TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Seat Separation TSB - Final Solution Not Ready?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Seat Separation TSB - Final Solution Not Ready?

Hey all, don't mean to double-post about the seat separation issue, but the new info I posted is buried at the bottom of 110 replies on the original thread and I figured nobody would see it, so started a new thread since the TSB answered a lot of my questions.

I recently caved in and bought a one-day subscription to erWin to download all the repair manuals and TSB's for my VIN. I know I probably can't post the TSB for the seat separation issue on here in its entirety (although someone may already have), but I thought the description section was extremely revealing so I'll paste it below.

Thoughts before I paste it: I had mine done in Feb 2018 and my airbag was replaced. The passenger's side has a gap again, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was (driver's side totally coming off), so I really don't care. When I read the below, from my understanding, it sounds like they realized they had a big problem, so used the same design (and maybe molds/tooling), but just a stronger type of plastic (ABS). Then, they needed a stronger (?) airbag to punch through it. Then it sounds like they totally redesigned it to be strong enough with the original plastic, so as to keep themselves from having to install all new airbags (obviously expensive for them). They say summer 2017 the new design should be ready, but it obviously wasn't if I had to have new airbags in 2018. So maybe those of us who had new airbags put in have received the "intermediate" solution? Does that make sense to everyone else? The TSB itself states "This TSB will be updated as soon as the new parts are available that do not require the airbag replacement." So the fact that I'm still reading that from a just-downloaded TSB tells me the parts aren't ready yet...

The TSB description section, dated 30 March, 2017:
"If the customer comes in with concern of seat trim loose and trim is just slightly loose (As shown in Figure 1, Figure 2, and Figure 3), please try to postpone the repair. If the trim is completely loose or falling off, you may move forward with the replacement. You will have to replace the side airbag and airbag guide plate repair kit as well. There is the possibility of a significant delay on those parts at this time.
The trim material was changed to ABS plastic which is significantly stronger than the old material. The new ABS plastic that is being used does require the side airbag to be replaced. This change was made in production on the side trim panels on November 8, 2016.
There is a new seat side trim expected in the coming months that will be a significant upgrade from the original trim but will NOT require airbag replacement. We are asking that if at all possible to postpone the repair until the new part becomes available. We are looking at Summer 2017 availability. This TSB will be updated as soon as the new parts are available that do not require the airbag replacement.
If the trim is completely separated from the seat or the customer is unwilling to postpone the repair, please proceed with repairing with the available trim pieces and replacing the airbag shield.
If you have to replace the trim on a vehicle produced after November 8, 2016 you do not need to replace the airbag, only the side trim pieces."
Old 06-21-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I took my car to the dealer February for an inspection and to look at the seat. They confirmed that the airbag needed to be replaced and would get the parts.
I never heard from them again.
I hope the 2019 TTS will have this rectified, because I am seriously thinking of trading in my 2016.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My TTS was built October 08, 2015, exactly thirteen months prior to the TSB-cited production cut in of a better part. Therefore my airbag was replaced when my passenger seat was recently addressed. So far so good. Of course I'm always aware of the driver's seat ticking time ......
Old 06-21-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's the thing I'm getting at slash wanting other people's interpretation of:

I'm not sure that any of us have gotten a "better part", merely the same part made out of a slightly stronger plastic as a stop-gap measure until they could actually fix the problem with the design (version 1.5 if we will).

My passenger seat is separating again, and I think most people who have had this done have had problems again. I'm wondering if I should wait until the real, Version 2 part comes out and take it in again and make sure they have this one, not V1.5? But then, I've had my airbags replaced, so will they even put Version 2 on again? The TSB sounds like Version 2 will not require new airbags, so I assume if we've had 1.5 put on, they will have to go back to the original air bags?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great info, well done.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

