TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Buying TTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
I bought a CPO Boxster S in NC back in 2012. I still have it and love it. I drove it back home to Canada after our golf trip. I recommend extending your search area and to buy CPO. Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. I do have nationwide on the search and I am looking into Black Optics TTS all the way in OR...3400 miles away. I'd like to consider the Porsche, but not ready to upgrade from the Miata just yet for the 2-seater. Will see how the TTS goes.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ourlee
After tons of shopping I bought a spotless 17 CPO TT with 8000 miles for $37k. With the money I saved from new, I bought approx $5 k in mods. Car should be 100% modded by springtime. That gives me 90k miles to enjoy it worry free. In ‘22 I’m either replacing it with a $45k TTRS or keeping it and buying an 07-08 Elise. At least that’s the plan. It’s not a Honda, if you’re keeping it past warranty, go CPO.
that's a great price and a good target for me to use. Agreed on the savings being used to tweak the car, and that's why the CPO is so appealing. I'm sure the warranty costs are "baked" into the pricing, but it's till attractive for the coverage.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the black optics package too but consider this. A few weeks ago I bought an OEM Black optic grill in new condition for $300 shipped. The local wrap shop is going to do my mirrors for $125. Point is get the car you want and black optic yourself so you’re not narrowing your choices so much. As for the 20” BO TTS wheels, they weigh a ton and you shouldn’t fall in love with them anyway.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
It's actually great that you're keeping your Miata. Far easier, far more options and far less expensive to mod.

And you'll enjoy the way the pneumatic bolsters of the TTS hug you every time you're ready for a more spirited drive.

edit: re: looks: In the Audizine "got rid of my TT-RS" thread we were discussing that the TT has a not so good direct side view, particularly the rear portion. But then as cited most all cars have some bad angle. On the plus side I like the rear quarter view which is good as it's most often seen walking up to drive. And in just replying to another thread I was reminded what a great low-front view it has!
Huey52,
appreciate the comments and i'd love to get that blau paint, but it looks like the owners are keeping them off the lots!!. I got to test drive a 16 TTS a few months ago in NC and was allowed to take some tight turns etc, since I popped in with my Miata. The TTS is definitely heavier, but the AWD was fantastic and I enjoyed it very much, to the point of wanting it for "the other" car. I also got to drive a 430i for 3 days in the mountains and it was simply too heavy. Otherwise, i'd be looking at the S5, but i think it would be too big/heavy for what i am expecting. Light weight really does spoil one.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

There’s a dealer in Chicago on Cars.com that shows the CPO warranty broken down to $1500. I negotiated to $35,500 and told them (Warwick Audi in RI) I wasn’t interested unless the car was CPO. I showed them the ad and BAM $37k cash easy peasy.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ourlee
I like the black optics package too but consider this. A few weeks ago I bought an OEM Black optic grill in new condition for $300 shipped. The local wrap shop is going to do my mirrors for $125. Point is get the car you want and black optic yourself so you’re not narrowing your choices so much. As for the 20” BO TTS wheels, they weigh a ton and you shouldn’t fall in love with them anyway.
thanks for the pricing data. My first choice is Mythos Black, but i was shocked at how good the glacier white looked and the black mirrors were a nice contrast. So i would like to consider blacking the mirror caps regardless of color. So the wrap shop does that with a film? or plastidip? not sure...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Warwick Audi has a red ‘16 TTS for $37,500 w 10k miles, I could help you CPO this car.
Valenti Audi (CT) has a Silver CPO TTS for $44,500 w only 545 miles. (no B&O, base seats, 19s) deal of the century. You could self black optic the car and be the only BO silver TTS in the country. This is the car I would have bought but my gun cabinet cash (where I hide my mod money) would have been used up on the purchase.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

They use vinyl 3M or same. My car is white, I’m shopping for gloss black Neuspeed lightweight 19” wheels to match my BO bits. Mythos BO loses the awesome black mirror effect (I’m sure you realize that) but something to consider. Also the 2015 Black optic S3s came OEM with lightweight 19” wheels that look almost exactly like the TTS BO boat anchor 20s. These pop up from time to time on classified boards, if I remember, they weigh 21-23lbs.
Car shopping is so fun, you should let me do it for you.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcarlover

2. 20 inch wheel / tire. I see some/many comments here that the ride can be rough even on good roads and of course the danger of damage. Yet, it seems most cars for sale have them on.
Appreciate any comments on your experiences with the 19s or 20s.
Also. has anyone ever asked the dealer to swap out at the time of purchase? Or to opt out of the option, purchase your own wheels and have them installed?
Hi Mike,

When I bought my 16 TTS, I went with one (sight unseen) they had coming in that had all the options I would have picked except for the wheels. I tried mightily to get the dealer to swap out the 20's in favour of 19's. They wouldn't budge. During the waiting game I was excited about the build "except for the wheels". I was wrong. When I met the car, I LOVED how the 20's looked. I have no idea if 19's would have felt much different. It's a sports car after all. I was coming off 19" run-flats on a JCW Mini Paceman so I was used to a harsh ride. I'm very happy with the 20's. (but roll 18's in the winter)

Now that the 16's are coming up to the 2 year mark, I would think more CPO's will keep popping up.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fun101
Hi Mike,

When I bought my 16 TTS, I went with one (sight unseen) they had coming in that had all the options I would have picked except for the wheels. I tried mightily to get the dealer to swap out the 20's in favour of 19's. They wouldn't budge. During the waiting game I was excited about the build "except for the wheels". I was wrong. When I met the car, I LOVED how the 20's looked. I have no idea if 19's would have felt much different. It's a sports car after all. I was coming off 19" run-flats on a JCW Mini Paceman so I was used to a harsh ride. I'm very happy with the 20's. (but roll 18's in the winter)

Now that the 16's are coming up to the 2 year mark, I would think more CPO's will keep popping up.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I have to have something to wring my hands about, so i guess it's tires this time!!! Full disclosure, i have my Miata coilovers set to 13 clicks from full hard all the time (32 clicks to full soft). And I don't mind it in the city at all. So it's probably much ado about nothing.

Quick Reply: Buying TTS questions