TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Coming down to the final decision...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming down to the final decision...

After 4 years with my TT 225 coupe and two previous Audis its come down to this:

Do I get a sweet 2008 Manual 328i Coupe for $39k and .9% financing or go for a 2009 Audi TT 2.0L Quattro Coupe with Prestige + for ~$41K and 5.9% financing.

The 3 series coupes are the best design BMW has come out with for a while and I'd like to see what all the fuss is about with RWD and 50/50 weight balance. I also like the idea of having another 6-speed, especially one that's attached to a smooth 230 bhp inline six. I also get two very usable back seats and a very large trunk. The premium and sports packages deliver a lot of nice features for not too much added cash.

BMW's 4 year warranty and maintenance plans are also much better than Audi's. All in all the total cost of ownership will be significantly less than the TT, and re-sale will likely be better. (My MK1 was fairly reliable but there were more repairs than I would have liked in the last 1-2 years.)

I wish the 2.0 was available in a manual and that Audi's reliability was a bit better (my wife's A3 is already having some annoying minor problems after just 6 weeks.)

Anyone else going through the 3 series coupe versus TT decision? Money is a factor for me and the 328i is going for 3k below MSRP with a killer finance rate.

Any idea if 2009 TT's will go for less than MSRP and if the rates might improve?

(PS - the 328i manual coupe weighs 90 lbs more than the 3.2L coupe DSG!)
Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Do you got a wife?

Do what I did... Get the Bimmer for the wife and get the 09 2.0 TTQ for you.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

She has a new A3 2.0
Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Hummm that's a problem then..LoL ------ had some second thoughts>

I want to clarify this is what my wife & I did with her bimmer and my Mk1 .
She got a X5 4x4 and it worked out pretty darn well. We ended up loving them both. Now I sold my Mk1 and I hope to get into a new 09 2.0 TTQ. And I'm sure the rates will get better, why? They have to just look around. Everybody's scared to death because of gas prices and this puts all dealers & financers at a huge disadvantage. For me I'm already sold on the 09's but you're the one that has to live with you're choices. The 328i are pretty cool. My sister owns one and loves it but again that's my sister. After listening to her talk about her baby I realized I wouldn't be happy with the car at all. My wife's X5 with a BMW V-8 on the other hand is a badass. I've out ran Harleys with it! hahaha..
Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know where you live but...

...here in Portland everyone owns a 3 series coupe/sedan! At work there is one in every other aisle in the parking lot! One of my co-workers owns one and hates this fact alone!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I like the balance of the 3-series...

The 3.0 in the 328 is otherworldy smooth. I actually like the feel of the xi a bit more than the i, though. I can't see why that is, because the xi has to be heavier. Do consider their AWD version.

-Eric
Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Drive 'em both ... I did.

That's one reason why I stuck with Audi. I actually drove a 335xi with 6speed and really did not like the feel or throw of the shifter - I found it to be vague, rubbery, and very un-BMW-like. BMW does have a short shifter you can get through their performance division as a dealer aftermarket add-on, that might be worth it. But, I find the shifter on my s-line (it's a short throw also - available only with the s-line from what I gather) to be smooth, short, and direct. That nailed it for me. My wife has a 328xi with steptronic and loves her car. And yeah, 3 series are a dime a dozen here, too, and TTs are almost never seen - another reason to buy the Audi!!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 AM

Default besides the cost factor...

tt is unique. I never see any. BMW 3 series are a dime a dozen.
the other major factor is the manual transmission. To me, that was a big one, and the deciding factor of getting a 3.2.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:06 AM

Default Same dilemma here.What is tilting the balance towards the TT is....

the fact tat my wife drives a 328 sportwagon.
I love the way it handles and that incredible engine.Also there are very few of them in South Florida.I get to drive it every weekend and it's a blast to do so.
BUT,interior fit and finish of the TT(and of any Audi for that matter) i think is vastly superior.
I'm going to be spending a lot of time in that cabin.It better look and feel good.
I also drove a 225 QC for 4 years.
When i returned it that car looked as good inside and out as it did the day i bought.
Tough decesion.
BMW,drives better and makes better financial sense.
AUDI is unique,looks better inside and out and it is a far superior machine when compared to the MK1 you're driving now.
You only live once.
Make that decision with your gut,not your brain.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The simple fact of the matter is this...

based on all the info you laid out, it seems like BMW is the natural choice...yet you still cant pull the trigger...becuase you want the TT....

The BMW makes "sense" but you "want" the Audi.

Quick Reply: Coming down to the final decision...