TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Picked one up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Picked one up

Long story short: had a MK2 roadster (2011) which we sold at 45k miles to make way for potential kids and bought a Grand Cherokee, plus we started to have some issues with the MK2 that left us a little concerned with the warranty running out. Kids aren't in the cards for a few years so decided to have at least one more dip in the two seater fun car category.

Kept stopping by the audi dealership when we were nearby and kept checking out the new TT, first 2 they put on the showroom sold before we could even start negotiating, dealer got a new TTS and that sold before the truck unloaded the car. According to them they have been getting MSRP for the TT.

Noticed they had 2 on the lot and we had a few back and fourths, I told them what I was willing to pay pre incentives and they took the deal to my surprise.

Grand Cherokee was a great car and was good to us and actually held its value SURPRISINGLY well, allowing us to get out of a 3 year sign and drive no money down lease only 7 months in with almost zero negative equity.

Good to be an all Audi family again as the TT joins the '14 A6 TDI in the garage.

Came down to Monsoon Grey and Florett silver, my vote was for Florett but wife liked monsoon better and since its her car. . . . Really with the scarcity of the TTs we have only seen scuba blue, red and black in person. Still have yet to see either Ibis or Glacier or Mythos Black for that matter. All in all I think Monsoon is a good color, not too dark but not too light.

Upcoming mods:
- Paint film: our last TT was peppered at 10k miles between the front fender flares and lower hood area. Wont make that same mistake again.

- Tint: rear hatch provides a lot of greenhouse space for the Texas sun.

- Lloyd True Berber Mats in black, last forever and always look great. My factory mats on the A6 look like garbage after only a year.

Thoughts on MK2 vs MK3

Such a different car its hard to see the link aside from the obvious heritage aesthetics. Steering is vastly improved as is the ride and handling. Shocking how quiet it is a speed, had it on a concrete interstate around 80 mph on the way back from the dealership and zero wind noise and just a bit of road noise. In fact, engine noise is nicely heard in the car, but its so well insulated that the exhaust noise is a little too muted for my taste - the little upshift 'burp' is really hard to hear compared to the MK2. Stays flat in the corners with just a hint of oversteer - would love to see what this car could do with a rear diff like the S4.

Wife is happy to be back and a TT after 7 months away so that is mostly what matters to me, but I have to say Audi has done a remarkable job with this car, I can only imagine how the TTS compares with its enhancements, though I don't want to know as I am sure I would have parted with even more of my money at the dealership.

Looking forward to the discussions on the car going forward! For those of you who might be on the fence, just do it. Plus it seems there are some deals to be had now on price.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Well done. I currently have a Monsoon Gray allroad and still like the color very much. It takes a shine extremely well (just Zaino'd yesterday). Enjoy!

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Long story short: had a MK2 roadster (2011) which we sold at 45k miles to make way for potential kids and bought a Grand Cherokee, plus we started to have some issues with the MK2 that left us a little concerned with the warranty running out. Kids aren't in the cards for a few years so decided to have at least one more dip in the two seater fun car category.

Kept stopping by the audi dealership when we were nearby and kept checking out the new TT, first 2 they put on the showroom sold before we could even start negotiating, dealer got a new TTS and that sold before the truck unloaded the car. According to them they have been getting MSRP for the TT.

Noticed they had 2 on the lot and we had a few back and fourths, I told them what I was willing to pay pre incentives and they took the deal to my surprise.

Grand Cherokee was a great car and was good to us and actually held its value SURPRISINGLY well, allowing us to get out of a 3 year sign and drive no money down lease only 7 months in with almost zero negative equity.

Good to be an all Audi family again as the TT joins the '14 A6 TDI in the garage.

Came down to Monsoon Grey and Florett silver, my vote was for Florett but wife liked monsoon better and since its her car. . . . Really with the scarcity of the TTs we have only seen scuba blue, red and black in person. Still have yet to see either Ibis or Glacier or Mythos Black for that matter. All in all I think Monsoon is a good color, not too dark but not too light.

Upcoming mods:
- Paint film: our last TT was peppered at 10k miles between the front fender flares and lower hood area. Wont make that same mistake again.

- Tint: rear hatch provides a lot of greenhouse space for the Texas sun.

- Lloyd True Berber Mats in black, last forever and always look great. My factory mats on the A6 look like garbage after only a year.

Thoughts on MK2 vs MK3

Such a different car its hard to see the link aside from the obvious heritage aesthetics. Steering is vastly improved as is the ride and handling. Shocking how quiet it is a speed, had it on a concrete interstate around 80 mph on the way back from the dealership and zero wind noise and just a bit of road noise. In fact, engine noise is nicely heard in the car, but its so well insulated that the exhaust noise is a little too muted for my taste - the little upshift 'burp' is really hard to hear compared to the MK2. Stays flat in the corners with just a hint of oversteer - would love to see what this car could do with a rear diff like the S4.

Wife is happy to be back and a TT after 7 months away so that is mostly what matters to me, but I have to say Audi has done a remarkable job with this car, I can only imagine how the TTS compares with its enhancements, though I don't want to know as I am sure I would have parted with even more of my money at the dealership.

Looking forward to the discussions on the car going forward! For those of you who might be on the fence, just do it. Plus it seems there are some deals to be had now on price.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool! i ordered mine a looong time ago but somehow im still waiting for it and will not get it until sometime in october. i ordered florett silver.

i was curious as hell what the monsoon gray would look like and i must say it looks sharp. fyi i saw a black one at audi dealership in a city 50 miles away. it was really slick. i get the feeling that audi is pushing the colored TT's but in my humble opinion the black, grey, and silver are my favs. to each his/her own.

question: i live in Louisiana and im started to get a bit more interested in having XPEL or 3M or whatever applied. how did you go about finding a reputable place to do this?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

I'd love to see one in monsoon, as I looked at it on another Audi and was not sure how it would look on the new TT. So far I'm preferring the lighter colors for the sharp edges of the Mk3 and the darker ones for the roundness of the Mk2.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mlj1975lsu
question: i live in Louisiana and im started to get a bit more interested in having XPEL or 3M or whatever applied. how did you go about finding a reputable place to do this?
What part of LA? I am originally from New Orleans and have some OCD car guys I can ask. Other than that, try detail/tint shops that you typically see high end cars being worked on.

Originally Posted by visuar
Congrats!

I'd love to see one in monsoon, as I looked at it on another Audi and was not sure how it would look on the new TT. So far I'm preferring the lighter colors for the sharp edges of the Mk3 and the darker ones for the roundness of the Mk2.
I had an S4 in Monsoon but it looks a tad lighter to me on the TT than it did on my B8S4. Its funny how different models wear the same color so differently. Our last TT was volcano red, which I loved on the TT, but then I saw the same color on an A6 and thought it looked horrible.

I am partial to the lighter colors as well on this design, but have yet to see a color I haven't liked. Saw my first Mythos Black the other day as well and thought that looked really sharp.

One thing that is hard is most dealers only have 1 or 2 of the TTs in stock and they are putting them in the showroom vs the lot which to me is the worst place to gauge color, damn near every color looks good under showroom conditions/lighting.

Last edited by MCRN; 09-17-2015 at 05:46 AM.