TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Magnetic ride aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Magnetic ride aftermarket?

On my upcoming custom tt rs, I opted to get the dynamics package because I really wanted every other feature except the fixed suspension. Given the opportunity, I'd make the same decision again. That said, how much would it cost for me to swap the suspensions out and install the OEM magnetic setup as an aftermarket mod? Does anyone have an educated guesstimate the kind of money I'd be talking about with that?
​​​​​
Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd drive it first. I'd love to see how the dynamic suspension rides. I regret not getting Dynamic for the CCB because I wanted the mag ride but I have a feeling the fixed is not that bad.
In the TT with the short wheelbase and 20" wheels, the ride is going to be rough. I say that coming from a S4, so.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They really should have given us the option as they do in other markets of choosing these individually. I didn't opt for the dynamic package due to not wanting the fixed suspension. I much prefer the ability to choose the various suspension settings. That said it would be nice to get the active TPMS and CCB's if you want them. Oh, and the OLED's.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree. I think the package doesn't sell for the fixed suspension alone. I would have loved the CCB and TPMS, OLEDs not really a big deal as I don't see them. haha
Though had I had an opportunity to drive the fixed suspension I imagine I would have been fine with it and gone Dynamic.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm definitely going to drive around for a while with the fixed suspension, but I would like the option of switching in to the magnetic ride. I just don't know if it's even feasible/possible. I don't even know what all has to be swapped out hardware-wise to change the systems out. I'm guessing it will be prohibitively expensive, but I'd like to know for sure.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fixed suspension is not really that stiff. Firm? For sure. In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I own a BMW M4, but i find the TT-RS to be well sorted with the fixed suspension. Some of the quick vertical motions are due to the short wheelbase anyway, and I would not want to dull the car`s reflexes trying to eliminate them entirely.

I think that the magazine reviewers are making too much of the stiff ride, but understand that many of them are entering the age range that makes them the perfect target audience for a lexus instead of a sports coupe.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebuul
I'm definitely going to drive around for a while with the fixed suspension, but I would like the option of switching in to the magnetic ride. I just don't know if it's even feasible/possible. I don't even know what all has to be swapped out hardware-wise to change the systems out. I'm guessing it will be prohibitively expensive, but I'd like to know for sure.
Most of these complex upgrade options are expensive because they involve different wiring harnesses, which snake literally through the frame of the car. It's not a cute system Audi just bolts on, it involves communication with lots of other systems, both hardware and software wise. I sincerely doubt you will be able to add this after the fact. Magnetic Ride has it's own dedicated control module, which communicates with several other modules over the CAN bus. Then you'll need the dampeners physically there, with wiring to each... Not going to happen.