TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTS with DSG Issues! Please help! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS with DSG Issues! Please help! (long)

I have a 2009 Audi TTS that I purchased last September. I have been in love with the car. It is everything I need out of a vehicle, it is fast, great looking and functional with the quattro. I have had no issues with the vehicle until recently.

Things seem like they have taken a turn for the worse with the car. On July 2nd, as I was parking the car, the car shifted to neutral and displayed a blinking PRNDS. I could not move the car at all, no matter what gear I selected. I restarted the car and the issue seemed to resolve itself. On July 9th, the same issue occurred when I came to a stop at an intersection. I tried to drive away when the light changed to green only to see the engine rev without any progress. The PRNDS signal was blinking again. I had to restart the car to resolve the issue. The same issue reared its ugly head on July 16th while driving on a side road going about 35 miles per hour. I had to stop the vehicle and restart it to be able to engage the engine.

I contacted the dealer the morning of July 19th and stated my issues. They told me to bring my car right down and said they would get me into a loaner. I was informed that the issue was simply a software reflash pertaining to a current TSB. While in the shop they also addressed a loose wheel bearing and replaced my Haldex system which had seized causing a jerking motion at full wheel lock. I was told by the same dealership months earlier that this jerking motion was "Normal" for cars with quattro.

They reflashed my car with the current TSB and discovered that this did nothing but make the problem worse with the transmission. They then went and ordered a new mechatronics unit. They installed the new unit and fixed the haldex and the loose bearing. I was finally able to pick my car up on August 12th, 25 days later.

Less then 2 weeks later, I experienced the same flashing PRNDS on my dashboard. This time, I could stay in drive, but not use any other gear. While in drive, I could only utilize 1st gear. The car would not shift up when I pulled on the paddle shifters or when approaching red line. I brought the car in again on August 27th. I received a call on September 1st saying my car was ready. They explained that the problem was that the transmission was low 2 quarts of fluid from the previous repair. They filled the transmission to the proper level and called me for pick up. This service lasted 6 days.

After picking up the car on the 1st of September, I left the dealership only to get 3 miles down the road and have the belly pan fall off due to the shop not attaching it correctly. I brought the car back to the dealership and had to return it again to correct this new hassle. My car was ready later the next day, however, I was unable to retrieve it until September 7th due to being out of town.

The car was fine for about a week. Then, yesterday, the issue arose again. When coming to a stop, the PRNDS would blink and I would not be able to move the vehicle unless I restarted it. This happened 3 times within a matter of an hour. I called the dealership and have set up an appointment for my car for this coming Monday. I am beyond frustrated with the car as it is just over a year old and has been in the shop for 31 days and is going to be there for a few more days starting next week.

I have no faith in the transmission. I am always wondering whether I will shift into neutral going down the highway or whether it will act normally after restarting the vehicle. What should I do? Should I bring up the "Lemon Law"? In Connecticut, it is 4 visits or 30 days of being in the shop. How would I go about this? Any help would be tremendous.

Nick
860-459-9821

Last edited by chabot150; 09-16-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chabot150
I have a 2009 Audi TTS that I purchased last September. I have been in love with the car. It is everything I need out of a vehicle, it is fast, great looking and functional with the quattro. I have had no issues with the vehicle until recently.

Things seem like they have taken a turn for the worse with the car. On July 2nd, as I was parking the car, the car shifted to neutral and displayed a blinking PRNDS. I could not move the car at all, no matter what gear I selected. I restarted the car and the issue seemed to resolve itself. On July 9th, the same issue occurred when I came to a stop at an intersection. I tried to drive away when the light changed to green only to see the engine rev without any progress. The PRNDS signal was blinking again. I had to restart the car to resolve the issue. The same issue reared its ugly head on July 16th while driving on a side road going about 35 miles per hour. I had to stop the vehicle and restart it to be able to engage the engine.

I contacted the dealer the morning of July 19th and stated my issues. They told me to bring my car right down and said they would get me into a loaner. I was informed that the issue was simply a software reflash pertaining to a current TSB. While in the shop they also addressed a loose wheel bearing and replaced my Haldex system which had seized causing a jerking motion at full wheel lock. I was told by the same dealership months earlier that this jerking motion was "Normal" for cars with quattro.

They reflashed my car with the current TSB and discovered that this did nothing but make the problem worse with the transmission. They then went and ordered a new mechatronics unit. They installed the new unit and fixed the haldex and the loose bearing. I was finally able to pick my car up on August 12th, 25 days later.

Less then 2 weeks later, I experienced the same flashing PRNDS on my dashboard. This time, I could stay in drive, but not use any other gear. While in drive, I could only utilize 1st gear. The car would not shift up when I pulled on the paddle shifters or when approaching red line. I brought the car in again on August 27th. I received a call on September 1st saying my car was ready. They explained that the problem was that the transmission was low 2 quarts of fluid from the previous repair. They filled the transmission to the proper level and called me for pick up. This service lasted 6 days.

After picking up the car on the 1st of September, I left the dealership only to get 3 miles down the road and have the belly pan fall off due to the shop not attaching it correctly. I brought the car back to the dealership and had to return it again to correct this new hassle. My car was ready later the next day, however, I was unable to retrieve it until September 7th due to being out of town.

