TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Blown Passenger Sub Woofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blown Passenger Sub Woofer

I just blew the passenger door Subwoofer. Car still under warranty so can probably get it fixed that way but considering upgrading both if its an easy installation. Does it require the entire door panel removal or some other method? By the way I have the B&O.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

It does require removal of the whole door panel, I just verified with the repair manual. An OEM woofer replacement doesn't look crazy beyond that, although replacing car speakers can always lead to vibrations, etc, but under warranty not your problem.

The B&O system really needs a subwoofer, but aside from doing this, I doubt you're likely to do any better with the space given. They really did manage to get a lot of bass out of the small woofers mainly using dual-voice coils and good signal processing (yes, each woofer has two amplifier signals going to two separate magnets). These are NOT standard woofer sizes, nor are they likely a standard impedance (although I'd have to measure to verify). They're designed and calibrated exactly for the B&O amp and signal processing. There also isn't a pre-amplified audio signal to tap from, as the amp under the driver's seat is given audio directly from a fiber optic cable, which makes getting a decent bass signal difficult.

Again, aside from somehow making more space for 8" woofers (which there simply isn't given other pieces in the door) and somehow tapping post-amplified signal into your own, generic amp installed somewhere else in the car, you're not going to do better. I'd focus on adding a sub, which several others have done with good results, but again the challenge becomes where to get an audio signal for the after-market amp. Usually people are tapping off one of the post-amped rear bass speakers for a sub...
Old 07-31-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the repair manual from?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

erWin. It's Audi's online service manual site. You pay $30 for 24 hours of access, and you can put your VIN in and download all the manuals and TSB's, wiring diagrams, training programs, etc for your specific VIN. Totally worth it.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Old 07-31-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

here's the woofer from the passenger door. 6.5

7.5 ohms per coil

thinking about getting some of those bazooka tube 6.5 replacement woofers to replace these.

as a side note there is a foam pad inside the enclosure( im assuming to simulate bat material to make the enclosure seem larger than it is.

im thinking about pulling it out and adding real bat material.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jadrex
here's the woofer from the passenger door. 6.5

7.5 ohms per coil

thinking about getting some of those bazooka tube 6.5 replacement woofers to replace these.

as a side note there is a foam pad inside the enclosure( im assuming to simulate bat material to make the enclosure seem larger than it is.

im thinking about pulling it out and adding real bat material.
Great info, thanks!!!
Old 08-03-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Swapped out both door woofers and it definitely sounds better. had to do a little modification due to mounting depth being a little less than a 1/4 inch more than the original. easy fix just had to dremel off some of the plastic that made a sign similar to a cross inside the enclosures. I forgot to take pics of that but you'll see what I'm talking about when removing the woofer. bass is less distorted probably due to the new woofers being designed for bass applications. you can actually turn the bass gain higher than with the others. I'm glad it blew so I could replace them both.

6 1/2 bazooka DVC 8ohm per coil woofer
Old 08-03-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh and I did add some poly fil acoustic damping material.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Is the replacement speaker dual vocal coil like the original? Sadly no subwoofer is one of my biggest disappointments with the B & O system. Seems really crazy the would put that name on a car that can't really produce base. Why in the world is a sub not in the spare tire like so many other Audis?!? Thanks for sharing your upgrade!

Quick Reply: Blown Passenger Sub Woofer