TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Carbon-ceramic brakes: Warning and Rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HalifaxMKIIITTRS
UPDATE:

Audi Canada got my letter with all of the pics and supporting documentation. I spoke with the Customer Service Rep assigned my file and he took down more information on my situation.

Now I have to wait while he files the report to the higher-ups and they propose some "remedies".

I will follow up with them in 2 weeks if I don't hear back before then.

The saga continues...

any luck??
Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the inquiry about my situation.

After nearly 3 months, I have yet to hear anything from Audi Canada and am thoroughly frustrated. Over the last few months I have spent numerous times sitting on hold waiting for a customer agent to be available to talk to. After anywhere from 45 min to over 1 hour of listening to bad musak I hang up. I unfortunately do not have the luxury of spending days and hours on end waiting on the phone.

I have now seen that on the Audi Canada websites, the option of carbon ceramic brakes for both the TTRS and RS3 have been removed and are no longer available.

This is a clear sign that Audi have recognized a problem with CC brakes on these cars—but I have yet to have my problem recognized.

I love my TTRS, but the brake issue and Audi's response has really put a damper on my enjoyment and diminished my respect for Audi.

I may have to invoke the power of the media or personal legal representation....
Old 10-20-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sucks and is bull****. I’m not tracking it because of this. Come on Audi.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jimreaper
This sucks and is bull****. I’m not tracking it because of this. Come on Audi.
Couldn't have said it any clearer...

I am going to try to engage the service manager at the dealer I bought my car from to see if he can 'back-channel' some contacts in Audi Canada to move this along.

I realistically am thinking I may not have a resolution until the spring at the earliest.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I concur with jimreaper, it does suck, and should be an embaressment to Audi. Have you looked on other forums to see if this has happened to other owners?
Bob
Old 10-20-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gbob
I concur with jimreaper, it does suck, and should be an embaressment to Audi. Have you looked on other forums to see if this has happened to other owners?
Bob
I haven't done any kind of exhaustive search on the web. Just my local connections with Audi owners and people who repair them turned up 2 people in the U.S. that had the same issue with their cars and Audi USA repaired them under warranty, and 1 person in New Brunswick, Canada that had the same issue on their RS3 and Audi Canada did not repair it under warranty. A correlation I do not want to follow in terms of Audi USA vs. Audi Canada's responses.

Earlier in this post I did provide pictures of one of the US owners brakes in their car after a track day—was a lot worse than mine and Audi USA replaced them.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HalifaxMKIIITTRS
I haven't done any kind of exhaustive search on the web. Just my local connections with Audi owners and people who repair them turned up 2 people in the U.S. that had the same issue with their cars and Audi USA repaired them under warranty, and 1 person in New Brunswick, Canada that had the same issue on their RS3 and Audi Canada did not repair it under warranty. A correlation I do not want to follow in terms of Audi USA vs. Audi Canada's responses.

Earlier in this post I did provide pictures of one of the US owners brakes in their car after a track day—was a lot worse than mine and Audi USA replaced them.
Hi @HalifaxMKIIITTRS, I'm a US based owner of an RS3 with CCBs and just went through a similar situation in the past month. Brakes overheated at track day, but in addition to melting piston seals in the calipers it also got hot enough to disintegrate the inside brake pad. Unfortunately, the wear sensor housing "melted" first and never gave a warning before the steel pad backer scraped up the carbon ceramic rotor.

My dealership has no intention of covering it under warranty (quoted ~US$15,500 replacement), but after reading your posts I'll try reaching out directly to Audi USA customer service.

The more I've been learning after these brake issues, the more I've been disappointed with the engineering that went into this car. The cooling solution in the RS3 seems to have been an afterthought (small deflectors, air mostly blocked by dust shields) and largely insufficient to properly handle heat generated by CCBs.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dalefather
Hi @HalifaxMKIIITTRS, I'm a US based owner of an RS3 with CCBs and just went through a similar situation in the past month. Brakes overheated at track day, but in addition to melting piston seals in the calipers it also got hot enough to disintegrate the inside brake pad. Unfortunately, the wear sensor housing "melted" first and never gave a warning before the steel pad backer scraped up the carbon ceramic rotor.

My dealership has no intention of covering it under warranty (quoted ~US$15,500 replacement), but after reading your posts I'll try reaching out directly to Audi USA customer service.

The more I've been learning after these brake issues, the more I've been disappointed with the engineering that went into this car. The cooling solution in the RS3 seems to have been an afterthought (small deflectors, air mostly blocked by dust shields) and largely insufficient to properly handle heat generated by CCBs.
Hi dalefather.

First, I feel your pain and disappointment in a supposed "upgrade" to the performance of your car. I agree that it seems that the CCB's were just an after thought add on for the RS3 and TTRS without the forethought of making sure there was enough cooling for them. Did they think that people with CCB's would just drive around to the store and church? CCB's are on the R8 and intended for "high performance" driving, so the excuse that we used our cars on the track is BS.

Audi Canada has removed the CCB option from both the RS3 and TTRS—clearly an admission that something was wrong.

Thank you for your post and I think that if we use our cumulative experiences (i.e. everyone who had an issue with CCB's), we can force the issue with Audi and get them to compensate us for their error.

BTW- I am looking for Audi to pay for replacement with steel rotors and pads rated for the track. I found drop-in replacements that still use the ceramic callipers (my piston seals are ok). My argument is that rather than have to replace $15,000 worth, compensate me for $5,000 to replace with steel rotors and track pads.

Let me know how things go for you and I'll do the same. We are definitely in the right here and Audi (US and Canada) owe us to fix our cars.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This may help explain the wider "Gill" like vent openings on the front fascia of the 2019 refresh pictures. Help get better cooling to the brakes.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Contacted the Manager and Assistant Manager today at my local Audi dealer. Quickly hear back and they are following up with the District Service Manager this week to see if they can come up with a satisfactory resolution to my issue that will "...restore your confidence in the brand.".

I will let post what happens when I hear back from them.

Quick Reply: Carbon-ceramic brakes: Warning and Rant