TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2020 TTRS vs 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 TTRS vs 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray

As the title says, what is everyones opinion? Comparing them side by side, it seems like the corvette is a clear winner given the price range is almost the same. Despite being a hardcore audi fanboy, I really have to give it to chevrolet with their new generation. Besides the drawback of not having all wheel drive, I don't see how the TTRS could compete...
Old 01-04-2020, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Let's wait and see the quality of the new Vette.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't even consider them direct competitors. You're comparing the base of one line of purpose built sports car to the special edition of a compact coupe which was initially made with style in mind and shares a platform with the VW Golf. Not really a straight comparison.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by crester
I don't even consider them direct competitors. You're comparing the base of one line of purpose built sports car to the special edition of a compact coupe which was initially made with style in mind and shares a platform with the VW Golf. Not really a straight comparison.

I completely agree. And...I think that the buyer demographic is very different, too.

The following users liked this post:
GaBoYnFla (01-05-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Last time I sat in a 'vette (admittedly 3 years ago) I was rather displeased with the poor fit / finish compared to even the base model of most Audi offerings.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpideyTT!!!:
GaBoYnFla (01-06-2020), macaddict111 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:11 PM
isb
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early reviews suggest big interior improvement, particularly with up level trims. C8 looks to be pretty amazing value, and I can see there being some folks who would cross shop.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A C8 Z06 (when available) will probably replace my 2018 TT RS.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm rolling my eyes a little at this title. Look I'm sure the C8 is a great value for the performance, but it also has an ancient pushrod N/A V8. Literally nobody else in the world makes these because they're heavy, antiquated in everyway, and the only advantage is they're cheap. You get a Corvette if your only priority is HP pre $. Again, the C7 was a great leap over C6, and I'm sure C8 will be even better, but the engine alone is a big nope for me.

So personally, my 75-year-old dad has owned 6 Corvettes, and he's exactly the only demographic you see driving Corvettes in America: basically old white guys who grew up when GM was a world-leading car company and the Corvette was a decent competitor globally. Since the 60's, the brand has become a bit of a joke in the auto world, one of those products that up to the C6 got so bad you had to laugh at the poor saps still buying it. I actually went to a Corvette dinner with the Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter. I was the only person there under 40 by far. Someone asked him why they did such radical styling changes on the C7, and he said, in the nicest way possible, that they did a review of who was buying Corvettes and that "the average age grew by about a year, each year."

I think GM is doing their best at making a much better, more globally-competitive C8 at the price-point they're forced to hit (hence why it looks a lot more European), but it's never going to be in the same league as a European sports car. My TTS has half the cylinders AND all wheel drive and does 0-60 less than a half-second slower than dad's 6.2 liter V8. When I drive his now, the build quality and refinement are almost comically bad, and it just feels heavy like a boat (because it is!)

I'm not trying to call people old for wanting a C8, it's definitely going to put all supercar makers on edge that people can buy a sub 3 second machine for less than $100k, but it's still a bit of a tacky, cheap, gawdy car to me. You get what you pay for one way or another.
The following 5 users liked this post by macaddict111:
Dschubba (01-06-2020), GaBoYnFla (01-06-2020), Huey52 (01-08-2020), Kohiko (06-09-2022), Lookout57 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by macaddict111
I'm rolling my eyes a little at this title. Look I'm sure the C8 is a great value for the performance, but it also has an ancient pushrod N/A V8. Literally nobody else in the world makes these because they're heavy, antiquated in everyway, and the only advantage is they're cheap. You get a Corvette if your only priority is HP pre $. Again, the C7 was a great leap over C6, and I'm sure C8 will be even better, but the engine alone is a big nope for me.

So personally, my 75-year-old dad has owned 6 Corvettes, and he's exactly the only demographic you see driving Corvettes in America: basically old white guys who grew up when GM was a world-leading car company and the Corvette was a decent competitor globally. Since the 60's, the brand has become a bit of a joke in the auto world, one of those products that up to the C6 got so bad you had to laugh at the poor saps still buying it. I actually went to a Corvette dinner with the Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter. I was the only person there under 40 by far. Someone asked him why they did such radical styling changes on the C7, and he said, in the nicest way possible, that they did a review of who was buying Corvettes and that "the average age grew by about a year, each year."

I think GM is doing their best at making a much better, more globally-competitive C8 at the price-point they're forced to hit (hence why it looks a lot more European), but it's never going to be in the same league as a European sports car. My TTS has half the cylinders AND all wheel drive and does 0-60 less than a half-second slower than dad's 6.2 liter V8. When I drive his now, the build quality and refinement are almost comically bad, and it just feels heavy like a boat (because it is!)

I'm not trying to call people old for wanting a C8, it's definitely going to put all supercar makers on edge that people can buy a sub 3 second machine for less than $100k, but it's still a bit of a tacky, cheap, gawdy car to me. You get what you pay for one way or another.
OK Boomer... in case you didn't notice... the C8 Corvette is a completely different animal in comparison to previous generations.
The following users liked this post:
ourlee (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah but you say OK boomer to baby boomers. Lol

Quick Reply: 2020 TTRS vs 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray