TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Carbon-ceramic brakes: Warning and Rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
FWIW, Audi will generally always recommend to replace everything when doing a brake job. They don't want to risk the customer coming back complaining that they didn't do the brake job correctly, but you can do what you want. I've gone completely aftermarket with the brake setup on my RS5 for example. With something that suits my needs better and I don't replace the rotors every time the pads are worn. There are minimum thickness tolerances etc. so rotors generally last longer than they make you believe. Physical damage to the rotors is a different story, though and Audi will wash their hands there. That's the risk of taking the car to the track or driving in general. I agree they don't do a good job educating customers about CCBs. It's interesting when I went to a Mercedes Dealership to look at AMG models how the sales person flat out told me don't get the CCBs and he knew what he was talking about. The CCBs are cool and all, but for most people complete overkill, even if you go to the track. You can do better aftermarket setups that don't cost a body part if they need to be replaced after a good thrashing on the track.
Yup, it's all about the liability thing as well as trying to get as much $$ out of people. It was clear from my talking to the service manager and 2 technicians looking at my car they don't have any real experience with CCB's—they seemed to be quoting a lot from their tech manuals.

I am trying to see if I can swap the rotors out for steel ones and replace the pads and sensors—I really like the lighter 8-pot callipers that are part of the CCB kit. Problem is that most rotors are 32 mm thick and the CCB rotors are 34 mm thick. I did find some online that go with a Brembo GT8 Big Brake set-up and they sell them separately (NEUSPEED BBK @$1,300 CDN a pair)—they are the same size 370 mm x 34 mm as the CCB rotors. Also, I found pads (Hawk HPS 5.0 @$600 for 8pad set with sensors) that go with the brembo 8-pot callipers that should also fit the Audi "ceramic" labeled callipers as they are manufactured by Brembo. I may be able to get a set-up for $3-4K—FAR cheaper than the CCB's.

Going to try to see if AUDI Canada will refund me part of the $5,800 I paid for the CCB's.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UUUGGH what a pain. Sorry for the issues. I recently watched this guy talking about a ccb dealer quote issue. The techs don't get paid for diagnosis so they spend little time finding the root cause and love to quote with "replace everything" .

I can't imagine the ccb warping. Does the sound change when you apply the brake? Did you inspect the pads and rotors yourself? Could be cooked pads.
"whump whump" sound could also be an overheated bearing.
I would find the root before buying steel rotors. If it's getting that hot in there you are just going to be cracking steel every few track days.
I read somewhere the RS3 has brake ducts that fit on the tt. That might help get some air in there.
I was planning on tracking mime. Sounds like I need to rethink things.
good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Florida Yacht Broker (01-15-2021)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jimreaper
UUUGGH what a pain. Sorry for the issues. I recently watched this guy talking about a ccb dealer quote issue. The techs don't get paid for diagnosis so they spend little time finding the root cause and love to quote with "replace everything" .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzgXwuhZ7p8

I can't imagine the ccb warping. Does the sound change when you apply the brake? Did you inspect the pads and rotors yourself? Could be cooked pads.
"whump whump" sound could also be an overheated bearing.
I would find the root before buying steel rotors. If it's getting that hot in there you are just going to be cracking steel every few track days.
I read somewhere the RS3 has brake ducts that fit on the tt. That might help get some air in there.
I was planning on tracking mime. Sounds like I need to rethink things.
good luck.
Thanks for the info and feedback. Yeah, I know dealers always go for the "replace everything".

Right now I am trying to work with a local Audi/VW performance shop who put together a race/track package for a MKII TTRS that I saw at our local track. I did find the RS3 brake ducts (https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-y...ng/rotors.html) and will definitely look at installing them. I just can't understand the poor design of the wheel well and lack of adequate airflow in there— they put air vents in the front of the well and then put rads in front of the vents?

Also, there was a recall from Audi on the RS3 for inadequate brake ventilation. Don't know if this will become an issue with TTRS's.

The sound on the brakes was probably due to shifting of the pads when the backing glue melted and started to release and then reset after cooling. This would now shift the contact points of the brake pads from what I had set during the "bedding" process I followed. This would also explain how I had even wear on the rotors BEFORE tracking and then signs of uneven wear AFTER tracking the car. I remember checking the rotors after the first session specifically for wear patterns and seeing even wear at that point. It was not what I was shown at the dealer when they pulled of the wheels—definitely uneven wear patterns on the passenger's side.