For anyone keeping their TT beyond warranty, this info is very important. It's hard to know which fix was applied since many of us had it done in the early stages when dealers didn't understand it. Some of us may have even had different repairs within the same car. My dealer would only do one side at a time as they "popped" so that turned into 3 service visits over the course of a year. Meanwhile as noted above, the service and parts evolved. In my case, the paperwork of parts is different from the first seat trim that was done to the last. I have a hunch the early repairs were not done correctly so that could be a (costly) problem outside of warranty.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my seats repaired and I saw many of the parts used. There is an entirely new aluminum support structure/backing plate with a different shape which is much more rigid. This required a new airbag to fit. And there is a newly designed, stronger outer cover with more attachment points to the backing plate. The new set up certainly feels much better. There is no flex when pulling the seat forward. I’m happy with the results.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats repaired but other damage was done

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Hey all, don't mean to double-post about the seat separation issue, but the new info I posted is buried at the bottom of 110 replies on the original thread and I figured nobody would see it, so started a new thread since the TSB answered a lot of my questions.

I recently caved in and bought a one-day subscription to erWin to download all the repair manuals and TSB's for my VIN. I know I probably can't post the TSB for the seat separation issue on here in its entirety (although someone may already have), but I thought the description section was extremely revealing so I'll paste it below.

Thoughts before I paste it: I had mine done in Feb 2018 and my airbag was replaced. The passenger's side has a gap again, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was (driver's side totally coming off), so I really don't care. When I read the below, from my understanding, it sounds like they realized they had a big problem, so used the same design (and maybe molds/tooling), but just a stronger type of plastic (ABS). Then, they needed a stronger (?) airbag to punch through it. Then it sounds like they totally redesigned it to be strong enough with the original plastic, so as to keep themselves from having to install all new airbags (obviously expensive for them). They say summer 2017 the new design should be ready, but it obviously wasn't if I had to have new airbags in 2018. So maybe those of us who had new airbags put in have received the "intermediate" solution? Does that make sense to everyone else? The TSB itself states "This TSB will be updated as soon as the new parts are available that do not require the airbag replacement." So the fact that I'm still reading that from a just-downloaded TSB tells me the parts aren't ready yet...

The TSB description section, dated 30 March, 2017:
"If the customer comes in with concern of seat trim loose and trim is just slightly loose (As shown in Figure 1, Figure 2, and Figure 3), please try to postpone the repair. If the trim is completely loose or falling off, you may move forward with the replacement. You will have to replace the side airbag and airbag guide plate repair kit as well. There is the possibility of a significant delay on those parts at this time.
The trim material was changed to ABS plastic which is significantly stronger than the old material. The new ABS plastic that is being used does require the side airbag to be replaced. This change was made in production on the side trim panels on November 8, 2016.
There is a new seat side trim expected in the coming months that will be a significant upgrade from the original trim but will NOT require airbag replacement. We are asking that if at all possible to postpone the repair until the new part becomes available. We are looking at Summer 2017 availability. This TSB will be updated as soon as the new parts are available that do not require the airbag replacement.
If the trim is completely separated from the seat or the customer is unwilling to postpone the repair, please proceed with repairing with the available trim pieces and replacing the airbag shield.
If you have to replace the trim on a vehicle produced after November 8, 2016 you do not need to replace the airbag, only the side trim pieces."
The side panels on both front seats of my TTS started coming apart in March, and by April, they were barely hanging on. The new dealership here in town took ages to get the parts and about a week to complete the repairs. When I picked the car up, I noticed serious gouges and scratches on the interior plastic trim, both sides, from when the seats were removed/replaced. The dealership admitted the damage but is dragging their heels on getting replacement trim parts in for a repair.
I have also just noticed a type of plastic shelf/bracket under just the driver's seat. Is that supposed to be there? I never noticed it before and wonder if it's supposed to be a real drawer or something else that was changed when the seats were removed. Does anyone have an image of this interior area from their 2016 TTS? (upgraded seats).
Old 07-02-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That framework/shelf under the seat holds the owners manual pouch. It frees up some space in the glove box.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh, ok, good to know! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Seat Separation TSB - Final Solution Not Ready?