TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Looking for thoughts on exterior color

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for thoughts on exterior color

Hi all,
New poster here. Currently shopping for my wife's next vehicle. She has taken a liking to the new TTS. As a current R8 (v8 manual) owner, I am very happy with her decision. Just need to decide on color.

As a new model in the U.S., I'm having trouble finding pics of a tango red s coupe. Anyone own one and willing to post real life pics? I've found several online, but not the s.

In the spirit of vetting colors, our local dealer has a TTS in nano grey. I actually like it quite a bit. Wife is not yet sold.

Thoughts or recommendations on other options?
Old 01-03-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Only you can decide what you like, but a few random thoughts:

1) Some of the colors translate better than others from photos to real life. Since you can't expect a dealer to have a TT or TTS in each color, do your best to find pictures of the same color in different situations (i.e. different times of day, sunny vs. cloudy, natural light vs. artificial light). Some colors vary dramatically, especially Nano Grey and Dakota Grey Pearl. Since the Mk3 has been available in the UK for a while, there are many helpful pics on the UK TT Forum. Here's a good thread to start: The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Show us your Mk3 TT

2) Since Audi re-uses many of their colors across the line, you may find other cars at the other dealer in the same color to at least give you an in person look.

3) Nano Grey is TT/TTS only, and Daytona Grey Pearl and Sepang Blue are TTS only. The latter 2 will be especially rare given the TTS production volume.

4) Since the TTS has more silver trim (mirrors, grill, front and rear lower lips), you may want to take that under consideration. For example, the silver parts don't stand out as much on my Florett Silver car as they would on other colors with more contrast.

My best advice: order or buy something before either of you change your mind!
Old 01-03-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the thoughtful response. The link was a great help. We are down to nano or Daytona. I'm thinking euro delivery....should be fun
Old 01-03-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tango Red is actually one of the more photographed colours as it was used heavily in early marketing.
I think it would be my choice if I was ordering today. The Express Red Leather interior is beautiful and could tempt me away from the red exterior on a TTS, Audi in NA will not let you have both.
This thread may help:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...2888055/page3/

Google:
"Tango Red" AND Audi AND TTS
Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Daytona Grey Pearl is used on other Audi models. So if you wander around the dealer lot and check out grey A* and Q* cars you'll probably be able to find one in Daytona Grey. That's what I did and I found 2 or 3. I think Nano Grey Metallic is exclusive to the TT/TTS.

The dealer I stopped at, Audi Marin in San Rafael, CA, had color sample books for each model Audi. Each book shows all the exterior and interior colors available for that model. The sample cards are about 3 inch by 6 inch, so they're big enough to get a reasonable feel for the color. I think they're actual paint samples, so you can see the metallics and pearls change color as you move them around (best done in sunlight). I was trying to choose between the Nano Grey and Daytona Grey myself so I took a long look at the two. Depending upon the angle the light hits it, sometimes the Nano Grey appears darker, and other times the Daytona Grey is darker.

The books were stashed in a corner of the dealership and my wife stumbled upon them as we were wandering around. A salesperson who knew I wanted to see a particular color never mentioned their existence, so their availability might not be well known. Too bad as I found them quite useful.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have Nano gray on my TTS and I love it; of course YMMV. Nano gray definitely changes appearance in different lighting conditions; I think it is more suitable (at least to me) for the sporting nature of the vehicle. Daytona Gray is a more, I would say "sophisticated" color. It looks great on an A7 and A8 that I have seen. Nani gray has very small metallic "flakes" in it compared to other metallics. A lot of people are surprised it is actually a metallic color.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default color

is in the eye of the beholder....

I say, the only colors AUDI offers in US are: tango red, sepang blue, vegas yellow

non colors are: black, white and gray is for mice only

X.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Aye matey. In fairness I prior had/enjoyed silver and grey, which are more "sophisticated", but for a fun ride .....

Originally Posted by x_man
is in the eye of the beholder....

I say, the only colors AUDI offers in US are: tango red, sepang blue, vegas yellow

non colors are: black, white and gray is for mice only

X.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Huey52; 01-04-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Huey52
Aye matey. In fairness I prior had/enjoyed silver and grey, which are more "sophisticated", but for a fun ride .....

Love that Sepang! I've been in a grey/black rut for awhile, so I'll give Sepang and tango a good look before we decide. With red cars, I always worry they will appear orange....and tango seems to change shade pretty significantly depending on lighting.

Ah, the pains of shopping for a new car
Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the new TTS is your wife's car then let her pick the color of her choice. She needs to be happy with it. I understand if you're trying to look for photos or samples of the color choices. One of the things you can do is ask your dealer to show you the swatch or color samples of the preferred colors. Like BMW, those color samples are painted on steel or aluminum so they will be close to the finished product.

Quick Reply: Looking for thoughts on exterior color