TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

K&N Air Filter for 2018 TT RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

As I said, greater surface area construction and innately better flow with cotton/synthetic. There's a corporate profitability price point for all parts and as good as OEM Mann is there are better aftermarket, but of course more expensive. Same as any other aftermarket enthusiast part. And even the TTRS must meet its mandated emissions/fuel efficiency.

Originally Posted by Audphile
There is a fundamental question I have about this subject. How can you increase air flow and at the same time filter out the same or more contaminants? Is it that a thinner filter with better material lets more air thru while trapping as much crud as a thicker filter? As was said before, if the after market filters do make a difference why wouldn't Audi recommend or use them, especially in a TTRS?

I'm really not trying to stir the pot but just trying to understand if there is a risk vs. reward thing going on here. Seems like one could easily set up a test to measure air flow and amount of contaminants passing thru the filter. That to me would be proof if these filters are as good as they say they are.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huey52
As I said, greater surface area construction and innately better flow with cotton/synthetic. There's a corporate profitability price point for all parts and as good as OEM Mann is there are better aftermarket, but of course more expensive. Same as any other aftermarket enthusiast part. And even the TTRS must meet its mandated emissions/fuel efficiency.
Thanks, Huey. Found this test on filters but need to re-read it carefully to see if they have devised a proper test.

Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central
Old 08-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would never put a K&N in anything I care about, I've seen way too many dusted engines sporting the big K&N decal...YMMV.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cale262
I would never put a K&N in anything I care about, I've seen way too many dusted engines sporting the big K&N decal...YMMV.
While I think K&N is a reputable company I'm beginning to believe it's a bit more hype than fact. I don't think the small reward, HP wise, is worth the risk. 400 ponies is enough for me.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes indeed, 400 is quite enough!

Originally Posted by Audphile
While I think K&N is a reputable company I'm beginning to believe it's a bit more hype than fact. I don't think the small reward, HP wise, is worth the risk. 400 ponies is enough for me.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I've got K&N on two of my vehicles...BUT...and here is the big BUT, I don't reside in a very dusty area. If I lived anywhere that had much dust it wouldn't be on my engine. That disclaimer aside...My SLK 230 had a noticeable increase in low end power, my Volvo XC70 also had a noticeable increase. IMHO, the key to K&N is to take the time to maintain them, failure to do that will result in a destroyed engine. But then that applies to any deferred maintenance.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HogKiller
Personally, I've got K&N on two of my vehicles...BUT...and here is the big BUT, I don't reside in a very dusty area. If I lived anywhere that had much dust it wouldn't be on my engine. That disclaimer aside...My SLK 230 had a noticeable increase in low end power, my Volvo XC70 also had a noticeable increase. IMHO, the key to K&N is to take the time to maintain them, failure to do that will result in a destroyed engine. But then that applies to any deferred maintenance.

I would suggest that the next time you have you oil changed get an "oil sample analysis" done. It only costs a small amount ($20) and your dealership etc. should be able to arrange it for you...You might be surprised just how much is getting through that filter...Or you may find out its working perfect for you. I have friends that have this done at every oil change interval and compared to the price you pay for your car, an oil analysis is a very small price to pay For piece of mind.

Cheers
Old 08-06-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a base line, testing ones oil could be a waste of time. Yes it will tell you what's in it but it won't tell you the source IF you've been using a K&N. If I actually cared that much I'd put in a good filter, do a complete oil change, drive for a week, then repeat, do a test, drive for a complete oil change, test, install the K&N then drive. It would be an interesting experiment. Personally I don't drive that much in a year to get a good test. Too many cars and I work from home. I suppose I could get my SQ5 tested, it just had an oil change, there's the baseline, install a K&N and go on my little 3k road trip in Sept. then test again. Let me think on it for a bit.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:36 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a very interesting thread and all the comments are mixed that's for sure on using/running the K&N filter.
I have been into cars since returning from Vietnam back in the mid 60's.
So over all these years I have ran the K&N filters sometimes but honestly I don't know if there was a noticeable butt dyno increases or not.
I just simply liked the way the K&N looked so I ran them on some cars.
Also to those that have said they trade-in their cars before the factory warranty runs out then I can see them running the K&N.
Also a few mentioned living in areas that were not extremely dusty.
I also live where there is not really any appreciable dust so I could run the K&N if I wanted to.
In my case if it Further-Increased that Awesome Exhaust Sound by running the K&N that would definitely play a roll in my decision.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
This is a very interesting thread and all the comments are mixed that's for sure on using/running the K&N filter.
I have been into cars since returning from Vietnam back in the mid 60's.
So over all these years I have ran the K&N filters sometimes but honestly I don't know if there was a noticeable butt dyno increases or not.
I just simply liked the way the K&N looked so I ran them on some cars.
Also to those that have said they trade-in their cars before the factory warranty runs out then I can see them running the K&N.
Also a few mentioned living in areas that were not extremely dusty.
I also live where there is not really any appreciable dust so I could run the K&N if I wanted to.
In my case if it Further-Increased that Awesome Exhaust Sound by running the K&N that would definitely play a roll in my decision.
As to the impact of K&N type air filters on sound, my experience is that they can have an impact on the volume of intake sound but not exhaust. I have owned a 2001 TT, 2008 TTS, 2009 TTS, 2016 TTS and now a 2018 TTRS all of which were equipped with a K&N air filter. The 2001 TT had a noticeable increase in intake noise after installation of the K&N filter but did not notice a difference in the rest.

FYI
McTTRS

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter for 2018 TT RS