs just hang straight down - so you don't have to cramp up the passenger in the footwell by pushing their seat forward - also very important as its usually my wife, and like many on this forum, fitting a child seat and the wife into the TT was a pre-requisite of being 'allowed' to buy the car. So 2 adults and a child can travel in comfort.

http://tinyurl.com/3eo2mma

The Recaro looks like a fantastic option though as its 6" shorter in depth and has a lot more padding, had I found this i'd probably have bought it instead. Bottom line though if my seat fits well then this will absolutely fit with no problems.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for the info
Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2009 Audi TT. I looked around for car seats since I have a little one. She is now 3 years old and about 30lbs. My wife has a Britax Boulevard. I tried to put that in the back and it would not fit at all. I found the best car seat to be the Recaro young sport. They don't make it anymore. There is a new model out now I think. We do very well on short trips but I have to move the front seat almost all the way up and tilt it up almost all the way too. For short trips it is ok. We have gone on some long trips and my wife is not comfortable in the passenger seat. Also the front passenger will have their knees closer than they want to the knee airbags.

There is not any good way to get a rear facing seat back there at all. And I think 2 car seats would be a stretch. Hope that helps.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Recaro ProRide in my other car - nice seat and it fits but forget about having a front seat passenger as you will have to push the front seat way forward.

Here's another thumbs up for the Safety 1st Seat (this guy has 2 in his TT):

http://forums.quattroworld.com/tt2/msgs/769.phtml

It's backless so saves a lot of space. It's not for babies - but I started using it at age 1, and my kid loves driving around in the TTS.

If you are going to be making long trips, or don't need a travel seat to take on vacations then go with something else.