TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New 2018 TTRS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Iguana1500
Interesting, the car came with about 32 miles brand new. This is a car that went straight from delivery truck to PDI and dealership put on 1-2 miles. No test drives. Picked up car within hours after it came off truck. I asked the dealership and they said Audi tests the car before delivery and puts on that many miles. Can anyone confirm from prior experiences if this has happened with other cars? This is my first Audi so it's new to me. My previous cars had 2 miles, 3 miles respectively.
All A8s and Audi Sport models typically come with 30+ miles. Nothing to be concerned about. All other models usually come with anywhere between 5 and 20.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My TTS came with 29 miles. Some are tested more than others. Mine's been flawless. So again nothing to be concerned about.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and information SYMAWD and Huey52.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Normal, enjoy the car, mine had 28 miles.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Initial Impressions:

-that sound of the I-5 is unlike anything else. Raucous on cold start up, I suspect it's by design. Quiet while cruising. The active exhaust button makes a noticeable diffeeence. Always a hint of character. Need more time to really analyze the sound character.
-ride is stiffer than I expected for a luxury car. For comparisons, my daily driver Civic Si is super plush and the track car Z06 is stiffer. The civic has adjustable dampers (non-magnetic) in two settings : soft and slightly less soft. The Z06 has magnetic dampers but the Z07 track package upped the spring rates so the range goes from really stiff to bone shattering kidney rupturing stiff. The TT-RS manages a range from Stiff to really stiff. The roads around here are somewhat rough so that's a factor. On the highway it's smooth. I suspect the tires are partially to blame. The sidewalls are so thin! 255/30/20 looks cool but I'm not sure it's enough sidewall. The Z06 runs 285/30/19 in the front which adds more meat
-can't find the settings for memory seats. Dunno if this car actually has them or not
-single zone climate control. This doesn't matter to us as we don't use dual zone but it may bother some prospective buyers.
-the HVAC controls are easy to use despite being so minimalistic and elegant. Great stuff. The Civic Si has hondas new digital touch screen interface eliminating many of the conventional buttons and really sucks.
-virtual cockpit is terrific. There's no glass in front of the screen at all. Just like a normal LCD monitor for the desktop computer. Seems to have a matte surface. Hopefully doesn't get damaged easily and cleans easily with some water or interior cleaner.
-still trying to figure out how to permanently display the total mileage on the car. It seems to vary depending on the menu and view settings, and sometimes disappears.
-interior storage space is going to be an issue haha I can see this being a problem on our upcoming 2000+ mile road trip. Oh well, keep it light. And there's always the back "seats" to store stuff.
-the rear spoiler doesn't obscure rear sight lines
-trunk / hatch is heavy
-the side assist function is overly sensitive and detects cars that are father behind than the blind spot. I am going to see if there's a way to adjust this in the settings or something
Old 07-13-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Iguana1500
Quick Initial Impressions:

-that sound of the I-5 is unlike anything else. Raucous on cold start up, I suspect it's by design. Quiet while cruising. The active exhaust button makes a noticeable diffeeence. Always a hint of character. Need more time to really analyze the sound character.
-ride is stiffer than I expected for a luxury car. For comparisons, my daily driver Civic Si is super plush and the track car Z06 is stiffer. The civic has adjustable dampers (non-magnetic) in two settings : soft and slightly less soft. The Z06 has magnetic dampers but the Z07 track package upped the spring rates so the range goes from really stiff to bone shattering kidney rupturing stiff. The TT-RS manages a range from Stiff to really stiff. The roads around here are somewhat rough so that's a factor. On the highway it's smooth. I suspect the tires are partially to blame. The sidewalls are so thin! 255/30/20 looks cool but I'm not sure it's enough sidewall. The Z06 runs 285/30/19 in the front which adds more meat
-can't find the settings for memory seats. Dunno if this car actually has them or not
-single zone climate control. This doesn't matter to us as we don't use dual zone but it may bother some prospective buyers.
-the HVAC controls are easy to use despite being so minimalistic and elegant. Great stuff. The Civic Si has hondas new digital touch screen interface eliminating many of the conventional buttons and really sucks.
-virtual cockpit is terrific. There's no glass in front of the screen at all. Just like a normal LCD monitor for the desktop computer. Seems to have a matte surface. Hopefully doesn't get damaged easily and cleans easily with some water or interior cleaner.
-still trying to figure out how to permanently display the total mileage on the car. It seems to vary depending on the menu and view settings, and sometimes disappears.
-interior storage space is going to be an issue haha I can see this being a problem on our upcoming 2000+ mile road trip. Oh well, keep it light. And there's always the back "seats" to store stuff.
-the rear spoiler doesn't obscure rear sight lines
-trunk / hatch is heavy
-the side assist function is overly sensitive and detects cars that are father behind than the blind spot. I am going to see if there's a way to adjust this in the settings or something
No memory seats and that is just how side assist works. It detects if an approaching car is going significantly faster than you (i.e. about to be in your blind spot) which is why people feel it comes on early.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Regarding Audi Side Assist, it is meant to be more than a Blind Spot Monitor.

From Audi:

"Audi side assist monitors a vehicle’s blind spot areas, as well as fast-approaching vehicles, to help indicate when the vehicle can move safely between lanes.

Extra eyes for your blind spots. When travelling over 31 km/h, Audi side assist system scans the blind spot areas, plus about 45 metres to the rear of the vehicle.
If Audi side assist identifies another vehicle, it informs the driver via LED lights in the exterior mirror.
The driver has the ability to disable this feature."

Give it some time to get used to it rather than turning it off.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check your tire pressures to find the sweet spot for ride comfort and grip. Many of us have dropped the pressures a bit.

You may also find that you use the comfort mode for mag ride in your individual settings.

And yes, the 20's look great, but result in a very small sidewall ...

Great looking car, enjoy !

Ed
Old 07-13-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

RS models are technically built by Audi Sport GmbH, not Audi AG, so they have a different production model, rightly so given the cost.

Back in the day I did one of those Audi Sport Exepriences, they had some factory Audi reps there as well as some from Quattro GmbH (previous name of Audi Sport) during one of the 'classroom' sessions. Part of their talk focused on the production differences between RS and regular Audi models, and one point of the discussion was the differences in sectors of the production line being more hand built vs robots, as well as the different testing methods prior to factory release. Basically, the car is given a performance run in to ensure it meets spec. Totally normal and straight from the horses mouth.

Enjoy the car!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MCRN
RS models are technically built by Audi Sport GmbH, not Audi AG, so they have a different production model, rightly so given the cost.

Back in the day I did one of those Audi Sport Exepriences, they had some factory Audi reps there as well as some from Quattro GmbH (previous name of Audi Sport) during one of the 'classroom' sessions. Part of their talk focused on the production differences between RS and regular Audi models, and one point of the discussion was the differences in sectors of the production line being more hand built vs robots, as well as the different testing methods prior to factory release. Basically, the car is given a performance run in to ensure it meets spec. Totally normal and straight from the horses mouth.

Enjoy the car!
People get very emotional about this subject, and that is certainly not my intent.
Just a note, that the TT RS (and RS3) are both notable departures from the Neckarsulm-only production tradition of RS models.
The TT RS is manufactured alongside all other TT models in Győr, Hungary.

Quick Reply: New 2018 TTRS