TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Major issue? Coil packs or trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major issue? Coil packs or trans?

Hey guys so sadly I was driving and out of no where my car started running really rough like on 2 cylinders or something. So babied it to a shop right next to where I broke down and they said it might have to do with the coil packs or something. And then I brought it to my little gas station I always bring it to and they said it might be the trans because it wouldn't even get off the lift and the rpm went to like 4000. Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

So, you got two different guesses? Did either of them read the error codes?

I don't know if a coil pack failure would make the engine race like that. Maybe if the ECU was trying to compensate I suppose. But coil packs are cheap compared to many other problems. You might as well have a set of new ones anyway. They're super easy to swap out.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah. Actually three different bit 2 of them were the coil packs.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Lost a pack on mine

Originally Posted by Georgetts09
Yeah. Actually three different bit 2 of them were the coil packs.
An instantaneous failure with absolutely no warning and the car ran very rough. Likely the culprit
Old 10-20-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
An instantaneous failure with absolutely no warning and the car ran very rough. Likely the culprit
so you just changed the coil pack and it ran normal again? And what's the technical name for it? Is it the injector coil pack?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-TTS-M...gine/Ignition/

This link is for coil pack and spark plugs specific to MY car. Make sure you get ones specific to YOUR car. (Might be the same).

I would do the spark plugs at the same time. Don't know the car mileage. But while your'e there.....

Stick with Bosch, Denso, or VW/Audi coil packs. A good plug brand is NGK. Be wary of "Original Equipment". That's a brand, and not at all original equipment, if that makes sense. I don't know them, so I stayed away.

You don't need to buy them from ECS. You might be able to source them more quickly locally at Napa, etc. or at the dealer. Yes, the dealer....ughh. But it might be quicker.

Last edited by DissenTTS; 10-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Yep

so you just changed the coil pack and it ran normal again? And what's the technical name for it? Is it the injector coil pack?
Packs were replaced under warranty and car ran fine. I too would change the plugs while you are there.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DissenTTS

This link is for coil pack and spark plugs specific to MY car. Make sure you get ones specific to YOUR car. (Might be the same).

I would do the spark plugs at the same time. Don't know the car mileage. But while your'e there.....

Stick with Bosch, Denso, or VW/Audi coil packs. A good plug brand is NGK. Be wary of "Original Equipment". That's a brand, and not at all original equipment, if that makes sense. I don't know them, so I stayed away.

You don't need to buy them from ECS. You might be able to source them more quickly locally at Napa, etc. or at the dealer. Yes, the dealer....ughh. But it might be quicker.
ok thanks very much. Hopefully this works
Old 11-04-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DissenTTS

question I finally got the chance to check on this and the link you sent was for a pack that is one heat range colder and according to the website it' beneficial for car with basic performance mods which mine is a stage 2 but right now stock tune but also like 50 dollars cheaper. Not being cheap but will that be ok? Just checking
Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

question I finally got the chance to check on this and the link you sent was for a pack that is one heat range colder and according to the website it' beneficial for car with basic performance mods which mine is a stage 2 but right now stock tune but also like 50 dollars cheaper. Not being cheap but will that be ok? Just checking
What do you mean a stage 2, but stock tune? Isn't that a contradiction? Can you explain?

You should determine which coils/plugs you need for your application. I'm using these colder plugs with an APR 1+ tune. So far, so good. The ECS site will show you which parts are applicable for your car. Or you can source them from a local parts store.

Quick Reply: Major issue? Coil packs or trans?