TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

flap motor issue audi tt 2008

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading into the code a bit is it possible that my switch itself is the culprit? It seems it's not a simple 2 wire switch but a 6 wire so maybe parts inside of the switch are messing up maybe? Let me know if anyone out there thinks this is correct or not before I go and buy me a new switch.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the flapper motor was the problem cleaning the contacts are only part of the solution. Since the grease caused the sensor to log a value out of the expected one, cause the computer to think something is in the way of the top so don't function, you will need to reinitialize the top. To do so you will need software like Ross-Tech supplies or a trip to a shop with the correct software. Running the initalizing program lets the sensor log a correct value in the computer so it knows it's ok to operate the top. Check out this posting on Ross-Tech's page:Audi TT (8J)Automatic Roof - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 05-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for your insight. I’ll need to get ahold of a vag-com system somehow. You don’t believe the code im
getuhas anything to do with the physical switch? And it’s just a initialization issue?

Old 05-06-2018, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only way to find out is to clear the logs stored in the top module to be sure. Once the you run the i initialization program you will know if the lock switch is the problem. But, until then you are kind of just guessing. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I definitely feel that way, grasping at straws. Does anyone know an economical way of getting a capable vag-com system to work on my 08 tt?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane Loux
I definitely feel that way, grasping at straws. Does anyone know an economical way of getting a capable vag-com system to work on my 08 tt?
I use the OBDEleven. Most, but maybe not every, feature is well documented in the software that you run on your mobile device.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I’m very interested in getting the OBDEleven. Do you know if it has the option as suggested above to reset the convertible system?
Thanks
Old 05-10-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, not sure if I'm having the same problem, though not the same symptoms, as Duane.
My '09 TT convertible top was down into the evening. When I went outside to lock up, I went to close the soft top, it started up then stopped. I let go of the switch and tried again and it closed fully. Intrigued, I put the top down and when i went to close it it would not move. Got the soft top unusable error code with the flashing yellow light. I tinkered with no fix. Finally released the pressure valve and closed the top manually. Thank god the hooks to secure the top engaged no problem. I secured the pressure valve and started tinkering again.

I cycled the top a few times and a few inched from the windshield frame as it goes down just fine. The flaps go down also with no issues, but when I go to close the top it doesn't move at all. The flaps go up and down just fine. I put the top up manually and continued tinkering.

I found that the top closes up as long as it is NOT all the way down. It's as if the mechanism doesn't catch when going up. I can hear the motor in the back so doubt that is the culprit. Something is not allowing it to come back up.

Help!!!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would guess...... YES flapper motor problem. The flapper motor is getting the signal to open and does so. However, because there is grease on the sensor inside the motor itself an invalid value is being sent to the roof module. Therefore the car thinks there is something in the way of the top and stops the going up procedure. The fix is two fold just follow the links above and find someone with the correct software to reinialize the top motors. Good luck
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DownEastTTer
I would guess...... YES flapper motor problem. The flapper motor is getting the signal to open and does so. However, because there is grease on the sensor inside the motor itself an invalid value is being sent to the roof module. Therefore the car thinks there is something in the way of the top and stops the going up procedure. The fix is two fold just follow the links above and find someone with the correct software to reinialize the top motors. Good luck
Well, thank you for taking the time to explain.
I have a feeling it is the same issue too. I checked the links and none have instructions for getting to the sensors. If you happen to have the link, I would greatly appreciate you pointing me to the right direction.

I called the Audi dealer in Palm Beach and explained my situation this morning. The lady told me she didn't know why this may be and proceeded to quoting me the diagnostic fee of $199.95. I told her I found it odd that she didn't know anything about this issue since it is very well documented on all types of forums. She hesitated a bit but said they would have to look at it and to see what the problem was and order parts. I fear they will try to rape me

Quick Reply: flap motor issue audi tt 2008