I don't know if you want to check brake temps when you track your car for the first time—maybe go out and do a couple of laps come in and check rotor and pad temps with an infrared temperature gun? I know I am going to invest some $ in a handheld infrared temperature gun and when I track my car the next time, I am going to monitor the temps carefully.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck on this, OP. We're rooting for you and I am interested to see what you come up with in terms of a more specific diagnosis.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MattRG
Good luck on this, OP. We're rooting for you and I am interested to see what you come up with in terms of a more specific diagnosis.
Thanks! I am taking my car in tomorrow to a Audi/VW performance shop to have them take a look. I already have identified a direct swap package to change rotors to steel performance rotors and track pads that fit my 8-pot ceramic designed callipers.

Have to submit written complaint to Audi Canada. After I submit it, I will follow up with them.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update...

Took my car into a local specialty Audi/VW performance shop.

Technician who took a look at my car just came back from US to see buddy who has the exact same set-up on his 2018 TTRS. He took his car to track for first time and after 1 day, brakes overheated and even caught fire. He fought with Audi USA and they replaced the CCB's under warranty.

Attached are some pics of another set of CCB's that have failed due to wear from a track day—mine are not anywhere near this bad!

Technician agrees that (1) the brake pads overheated and melted backing glue causing them to shift an then reset when they cooled down which is responsible for my "whump whump" issue on the passenger side, (2) the chip on the edge of my rotor is not a concern and from his experience, CCB rotors only chip like this when they are hit by a wheel rim during removal/installation, the rotor is dropped during installation, or something is dropped on the rotor—hence could have been caused during shipping and not noticed, (3) rotors otherwise look good, still smooth with surface intact, (4) recommended a drop-in replacement rotor set and track pads that works with my 8-pot CCB callipers and has been used by people he knows who track their TTRS's.

Apparently, there have been similar claims from RS7 owners in Canada. Also, looked carefully at my Audi Dealer report I got after looking at my car—a note was made under "rotor replacement" which stated that there is a "technical" change to the rotors with a new product number assigned. My question is—what was this "technical" change and is is related to my problem. As a professional engineer, I know that "technical" is another word for "design" or "specification" change that alters the products characteristics. Hmmm...

My CCB saga continues...
Old 07-28-2018, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. So are you going to replace your CCB's with an aftermarket steel setup even if Audi steps up and agrees to repair or replace your existing set? Sounds like the aftermarket steel set might be the way to go for future track use.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

So for 2019 the CCBs have been deleted and are not available on the RS3. What's this mean for the TTRS? Maybe we sadly know why now....
Old 07-31-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MattRG
Very interesting. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. So are you going to replace your CCB's with an aftermarket steel setup even if Audi steps up and agrees to repair or replace your existing set? Sounds like the aftermarket steel set might be the way to go for future track use.
Hi MattRG!

Yes, that is correct. I do not trust the design of the CCB's on my TTRS. Clearly there are issues with the cooling in the wheel well that would classify as a design flaw. As a professional engineer, this really p*sses me off as simple ducting/venting changes could have prevented this from happening. Luckily, there are direct drop in rotor and pad replacements that can use my CCB callipers.
Here are 2 I am considering:
https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0front%20discs
https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-y...grade-kit.html

Compared to the $5,800 I paid for the CCB option and the $17,000 my dealer quoted me for replacement of the CCB's, asking Audi Canada for $3,000 to replace my brakes with track oriented steel rotors and pads is a deal.
I have filed my complaint with Audi Canada, now the hardest part...waiting!
Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
So for 2019 the CCBs have been deleted and are not available on the RS3. What's this mean for the TTRS? Maybe we sadly know why now....
Hi Farmerjones.

This is very interesting information...

Does suggest they recognize a design flaw in putting CCB's on the RS3 and TTRS platform without modifications to give proper cooling. It is also interesting that the same brakes on the R8's seem to last for 10's of thousands of KM and numerous track days as I have read many posts from R8 owners stating this. Of course the R8 venting and cooling in the front wheel wells are different from the RS3 and TTRS's.

As always, as the number of people increases using a particular product, the defects or flaws become more apparent.

Quick Reply: Carbon-ceramic brakes: Warning and Rant