TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Audi TT-RS vs. Porsche Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

As you may have seen, I have recently started cross shopping a TTRS with a 911. While this article is the more fair comparison... I am wrestling with the same argument as is made here.
Originally Posted by timzcat
...those buying an RS want the performance but are not necessarily thinking track....
I probably won't find myself on the track much. So, why buy a car that is only fun because it can go sideways? While I like the idea of 'taming the beast', I am not sure a road going tool is really where you should be playing with fire. (Apologies for mixing metaphors.)
Originally Posted by Matthew Gaither
...At any rate, for a daily driver that is also a sports car then I think most of us would probably take the TTRS while for someone who spent all of their time on backroads or only wanted a great handling weekend car then they might choose the Cayman.
Unless you just drive in a circle 'for the fun of it', one day you'll want to carry your weekend gear. Usability of a TT hatch is huge.
Originally Posted by timzcat
What I don't get with the Porsche is how a manufacturer manages to build the same car for 50 years and people still buy them.
This is EXACTLY why I am interested in a 911. While the TT has now survived 3 generations and is a design icon... the 911 is considered a design legend. As a car I might keep for a while, this is the draw for me.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:54 AM
isb
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposedly the Cayman GT4 is pretty close - spy photos of winter testing without camouflage are online. Rumor is it will have a detuned 911 4.0 6-cylinder with around 400HP. That seems like a better match to the TT-RS, though I would imagine it will be $100k+.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the argument is any different for many cars in the Audi lineup. The R8 to Lamborghini is the same argument. The R8 is a DD capable luxury supercar. The Lamborghini is more visceral and I imagine gets annoying as a DD.
I don't DD the TT RS and doubt I will get rid of it unless it is for the R8. The other RS cars are great but I came from the S4 and just don't need the 4 doors and space.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ormandj
Opinions should not be stated as facts.
I see this all of the time and one of my biggest pet peeves. People state opinions as facts and many people think they are facts. This can really confuse people.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ormandj
Opinions should not be stated as facts. Case in point, pull up other C&D articles on the Cayman S or the TT RS. Most of them say the Cayman has a terrible engine note and a stiff ride, and quite the opposite on the TT RS. It really depends on who was reviewing what car on what day on what road/track.

At the end of the day, the general consensus seems to be (eyeball-averaging the opinions from most automotive journals as well as user opinions presented on forums that I've read) the TT RS is the better DD, the Cayman S is more fun on the track. I'm sure there are opinions that differ on this too!

Depending on the type of track, one or the other would win by a small margin, but (I've driven both on the tracks around me) the Cayman is less of a handful to drive to an equivalent time, and certainly provides better feedback. The TT RS is definitely faster in a straight line.

As a daily, with the adjustable dampeners, the TTRS is more comfortable to me, and definitely had more usable interior and storage space. My 60lb dog rides in the back fine with the seats down, and I make Costco runs with it all the time too. No such activities in a Cayman.

At the end of the day, I think few would argue the Cayman is a better track day toy, but I am shocked to see it rated as a better daily driver, by anyone. Either way, my entire point is these are all subjective opinions.
You didn't mention if you read the referenced Car and Driver article, so I'll ask here if you did.

Second, my comments about the findings of the road test comparison were just that - simply comments and observations on that specific article, not the entire compendium of C&D articles, other automotive journals, and forum comments that you reference.

I'm an Audi TT fan as you are, and I certainly agree that the storage behind the seats (accessible by the passenger and driver) is convenient, but one has to acknowledge that the Cayman has two trunks, the rear one being reached through the rear hatch. In addition, the ledge on top of the engine is also configured to accept additional limited storage of items. Admittedly., the mid-engine configuration puts the firewall directly behind the driver/passenger and thus impinges on interior storage room. But overall, the Cayman holds more than most two-seater sports cars, and plenty of room for stuff bought at Costco.

Some comments on this forum are offered by people who have never driven a TT or a Cayman and/or have never owned either. If I'm going to voice an opinion, or hear an opinion from others, the opinions so offered are more substantive and valuable if they come from the perspective of real world ownership or thorough road testing/reporting.

You are entitled to your opinions, and so am I. I don't mind that many of the people in this forum have a passion for the TT. It's a wonderful car deserving of that passion. This comes through in the Car and Driver article, too. But to discount the Porsche because of a simple Audi-bias, is a narrow view that doesn't contribute to the meaningful discussion of this one C&D article, nor the findings therein.

You didn't mention if you read the referenced C&D article, so I'll ask here if you did.

As for the engine sound, the article states: "Rest in peace, flat-six, and long live the turbo four! The more time we spend with 718s - and the further into memory that six's wail fades - the more we like the four. This thing sounds like a goblin, all mechanical grumble and spitting overrun. There even a little aural treat when you turn the car off and the four grumpily clatters into silence as though not all its parts stop moving at the same time."

Peace. And to each, their own.

Last edited by VGM911; 02-19-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
While the TT has now survived 3 generations and is a design icon... the 911 is considered a design legend.
You do have a way with words....nicely said.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

BlackOptic, congratulations on your ordering of a 911T....fantastic car (and a design legend )!

Last edited by VGM911; 02-25-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

What irritates me is Audi's decision to jack prices of the TT across all models over the past 5 years. When the Mk 2 TTRS arrived at $56,851 base MSRP, it was praised by most reviewers as one of the best bang for the buck sports cars offered. Car and Driver's Lightning Lap track tests clocked it faster than Porsches costing $90K and had a time almost equal to the R8. Even with this pedigree, after the initial buying frenzy there were new 2013 TTRS sitting on Audi lots for a year. Now Audi has jacked prices and for the TTRS it is a 14% increase to $64,950 whose price is virtually identical to the Cayman S and in the realm of the Corvette etc begging comparisons with those cars and eroding a tenuous market position. I continue to be amazed, and thankful, that Audi USA continues to sell the TT in the US at a money losing rate of about 2000 a year.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
... Now Audi has jacked prices and for the TTRS it is a 14% increase to $64,950 whose price is virtually identical to the Cayman S and in the realm of the Corvette etc ....
Where exactly can you get a Cayman S for under $65K? If you add the options that come standard with the TT-RS you're past $80K on the Cayman...
Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Believe me, having spent the last 61 days with nothing to do but configure random Audi and Porsche cars... There is a lot of value in the $65k TTRS. Well, maybe only as compared to other German sports cars. I figured that a similar equivalent to a $74.6k TTRS, with 3.8 second 0-60, extended leather, dynamic suspension, LED headlights, all all the trimming would be $141k in a 911. (Only using a 911 because that is what I was looking at, and it was a 2+2 with similar performance times.). If you made the TTRS any cheaper, you'd hear even more backlash from the peanut gallery on how a TT is just a Golf.

Quick Reply: Audi TT-RS vs. Porsche Cayman S