TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

From a 2016 TTS to a 2013 TTRS??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From a 2016 TTS to a 2013 TTRS??????

I have a 2016 Launch edition TTS. It still impresses me when I drive it. I have only one issue and it has not gone away since I traded. I love manual transmission cars. Call me weird or whatever but there is something missing now even though this car is incredible in every other way. I think the TTS MK3 is the best bang for the buck around. I know Porsche guys may disagree. So to get back into a manual I looked at older r8's and 2013 TTRS models. I drove a 2011 r8 and it was amazing even though it was a high mileage car at 69000. it had been ran hard and you could tell but it was still impressive. I was leaning towards a 2010 or 2011 r8 until I saw all of the common repair issues. Shocks,clutch,ac compressor etc. I am not a wealthy man so this drove me away fairly quickly. I have also looked at a 2017 Lotus evora 400. seems like they are not well made. So I went back and looked at the 2012, 2013 TTRS. There are many available with 30,000 miles so what experience could anyone share? The closest one is 6 hours away but I am really curious. I know the interior tech is less but that is not a huge deal for me.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

For information and issues with the Mk 2 models, read this FAQ https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...-MK2-TT-a5-FAQ
The 2 primary defects to look for are taillight connectors and mag ride shock seepage. As the FAQ states, both are easy to discover on the lot. The mag ride failure is a potential $3K repair. There were early recalls for brake squeal.
I've driven a 2016 TTS and a 2012 TTRS and there is no comparison. As a diehard roadster owner, the TTRS is the only coupe I've ever considered giving up my drop top and I did not have anywhere near the same reaction with the Mk 3 TTS drive.
I know 2 people who have owned R8s and later got the Mk 2 TTRS. Both loved their R8s but found the Mk 2 TTRS a much better daily driver with far less maintenance cost (they said you had to remove the entire rear bumper assembly to change the R8 engine oil!). According the Car & Driver Lightning Lap tests at the time, the TTRS lap times were virtually identical to the V8 R8. The Mk 2 TTRS was universally hailed by the car magazines as the best bang for the buck available. However, if you are a track junkie, the TTRS drivers I know have not liked the OEM brakes for heavy track use and have done brake mods.
As you said, the biggest differences you will see going to a Mk 2 is the interior tech with the analog dials and no smartphone interface except bluetooth. The model guide saying what you get is here https://www.audiworld.com/wp-content...12TTRS_opt.pdf

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 12-31-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

What’s your budget? I must admit it had been a while since I had a manual. (2003 A4) And, I was about ready to say that American’s should “get over” the MT thing - the Europeans had driven MT for years, and now seem to be just fine with DSG/PDK. But picking up a 911T rekindled MT love for me. For a pleasure car. If I were tracking, I’d stick to automatic. But (and since I don’t have to commute in traffic) MT has brought back great deal of driving involvement/ engagement.

As for 2016 to 2013... I’d miss the tech going backwards.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Budget is $65000 and down. I am not a track guy so the brakes should be fine. Thank you for letting me know about the mag ride issue . I will definitely look closely at that . I am a little surprised to hear that the MK two is that much better than the 2016 TTS . This will Not be a daily driver, maybe 8000 miles a year .
Old 12-31-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by robbky48
Budget is $65000 and down. I am not a track guy so the brakes should be fine. Thank you for letting me know about the mag ride issue . I will definitely look closely at that . I am a little surprised to hear that the MK two is that much better than the 2016 TTS . This will Not be a daily driver, maybe 8000 miles a year .
I owned both 2013 and now 2018 tt rs. The 2018 is the first non-manual car I've *ever* owned. I highly recommend that if you are going to get a used tt rs, go ahead and get the 2018 model. It's much faster, the tech is much, much better (the 2013 tt rs does not even have a backup camera. For under 65k, you can probably find a nicely-equipped 2018 car.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really want a manual transmission only
Old 12-31-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I am (was?) a serious Audi fanboy, but that said... alas, I went to the dark side for the allure of manual. (For me) I wouldn’t want to go back for a older car - but recognize that Audi is going automatic from this point on... and Porsche seems to still placate with MT for the States. For $65k you are in Cayman MT territory. For low annual mileage, the maintenance shouldn’t be bad. Wonderful car to drive. So I hear - never tried on. This kinda stuff:

Old 01-01-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Should not have been a surprise

Originally Posted by robbky48
I am a little surprised to hear that the MK two is that much better than the 2016 TTS .

The Mk 2 TTRS has 70 more HP than the Mk 3 TTS which is a much larger jump than going from say a Mk 2 TTS to a Mk 3 TTS, and there is no substitute for a manual tranny for pushing you back in your seat. In terms of suspension, while the improvement in handling from the Mk 1 to the Mk 2 was dramatic, handling improvement going from a Mk 2 to a Mk 3 is not that much of a difference based on my test drives. Car & Driver Lightning Lap data shows the Mk 3 TTS with only a slight improvement (3:07.7 lap time) versus the Mk 2 TTS (3:08.4 lap time) which can mostly be attributed to the Mk 3 TTS HP increase. The Mk 2 TTRS came in at 3:04.8. An almost 4 second lap time difference is massive.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 01-01-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Typo, sorry

Originally Posted by Nebuul
source? Mk2 tt rs is 360hp, mk3 tt rs is 400hp, a change of +40, not -70
I was comparing a Mk 2 TTRS to a Mk 3 TTS the OP presently owns (but I wrote Mk 3 TTRS by mistake). The Mk 2 TTRS has 70 more HP compared to a Mk 3 TTS. I corrected the typo in my original post. The OP has no interest in a Mk 3 TTRS. Thanks for catching the typo.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 01-01-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I couldn't possibly imaging going backwards a generation of car.... the Mk3 just kick the MK2's *** in ride quality, interior noise reduction, torsional rigidity, build quality, safety systems.....those are just WAY to many improvements to pass up just to shift your own gears.

I get it...I've owned a few manuals in the "high-performance spec" of some euro-cars, and it's fun. It's involving. It's old-school talent. That's enjoyable, but not as much as all the combined improvements the Mk3 brings, along with the freaking-excellent DSG. Calling this transmission an "automatic" is almost an insult, as the calibration and intuitiveness is down-right something to appreciate all on its own. I mean, as much as I enjoy a good heal-toe downshift in a corner, I can't do it as well as that DSG that skip-shifts with uninterrupted power. After some snowy driving, stop-and-go traffic and some launch-control 0-100 sprints I'm just sold on the DSG, and my manuals fade as memories of cars I loved. That's how I see it, and most do as well. Hence the elimination of manuals. However.....if you love a manual that much, then more power to you if you are willing to overlook all of the sacrifices to obtain one.

I just moved on from my TT and upgraded to a new R8 two weeks ago. No manual transmission for that V10...and I couldn't care less. DSG has one me over for life. I enjoyed my clutch pedal, but I'm ready to move on.

Quick Reply: From a 2016 TTS to a 2013 TTRS??????