TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Performance mods for 2016 tts, am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by porttac
I am in the distinct minority..no problem. I enjoy my 2017 TTS as a daily driver. If I wanted more power, I would buy a used Porsche 911 or a, as new a about 50K ( my cash limit) new Cayman S.
Who doesn't enjoy more performance? I daily drive a TT, and for $800 a software refresh makes it faster than your TTS. Seems a small investment for a lot of additional fun. This costs infinitely less than buying a Porsche, and since AWD is required for winter those are not really an option. There are many that certainly enjoy a big dose of performance for a few bucks, all performance without turning a wrench. I'm sure you see the appeal of this to some, if not yourself. And with APR+ it even is under warranty.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The guy who just bought an R8 V10 is telling us to 'cheap out' and tune a TT over buying a TTS? Does not compute.

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Who doesn't enjoy more performance? I daily drive a TT, and for $800 a software refresh makes it faster than your TTS. Seems a small investment for a lot of additional fun. This costs infinitely less than buying a Porsche, and since AWD is required for winter those are not really an option. There are many that certainly enjoy a big dose of performance for a few bucks, all performance without turning a wrench. I'm sure you see the appeal of this to some, if not yourself. And with APR+ it even is under warranty.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
The guy who just bought an R8 V10 is telling us to 'cheap out' and tune a TT over buying a TTS? Does not compute.
Well there was a pretty logical reason for that. The TTS gets notably worse fuel milage on the highway in real world usage, something that I didn't really enjoy, along with higher engine revs and more noise inside. The TTS had a much harsher ride, and for a daily driver this didn't really thrill me. Some of the TT styling cues I actually like more than the TTS. Then the interior.... I wanted the Audi Design Select, something not available on the TTS. In fact, no brown interior is available on the TTS. I didn't like the inlays on the TTS. The lease payment was WAY more, because the residual of the TTS was far worse.

Soooo....I saved nearly 10,000 dollars, spent $800 on a tune and got exactly what I wanted. The TTS wasn't the car I wanted. Sure, I could have spent the money, but I enjoy more what I got, so I don't see it as "cheaping out". Everyone has different priorities. You'll note I didn't get an R8 V10 Plus....again, the value of the increased payment verses gained equipment on the Plus car wasn't there for me. In fact, the dealer says they have sold more non-Plus cars because people view it the same way, and the ride isn't adjustable. If a person enjoys a little more straight-line trust and all the other "stuff" on the performance model has little value, then sure, that's just being smart with your finances. Kinda like an A5 and RS5....does anyone really see a nearly $50,000 increase in price over the base car as a good value? Many don't, evident buy the unsold inventory all over the country on what was to be some "in-demand, exclusive" model. It's nice for everyone to have choices that fit their criteria.

And yea....I know you are giving me a hard time about saving money after I just got a R8....I get it :-)
Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and all the other "stuff" on the performance model has little value, then sure, that's just being smart with your finances. Kinda like an A5 and RS5....does anyone really see a nearly $50,000 increase in price over the base car as a good value?
I'm not quite following you on the $50k differential as an A5 to RS5 is about 30k and TT to TT-RS about 20k? If minor preferences like interior color drive your choice, so be it. If it's MPG, there are certainly better options. I'm sure there are many other factors that led to whatever cars you have purchased and at the end of the day, to each his own. But to discount some of the clearly superior technology like Active suspension and such that simply can't be purchased aftermarket seems a bit disingenuous.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

An A5 stats at under $45,000. My dealer has a RS5 on the showroom over $95,000. That's where I get my numbers and $50,000 spread. Regardless, my point is there is a HUGE difference some don't see the value in, even enthusiasts (hence the pile of unsold RS5 inventory).

Minor preference for interior color is not how I see it....the interior color is one of the LARGEST decision factors for me. It's where I spend all my time sitting and looking. So Audi's restrictions on interior color choices is a huge issue, and they are many threads that support that view. Audi Exclusive only proves the point many take interior color seriously.

A TTS gets 10% worse fuel economy than a TT. My APR tune now makes the car faster than a TTS, but no fuel economy penalty. 10% fuel savings over the life of ownership with premium fuel certainly makes a notable savings over time.

Active suspension is not necessarily "superior" in everyone's mind. I have a R8 with adaptive suspension, so I understand first hand. Note the fixed suspension options that are overwhelmingly chosen for the RS and Plus models, which proves they have limitations.

I don't know how this conversation led to this place, but it's nice there are choices for people. For some, like myself, an APR was a great value and lots of fun. For others the S-model was the way to go. Pretty sure both have compelling arguments as to why it fit them better. That's fair. What's disingenuous is trying to say those compelling arguments are flawed simply because they don't align with your wants and needs.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no doubt that from a "pure" performance standpoint, a purpose built fixed sport suspension will net better lap times if that's what one wants. But the tech allowing road manners and track capabilities is well worth the price of admission (in my opinion). The premise of an APR tune is why I opted for the TTS over the RS so I totally get the logic. My issue lies in justification based on skewed #'s. A base A5 is 44k and the RS5 starts at 74K. If it's not worth it for you, like I said, to each his own. Not trying to offend or bust *****, but for someone making those decisions, it helps when the figures aren't off by 40%.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was simply pointing out the LARGE price difference between an A5 and RS5, and some don't see the value, just like some don't see the value between a TT and TTS. I never said there was a $50,000 price difference when equally equipped or based price or anything. HOWEVER....it is factual to say there CAN be a $50,000 price difference between the A5 lineup, as illustrated currently on my dealer's lot with a base A5 and loaded RS5. I could have inserted "up too" in the sentence, but still....you can't argue there can not be a $50,000 difference. And base car to fully kitted, a $50,000 price gap seems pretty atrocious to almost anyone.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I too like my TTS ~just the way it is. As I've said before I got it so I wouldn't be tempted to tune (well, I'm still tempted).

I'm sure Audi tunes are much better now than a decade ago but the bad taste still hasn't left my mouth, so ...

btw: It's a somewhat American thing to tune & mod. Many/most other markets stay stock, so not odd ball.

Originally Posted by porttac
No, it's ok guys...I love my TTS just as it is...I don't mind being the odd ball. I appreciate it that I may be valued for my low values...
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, it's ok guys...I love my TTS just as it is...I don't mind being the odd ball. I appreciate it that I may be valued for my low values...
I too like my TTS ~just the way it is.
I've also been tempted to tune, but have decided to leave it as Audi designed it...
Old 01-21-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to learn about tuning the TT platform, go to golfmk7 forum. Ed at EQT would love to meet you.

Quick Reply: Performance mods for 2016 tts, am I missing something?