TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

So are the exhaust burbles, crackles and pops gone for good on the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Isn't the exhaust noise electronically generated via the same sound system used by the radio? Therefore, Federal regulations do not apply.
The system you refer to is VAG's 'Soundakator' which I believe is only used on 4 cylinders like the TT and TTS. To my knowledge, it is not employed on the 5 cylinders in the TT RS and RS3.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Soundakator is only internal noise, right? And doesn't have anything to do with the external exhaust noise as far as I am aware.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Correct

Originally Posted by MattRG
Soundakator is only internal noise, right? And doesn't have anything to do with the external exhaust noise as far as I am aware.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo337
I recently purchased a 2018 TT RS and noticed that it barely has the pops n crackle. Granted I only have 700 miles on her😩.
With my 2018 TTRS manufactured after the ECU refresh issue, because I had to limit my acceleration and keep the revs below 4000 until 1,500 kms were reached, I found as I drove it more and began hitting revs over 4000, the exhaust notes and response changed. I always drive with dynamic, sport shifting, and exhaust button in the "sport" or as I refer to it "Loud" position, and there was more rumble, burbles, and pops as I put more milage on it.

I think it takes a while for the ECU to adapt to the higher rpms and more aggressive driving after the "break in" period and also the exhaust system starts to adapt and brake in. Its like a fine wine...improves with age.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been in for my 10,000 miles service and I don't know if they updated the ECU or not....but it pops the same as before. You really want to hear the pops, lay down your seats.....you'll be surprised at how much gurgling it's doing.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
I've been in for my 10,000 miles service and I don't know if they updated the ECU or not....but it pops the same as before. You really want to hear the pops, lay down your seats.....you'll be surprised at how much gurgling it's doing.
Thumbs up to that! I plan on dropping those rear seats pretty much from day one and keeping them in that position unless I need them raised for some strange reason.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRG
Thumbs up to that! I plan on dropping those rear seats pretty much from day one and keeping them in that position unless I need them raised for some strange reason.
Putting the rear seats down does not work for me as I keep gear in the back that requires constraint but have found that simply removing the package tray does almost as well.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my TT RS since November and the seats have been down since the day I took delivery. I find the rear cargo space with the seats down very usable for my needs.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was concerned about the snap crackle and pops but now I have 4500kms on the car it seems to be getting louder. I had my first real snap when slowing down from the highway. Thought something had fallen off the car Dynamic mode gives the best sounds, but from what I can tell it still won't rev above 4000rpm when stationary, but that might be a scared right foot loving my car too much
Old 06-22-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

REMEMBER: You have to cycle the setting to Dynamic every time you start the car or it's not in Dynamic. This has made the exhaust button useless for me.

Quick Reply: So are the exhaust burbles, crackles and pops gone for good on the RS?