TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Looking to buy a 2016 TTs. have some questions about LED headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 2016 TTs. have some questions about LED headlights.

Hello. NEW to the forums.

I have been looking in google but the most common reviews are related to the EU Matrix specs and the search in the forums is
rendering a lot of LED-Kits threats.

How do you guys like the US LED head lights? do they adjust up-down, left right as you drive?. Can someone post a picture of the beam pattern on a wall
or If anyone has a video demonstrating how they work that would be great.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

They are ok, and they do not adjust based on driving conditions, though pretty sure they have the self leveling feature (based on suspension load, etc) that are required by law for xenon lights.

They do include a cornering light that illuminates the side you are turning to below a certain speed - which to me is more helpful than the typical dynamic headlights that turn with the wheel. It throws out a decent bit of light (down low) to help illuminate what you are turning into a street level - so helps with curbs, etc. It also slowly ramps up to full brightness upon activation and dims out slowly as well - its a nice little effect if you appreciate little details like that. The stock fog lamps throw out a very wide swath of light as well.

To me they are more than adequate, if I can find any fault I would say that if you drive on country roads I think they could illuminate a bit farther down the road, but for a car this low to the ground that would require matrix or high beams. Keep in mind the US laws are finally changing to allow for Matrix type lights in the future.
The following users liked this post:
rlantigua (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks!!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, they are self-leveling upon each startup, which is especially useful if you just loaded down the back with gear.

I too prefer the fixed cornering light, which is very helpful, rather than the dynamic-turn type. And I also appreciate these well thought out engineering details.

I guess LED distance illumination is relative. My wife and I think the TT's is so good that she insisted on a German car with LED over her prior Caddy ATS' xenon which had abysmal distance and lack of penetrating focus.

Originally Posted by MCRN
They are ok, and they do not adjust based on driving conditions, though pretty sure they have the self leveling feature (based on suspension load, etc) that are required by law for xenon lights.

They do include a cornering light that illuminates the side you are turning to below a certain speed - which to me is more helpful than the typical dynamic headlights that turn with the wheel. It throws out a decent bit of light (down low) to help illuminate what you are turning into a street level - so helps with curbs, etc. It also slowly ramps up to full brightness upon activation and dims out slowly as well - its a nice little effect if you appreciate little details like that. The stock fog lamps throw out a very wide swath of light as well.

To me they are more than adequate, if I can find any fault I would say that if you drive on country roads I think they could illuminate a bit farther down the road, but for a car this low to the ground that would require matrix or high beams. Keep in mind the US laws are finally changing to allow for Matrix type lights in the future.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good to know. reason I'm asking is because I don't see well at night and I can use all the help I can lol...
Old 08-02-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The LED's on my TT-RS are the best and most thoughtful lights I have experienced on a car. I thought my Xenon lights on my previous car were fantastic but the LED's are even better.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

does anyone has beam pattern against a wall?