TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2016 TTS OVERHEATING?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 TTS OVERHEATING?

Hello. I recently bought a used 2016 tts. I've had the car for a week now and noticed that my engine stays extremely hot after driving only 15 km to and from work even tho I'm not pushing the engine hard at all.. Even after 2 hours of sitting in the garage the engine is still quite warm. When driving the car the engine temperature is always normal and no warning lights come on. Upon further investigation I found an old service record in the glove box stating that the previous owner had the car over heat and they added water to the rad. The car was serviced and had the coolant pump replaced along with the fan. Is it possible this issue was not fixed correctly?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Can you define "extremely hot"? Just seems hot, or what's your oil temp? If your water temp is 4/8 dots and your oil is staying around 220-230 at the highest, you're just fine. I have a feeling there's a slight leak around my thermostat, so I may have to have it replaced too.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Welcome to the forum! Can you define "extremely hot"? Just seems hot, or what's your oil temp? If your water temp is 4/8 dots and your oil is staying around 220-230 at the highest, you're just fine. I have a feeling there's a slight leak around my thermostat, so I may have to have it replaced too.
After driving the car for about 15 mins, pretty much everything under the hood is untouchable. Even when I go to open the hood it's just radiating heat like crazy. I've never had a vehicle with an engine this hot before. Maybe i'm just being paranoid lol.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldebeast
After driving the car for about 15 mins, pretty much everything under the hood is untouchable. Even when I go to open the hood it's just radiating heat like crazy. I've never had a vehicle with an engine this hot before. Maybe i'm just being paranoid lol.
Ignoring your perception of the heat under the hood, the oil and water temperature is what matters. What are they?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by McTTRS
Ignoring your perception of the heat under the hood, the oil and water temperature is what matters. What are they?
Water is 4/8 and oil temp is 200
Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldebeast
Water is 4/8 and oil temp is 200
Being that you are in the great white north, you are talking degrees F right? If so, I had a 2016 TTS and both sound normal to me. I had a tune on the TTS and seem to recall oil temps as high as 220 if really pushed. If I push my current RS really hard, the oil gets up to 215 ish . As compared to older cars, I think the newer cars and Audi's in particular maintain higher heat levels as part of an overall emissions strategy.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

220 sounds you should be pushing it harder! Normally I hover 220-230 and just a bit higher for performance driving. These are high power density engines! Very normal. There's a reason they have an after-cooler coolant pump and fan cycle.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the Info, I appreciate it. I've never had a sports car of this caliber so i'm not entirely sure whats normal or not. Good thing there's an awesome forum for these kinds of questions.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Remember, the TTS uses the most "driven" version of the Gen 3 EA888 engine, which gets the most power out of the family before adding a cylinder for the RS version. It gets a lot of power out of a very small engine with a big turbo, and uses three radiators and an intercooler to deal with it. This is also exactly why you should keep up on all the maintenance Audi requires, as the components and fluids go through a lot more thermal stress than a "normal" engine.

Hope you're enjoying it!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My oil temperature in normal backroad driving is also 220 degF. A high compression 4-cylinder turbo engine providing about 300 HP does indeed run hotter than you might think is normal, but as others have cited just be aware of your instrumentation over perception and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: 2016 TTS OVERHEATING?