TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

First impressions of the new TT from a Mk. I owner: excellent. I was not expecting to like it...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First impressions of the new TT from a Mk. I owner: excellent. I was not expecting to like it...

... but the new TT is very cool in person. It was the same silver/black 3.2q S-Tronic that everyone seems to be getting as a demo right now. This one was just off the truck so I didn't drive it, but I sat in it and started it up. Visually, the whole thing looks great and I was quite impressed. I don't love every angle, and the lack of a kink at the end of the c-pillar is a huge detraction, but overall, the car is very visually appealing. Aggressive, has presence, and is interesting to look at. <i>It is not as innovative and as groundbreaking as the original,</i> but I think it'd be unrealistic to try to repeat the type of iconic impact the Mk. I had.

The interior was awesome. Overall, it is snug and fascinating, with great lines and details. I love the open feel of the Mk. I (is one reason why I got this over a Boxster), but the tights, enclosed new cabin is very cool. The tactile feel of MOST of the switches/*****/dials is very good, and even though the seats were in the wrapping paper, they felt outstanding.

Drawbacks: placement of the HVAC controls, feel of the fauxluminum vents, lack of definition at the end of the C-pillar, grey plastic lower rear bumper section (likely giving them a way to distinguish S/RS cars), and the side mirrors are HUGE and clumsy looking.

I was not expecting to like it this much, and I'm still very attached to my Mk.I, but I'm impressed.

Bottom line? I believe that it drives as well as people say it does. If/when they release a version with 300+ horsepower, I'm probably ordering one.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

At University Audi?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, but Barrier has one as well. I went to see that too and it's exactly the same.

Silver/black 3.2q with S-Tronic.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rode in one today... I like it a lot..... and.. try out the launch control.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I like it a lot, but it needs more power. My car feels quicker, even if it isn't by much

...(or at all). If there was a 300+ horsepower variant, I probably would have ordered it last night. The handling is fantastic, and all the improvements to weight, rear suspension geometry, and Haldex bias REALLY make the car feel more nimble.

I tried the launch control - the salesman didn't know how to do it properly so I don't think it worked.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just rode in it, I am up here in a work truck and wanted to drive my car up to compare...

Tell him to read page 115 in the manual, it says how to do it. I had to tell the salesperson how to do it yesterday also.

Hold down brake with left foot...
Stomp on Gas and hold with right foot...
Release Brake...

I may do a drive on Saturday when i have my car up here. I am waiting for a 2.0Tq in a couple of months hopefully.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm.... that's exactly what I did, twice. Both times, it would rev to 2K, then...

... when I released the brake, it'd climb revs slowly, then take off at full power. If that was it, it was unimpressive. I *really* think I didn't do it correctly, though, because there HAS to be more fury associated with LC than what I experienced.

I also gave the salesman a ride in my car afterward: "holy ****, this isn't a regular 225..."
Old 04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Shoot me an email... i have a vid of it for you from inside the car.....

you cannot press one then the other... traction control must be off

i have free time tomorrow from about noon to 6 and thinking of going for a test drive this time and not just a ride