TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

To those defending the new TT and those bashing the new TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default To those defending the new TT and those bashing the new TT

I am reading a lot of little temper flares in a lot of the threads here. It's kind of a shame because these forums have generally been a wonderful place to talk about the TTs. So, in an effort to help everyone see eye-to-eye, here's the lowdown on both sides:

FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE THE NEW TT:
The people who bought the original TT did not buy it because it was the best car on the road. They did not buy it for its stellar performance, reliability, or any of that. They bought it because it has a classic bauhaus design that is completely ground-breaking. They do not like the new TT because it now looks like more of an "everyman's car." If they cared about performance, the original TT owners would all be driving lotus elise and STi's.

FOR PEOPLE WHO HATE THE NEW TT:
The people who are praising the new TT like it because it is a fine-looking car. Nothing too dramatic, but sporty. It also handles very nicely and is getting some great reviews on its tech and feel. It is a fun intro into Audi's, and people who like a more established look to their cars such as A6/A4 owners may like a less radical design to begin with. It's a stylish, high-performance car, but not too crazy for them to be uncomfortable.

I think that about sums it up. If you start losing your temper because someone says either "I love the new TT how can you hate it" or "God this new car is fugly," read those two points of view, realize that each person is evaluating the car on COMPLETELY different sets of standards, and go read a thread that will make you happy.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice synopsis
Old 03-15-2007, 05:35 AM

Default I had a 225 Q coupe,loved it,can't wait to get an MK2....

The new one is like the offspring of a TT MK1 with a C6 A6,which is what i drive now,so i'm cool with it.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi could have easily stopped at the Mk I and never make a Mk II.

Developing the new TT or not would not have made or broken Audi, they are a very successful brand even without the TT. I give them credit for recognizing the passionate following and emotion that the Mk I evoked and for answering it with the Mk II, so the TT name lives on and does not become a bookmark in automotive history.

That being said, I view them as two distinctly different cars sharing the same name, but each with their own uniqueness and individuality that will appeal to different people. I loved the Mk I for it's looks, but IMO, the Mk II is a logical successor in which Audi addressed most, if not all, of the Mk I performance shortcomings albeit perhaps at the sake of design.

I'm not sure that I really "want" a new Mk II like I really had to "have" the Mk I, but I'll need to drive one to be sure. There are other current and upcoming cars that certainly stir up more visual emotion than the Mk II TT, so the Mk II better be one impressive drive!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If the new TT was 'tunable' I'd buy one. My MK1 had 290bhp and I can't see myself being 'stuck'

with only 255bhp and no way to upgrade. The MK2 just can't match the torque of a modded 225 turbo engine, especially running on high-octane. Other than that, I like the design, new technology, and great handling from the factory. It is a much more refined car. In my view, all it needed was 'tunability' if they didn't want to give us more power.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Agree with that,its not the same"visceral" reaction i had when i saw the first MK1.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those who dislike the TT mkII, there is hope...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/207407/kia_reveals_plan_to_topple_tt.html">Kia will bring you back to 1999!</a></li></ul>
Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This ought to be interesting.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Per 2553, when the 2.0TQ is released it will have 230 hp.

With a little more torque as well. Now that's a pretty nice version to tune.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is that a joke? A Kia Sportscar?

Sad thing is it probably will sell like they're giving them away.

Quick Reply: To those defending the new TT and those bashing the new TT