TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Problems with HRE RC 100 with TTRS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Problems with HRE RC 100 with TTRS?

Purchased HRE RC 100 20in with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for my 2019 Audi TTRS. Over the past 9 months I have gone back to TAG Motorsports 7 times with 4 separate issues with the HREs. First encounter to TAG encompassed a psi leakage due to the knurling in the wheels. For those not familiar with knurling, it is a strip with rigid texture coating the interior portion of the wheel. It is meant to adhere the tire during times of high stress driving (track). I ended returning the wheel to HRE so they can shave the knurling to prevent the leak. I have not returned with any issues with this wheel.

Second encounter, I returned all 4 wheels due to peeling of the powder coat after only a month of owning. Switched back to the stock while HRE completely powder coat all four wheels.

Third encounter, I returned related to the low pressure alarm in the right rear tire. Naturally, I thought, here we go again. This time to my pleasant surprise it was not a HRE related issue. Discovered the tire had a small nail. TAG patched it and off I went.

Fourth and final encounter, so far, resulted in yet another knurling issue in the right front wheel. This time TAG chose to use beading seal. This occurred approximately a week ago. So far, so good with the beading seal.

Yesterday, needless to say, the wheel pressure alarm alerted for a low pressure alarm in the left front tire. My gut sank again and thought, "how do I get rid of these wheels". HRE continues to state they never had this issue before. TAG concurs with this claim. After speaking to an installer, he stated he has seen multiple wheels be returned with knurling issues. A brief google search revealed very little claims of individuals stating issues with this model of HRE with this type of car.

Is this just a freak encounter? When do you say when? I need to take off work and travel at least a hour to TAG for these issues. Thoughts?

Disclaimer, for the record, TAG Motorsports always have been receptive, diagnosed quickly and promptly treated the issue. I really do not think this is a TAG issue. Although, they do seem to take a neutral position between HRE and the customer. I know they work closely together with HRE, so they do not want to jeopardize the relationship. I just wish they would advocate to the customer and provide a few course of actions. For example, perhaps advocate for a trade in, a return for a refund or at least a trade in value for another wheel.

Last edited by harris4crna; 09-05-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harris4crna

Purchased HRE RC 100 20in with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for my 2019 Audi TTRS. Over the past 9 months I have gone back to TAG Motorsports 7 times with 4 separate issues with the HREs. First encounter to TAG encompassed a psi leakage due to the knurling in the wheels. For those not familiar with knurling, it is a strip with rigid texture coating the interior portion of the wheel. It is meant to adhere the tire during times of high stress driving (track). I ended returning the wheel to HRE so they can shave the knurling to prevent the leak. I have not returned with any issues with this wheel.

Second encounter, I returned all 4 wheels due to peeling of the powder coat after only a month of owning. Switched back to the stock while HRE completely powder coat all four wheels.

Third encounter, I returned related to the low pressure alarm in the right rear tire. Naturally, I thought, here we go again. This time to my pleasant surprise it was not a HRE related issue. Discovered the tire had a small nail. TAG patched it and off I went.

Fourth and final encounter, so far, resulted in yet another knurling issue in the right front wheel. This time TAG chose to use beading seal. This occurred approximately a week ago. So far, so good with the beading seal.

Yesterday, needless to say, the wheel pressure alarm alerted for a low pressure alarm in the left front tire. My gut sank again and thought, "how do I get rid of these wheels". HRE continues to state they never had this issue before. TAG concurs with this claim. After speaking to an installer, he stated he has seen multiple wheels be returned with knurling issues. A brief google search revealed very little claims of individuals stating issues with this model of HRE with this type of car.

Is this just a freak encounter? When do you say when? I need to take off work and travel at least a hour to TAG for these issues. Thoughts?

Disclaimer, for the record, TAG Motorsports always have been receptive, diagnosed quickly and promptly treated the issue. I really do not think this is a TAG issue. Although, they do seem to take a neutral position between HRE and the customer. I know they work closely together with HRE, so they do not want to jeopardize the relationship. I just wish they would advocate to the customer and provide a few course of actions. For example, perhaps advocate for a trade in, a return for a refund or at least a trade in value for another wheel.
Given the fact that TAG has been receptive and provided great service, and given the fact that this seems to be a chronic issue, I would vote to ditch the wheels and either get another similar brand or have HRE replace them. You obviously have paid premium $$ for the wheels along with having to go back and forth trying to get it resolved. You don't need the continued headache.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman
Given the fact that TAG has been receptive and provided great service, and given the fact that this seems to be a chronic issue, I would vote to ditch the wheels and either get another similar brand or have HRE replace them. You obviously have paid premium $$ for the wheels along with having to go back and forth trying to get it resolved. You don't need the continued headache.
Went out to the garage yesterday to discover both front tires completely flat. This is the nightmare that keeps on giving. Fortunately Audi comes with the ability to add air to the tires. So I did. Went to Evans tires, but they said they could not take care of it despite stating they could. Well, that wasted a cansister. Today, off to TAG once again. This time I’m going back to stock.