The car was fine for about a week. Then, yesterday, the issue arose again. When coming to a stop, the PRNDS would blink and I would not be able to move the vehicle unless I restarted it. This happened 3 times within a matter of an hour. I called the dealership and have set up an appointment for my car for this coming Monday. I am beyond frustrated with the car as it is just over a year old and has been in the shop for 31 days and is going to be there for a few more days starting next week.

I have no faith in the transmission. I am always wondering whether I will shift into neutral going down the highway or whether it will act normally after restarting the vehicle. What should I do? Should I bring up the "Lemon Law"? In Connecticut, it is 4 visits or 30 days of being in the shop. How would I go about this? Any help would be tremendous.

Nick
860-459-9821
Look for an attorney who specializes in this, or see if there is an agency in your state to assist you, or just right a letter to Audi telling them you will sue if they don't buy the car back from you.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since you seem to have a good paper trail, it seems you have little choice but to pursue a lemon law redress. What a major suck situation.

Anyhow I've not read of any amount of significant issues with the DSG. You just happened to have the misfortune of getting a Monday morning manufactured unit.

Here's hoping that you eventually reach a satisfactory conclusion to your mess. Let us know how Audi treats you.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a issue with the level of service with your Audi dealer. You might try a different one.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Could be a issue with the level of service with your Audi dealer. You might try a different one.
Unfortunately, they are the best dealer around my area. I have an Audi dealer closer to me that is absolutely horrendous when it comes to customer service and repairing vehicles. I had brought the car into them for several noises and was simply told, "Oh, thats normal". The dealer I am seeing right now is by far the best in the state and has a great reputation.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Uhh, they are by far the best? They didn't fill the tranny right and then the bottom pan fell off?

They're the best? You must live in German Car Hell.

I'd put up with attitude from a dealer and give it right back to them if it got my car fixed right. Give that other dealer another chance, maybe they know how to work on Audi's and they just have a service manager who sucks at communication.

Obviously you have a problem car and everyone here has given you sound advice, but I've never heard of the problems you've had and I think they are from the dealer who is "by far the best".

IMHO
Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cabern A
Uhh, they are by far the best? They didn't fill the tranny right and then the bottom pan fell off?

They're the best? You must live in German Car Hell.

I'd put up with attitude from a dealer and give it right back to them if it got my car fixed right. Give that other dealer another chance, maybe they know how to work on Audi's and they just have a service manager who sucks at communication.

Obviously you have a problem car and everyone here has given you sound advice, but I've never heard of the problems you've had and I think they are from the dealer who is "by far the best".

IMHO
My dealer is great on customer service, by and large, but I have to say the techs are not the best and brightest. They "fixed" the squealing brakes with a few hard stops, but I had the squeal back in less than a thousand miles. I re-read the article on bedding brakes and fixed them myself (about 5K miles ago). The door hinge groan they had three shots at, the last of which they sprayed anything and everything hinge related with lithium, made a mess, and still didn't get the noise. It was me poking around and listening that finally got to the hinge cap and leached some graphite down the shaft and solved the problem.

Maybe there are better techs at other shops, but it sure seems like a high-turnover position these days.

I'd give it to another shop first, then pursue through Audi USA if not satisfied. If that don' git it, court or arbitration or however it goes in your nape of the timber.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This is a common problem with early '09 DSG quattros.

My '09 tt coupe quattro exhibited the same neutral blinking PRNDS symptoms as you described. The mechatronic unit was replaced and the transmission oil temperature sensor was replaced. This took care of the problem. Months later Audi had a recall to reflash the DSG transmissions. As I understand it, it seems that there was a bad crimp on a wire to the oil temperature sensor. Although I was not experiencing any problems at the time I had my car reflashed. The reflash takes the oil temperature sensor out of service. It also eliminates the 123456 display when you are in D. Audi knows about this issue. You should definitely contact Audi USA. I personally met with the service manager at my dealership, and the Audi service rep for my area, Arizona. I refused to drive the car because it was unsafe to drive. I can only wonder if you car was reflashed properly. Have you experienced a loss of the 123456 diplay in D? I have not experienced any issues with my car jerking. The quattro works fine. Best of luck.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds like my audi dealer in CT. The problem with Audi vs. like BMW is the service stinks. Why stinky, when I had my M3, they replaced everything, I mean what ever was deemed incorrect or faulty, they replaced it no quesitons asked, but Audi, it took the stealer and Audi USA to come to a conclusion to fix my under dashboard involving 5 idiots and 10 days to fix a lower dashboard, yes it was peeling. All you folks with the TT, TTS and TTRS, the lower bottom peels if water sits on the lower dash, also watch out for any..i mean ANY chemicals..even armor all.

I dont trust Audi USA, and I would NEVER get another Audi again because of their crappy service!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 will never buy another audi do to my Audi USA experience.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Might take legal assistance to get this moving in a direction that might actually remedy your problem.

Last edited by CFGTTS; 09-26-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: reason

Quick Reply: TTS with DSG Issues! Please help! (long)