TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Considering switching to TT or TTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering switching to TT or TTS

Hello everyone -
I just joined the forum and hope to meet some good people and start learning about the TT from those who know about them the most.

I'm nearing the end of my lease on my 2009 Infiniti G37X coupe and am considering switching over to Audi. I'm really starting to like the TT's styling and am surprised that with the 2011 power increase on the TT how close it's come to the TTS in terms of engine performance. Can anyone give me an idea of what it feels like to drive the TT or TTS? I suspect no one can comment on the 2011 TT as it's not quite available yet from what I understand. I've read a lot of conflicting opinions about turbo lag. My G37 has a non-turbo 6 cylinder with 330HP but it's a heavy car so 0-60 comes in at about 5.4 secs. That's kind of the neighborhood I'm used to and would expect give or take a couple of tenths. Acceleration times aren't the only thing I'm concerned with - just doing my best to understand the lag issue/non-issue and if anyone has experience and can compare the it to a non-turbo car similar to mine.

I also live deep in the snow belt and would be using as a daily driver. Winter tires are a must. Can anyone tell me if they have experience with the TTS brake caliper size? More specifically, would I be able to fit 17s on there during the cold months?

Appreciate any of your thoughts and opinions.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never driven the G37 but my cousin have one. tons of power but since its heavy it doesnt feel that quick. I have an 08 2.0T and it feels quicker and even more so chipped. Audi claims 0-60 6.1s on the previous 2.0T engine and with the 2011, 5.3s .. not to mention you can easily chip it and get even more power . But you can also chip the TTS as well and be in the 300hp range. definitely fun car to drive and you also dont see it as often around as you would a G35/G37.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Stoney,
Welcome to the forum...The best I can offer is to test drive them! It will be hard because there are not that many around but to really know what you are comfortable with you have to get a feel for them. When I decided to go Audi I knew I wanted the 3.2 so I searched high and wide....they're out there you just have to do some homework. Last but not least they rock in the snow! I also put dedicated snows on my car (18's)in the winter months and with the quattro it really is unstoppable. Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent driven a G37 but my TTS feels more nimble and every bit as quick as the RS4 it replaced (stage 2 "tweaks" bring the 0-60 time down below 5 seconds).

I bought the TT specifically because of the 4 season capabilities. 17's fit without a problem and I went with a 215 width (Wintersport M3's) to ensure I had sensational traction in the slippery stuff.

BTW, had my GF, 2 sets of golf clubs, a waterski, food cooler, grocery bags, clothes and an 18L jug of water in it several times this summer.

Winter shoes:

Last edited by Stevelev; 12-21-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

We've only had one small snow so far this season, but based on that limited experience I'm optimistic my 2010 TT 2.0 will be the best snow car I've ever driven. It is sure footed going up and down unplowed snowy slopes and around icy turns, while at the same time easy to drift in a controlled way if you lay into it. My one concern in areas with heavy snow would be the suspension height -- I could see it getting bogged down in deeper unplowed stuff.

On the wheel / tire front, last month I put on a set of 225/50R17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's and (from the looks of it) the exact same 17" wheels Stevelev has. Because I only live on the edge of the snow belt (Northern VA), I went with these tires because they offer better cold dry / wet road performance than pure non-performance winters do. After getting used to the slightly different handling feel of the smaller / narrower wheels, the tires have exceeded my expectations in every way.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the welcome and for your thoughts. Our local dealer doesn't have any TTS's in stock so I'll be hitting the road to find one to try soon enough. The things you've all said about handling in the snow is very encouraging. Getting interested and excited.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the ride height and snow. I haven't had a chance to take the '10 out in anything deep yet, but I had my '04 quatro out on an uphill road, unplowed, 6" deep in snow and he went right up it. (That one had 16" wheels with Hakkapeliitta RSi tires.)
Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just bought a 2010 prestige (my wifes daily driver) after 7 yrs. in a ser 1
TT.
Only faults I see are the complicated (compared to a portable Garmin)
navigation and the hesitation when pulling out from a stop. Feels like the
problem that carburators had with bogging, when emission controls began.
My wife doesn't mind it but I can't believe they're leaving the factory
with that hesitation. Make sure you take a test drive with a lot of stop and go situations and decide if you can put up with it.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went from a 350z to an Evo VIII to a standard FWD TT. The TT with snow tires is blast in the white stuff (be sure to turn off the traction control) and as much fun as the Z in the dry. Thank-you light weight chassis!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jagwrjack
Just bought a 2010 prestige (my wifes daily driver) after 7 yrs. in a ser 1
TT.
Only faults I see are the complicated (compared to a portable Garmin)
navigation and the hesitation when pulling out from a stop. Feels like the
problem that carburators had with bogging, when emission controls began.
My wife doesn't mind it but I can't believe they're leaving the factory
with that hesitation. Make sure you take a test drive with a lot of stop and go situations and decide if you can put up with it.
Congrats. One can easily reduce "hesitation" by using "M" or "S" modes. Better yet, go to stage II and forget about that complaint altogether

Quick Reply: Considering switching to TT or TTS