TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default All Season Tires

My 2019 TTS with 20" wheels will be arriving shortly. As per Audi usual it comes with summer performance tires which definitely won't work here.
I can, however manage with all seasons. but I want to maintain the OE size (255/30 R 20) in order to preserve speedometer / odometer accuracy.
The only exact replacement I've found so far is the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. Never had any experience with Toyos but my tire shop recommends them highly (I trust him but then again he is a big dealer for them).
Anyone have any input or opinion?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
My 2019 TTS with 20" wheels will be arriving shortly. As per Audi usual it comes with summer performance tires which definitely won't work here.
I can, however manage with all seasons. but I want to maintain the OE size (255/30 R 20) in order to preserve speedometer / odometer accuracy.
The only exact replacement I've found so far is the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. Never had any experience with Toyos but my tire shop recommends them highly (I trust him but then again he is a big dealer for them).
Anyone have any input or opinion?
I am in the same boat - I have a 2018 TTS with the same wheels but have been told by many (including Tire Rack) that there is no all seasons in existence that come in that size. Your info is welcomed news...I have used Toyos before and had no problem but would prefer Michelin. The only solution everyone has told me was to go down in size to a 19" wheel, but I didn't want to do that.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Michelin and Toyo are my top two tire manufacturers. Can’t lose either way imho.

I’ve found Toyo to be a bit more performance oriented and Michelin a bit more comfort.

Of course AS are going to be somewhat less performance than Summer tires, but not too much in my experience. I have AS Michelin right now.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
. I have AS Michelin right now.
Do you have them on 20" rims? If so, what size tire do you have?
Old 04-11-2019, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No, 19" OEM rims. I prefer 19" to 20".

Originally Posted by zekeman
Do you have them on 20" rims? If so, what size tire do you have?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I was mainly looking for opinions of Toyo tires since as far as I can tell they are the only ones making an All Season in the OEM 20" size. Tire Rack apparently doesn't even carry them but my tire guy verified that they are available.
I agree with Zekeman that Michelins are a great tire (had their 19" Pilot Sport AS3's on my 2013 TTS) but the closest thing they have is 255/35 R 20 & while the induced error in speedometer / odometer isn't great - it would build up over time since I plan on running these all year round. I had separate dedicated winter wheels & tires for my 2017 Q7 & it got to be a pain having to switch twice a year, pay for storage (no space in the garage ), etc. I discovered with my A4, Q5 & Q8 that I can manage with all seasons for my type of driving around here. Nice part of being retired - if the snow is above the window line - go back to bed .
Old 04-11-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't get my head around 20" wheels with all seasons. It seems like such a sacrifice to the performance of the TTS in non-snow. The sidewall height is very short on the 20's and that's very different from those other cars you listed. Tire shops can storage your tires for a small fee if space is an issue. Otherwise, personally I would wear out the summers they gave you (or at least go as long as you can on them before the snow hits) then buy a complete wheel and tire package in 19's with the all seasons. You may even have more options moving to 19's.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly my current AS-All Year rationale.

And although dedicated Winter tires are still best, AS have improved dramatically in the past few years.

Originally Posted by Cadx6
.... I had separate dedicated winter wheels & tires for my 2017 Q7 & it got to be a pain having to switch twice a year, pay for storage (no space in the garage ), etc. I discovered with my A4, Q5 & Q8 that I can manage with all seasons for my type of driving around here. Nice part of being retired - if the snow is above the window line - go back to bed .
Old 04-11-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

One of the reasons I prefer 19". Another is I just think they look better than the 20" on this vehicle. I'm sure 20" aficionado's don't like when I say it, but they approach looking cartoonish to me (as in Tron-ish). And the rubber band sidewall is only good for the track, and even then there's a good rationale for taller sidewalls.

Originally Posted by Fun101
I can't get my head around 20" wheels with all seasons. It seems like such a sacrifice to the performance of the TTS in non-snow. The sidewall height is very short on the 20's and that's very different from those other cars you listed. Tire shops can storage your tires for a small fee if space is an issue. Otherwise, personally I would wear out the summers they gave you (or at least go as long as you can on them before the snow hits) then buy a complete wheel and tire package in 19's with the all seasons. You may even have more options moving to 19's.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
One of the reasons I prefer 19". Another is I just think they look better than the 20" on this vehicle. I'm sure 20" aficionado's don't like when I say it, but they approach looking cartoonish to me (as in Tron-ish). And the rubber band sidewall is only good for the track, and even then there's a good rationale for taller sidewalls.
2018 TTRS- I had a set of Toyo Proxes 4Plus installed on 20” stock rims just a couple weeks ago. Ride is considerably softer on these than P-Zero OEM summers. Noise level slightly less as well. Car performs the same as to straight line and mountain corners up to about 90%. That’s in the dry. Wet performance is really good as well. Can’t yet speak to the snow performance. Good looking tire in 20” form as well.
The following users liked this post:
skjpope (02-22-2020)

Quick Reply: All Season Tires