TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT RS long distance driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, I rented it through Audi on Demand as well. They do inflate tires to the recommended max load tire pressure on the door, so do most dealers and I do the same on my cars. I don't like the handling if I drop the tire pressure to normal load. So, my comparison is between all cars with tires inflated to the recommended max load tire pressure. One can dial in more comfort by lowering the tires pressure to the recommended normal load specified in the owner's manual, but it also causes more roll in the tires around corners, which is what I don't like.

We do here in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's called Audi on Demand. I use it as my flexible third car option for when I have a specific need or I feel like driving something else that I don't necessarily wanna own and just have it depreciate in my garage such as the R8. I'm actually taking out the R8 Coupe this Saturday for a day in the canyons.

https://www.us.audiondemand.com/us/s..._ondemand.html

This is a great service, I may have to fly down and check out an R8 for the weekend and maybe the spider if the weather is any good...I wonder if they have this in Arizona...Hmmm...Worth some more research.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by BRKNJMPR
This is a great service, I may have to fly down and check out an R8 for the weekend and maybe the spider if the weather is any good...I wonder if they have this in Arizona...Hmmm...Worth some more research.
San Francisco is the pilot city for the service. In the meantime they have opened up in Munich and China (Beijing I believe). I've heard they have plans to expand to 15 other markets, but don't know where they are.

Couple of pics from three weeks ago with the R8 Spyder.
Attached Thumbnails TT RS long distance driver?-20170923_212037252_ios.jpg   TT RS long distance driver?-20170923_212008264_ios.jpg  

Last edited by superswiss; 10-19-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
...Couple of pics from three weeks ago with the R8 Spyder.
Ok, that looks like fun.

To OP, I find the road noise and wind noise quite a bit more in my TTS vs. my A4 and Q7. I was torn between the S5 and TTS, but ended up wanting to 'get something different'. This works because I have other cars to drive on longer trips (and when I need to make calls from the car). That said, I am immediately trading the TTS for a TTRS 'coz I love the format of the TT... and it is SO fun.

Go for a "5" for grand tourer, or TT for serious play.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Several TTRS vs RS3 comparisons available

There are articles and YouTube videos. One of the best articles is here https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/09...ifferent-cars/

The RS3 is not as fast but more comfortable cruising. Personally, I agree with the authors that the RS3 styling is underwhelming.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up a TTS last year in Ingolstadt via European Delivery. Drove it for 3000+ joyful kilometers through Germany, Italy and Switzerland. Comfort was great for cruising longer distances and not a single complaint from my wife for the entire trip, and she usually complains about ride quality. She hated the BMW 335i that we got rid of for the TTS. Towards the end, after passing the recommended break-in period I switched her to dynamic and sport mode to let her rip. Smiles from ear to ear...

The TT-RS should be even more fun. Highly recommend ED if you have the time for it.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BRKNJMPR
The only downfall the car has is the lack of the driver assistant packages that make travelling on congested highways less frustrating, just set the “Adaptive cruise control” and relax. While some would argue that this is a sports car and meant to be driven by the driver I just think it ridiculous that a car that costs this much money doesnt have DAP (Drivers Assistance Package), this is where Audi really cheated us and something I’ve become quite used to as I have DAP in my 2015 Grande Cherokee and even in my 2016 VW GTI. , YMMV.
OK Well that disqualifies the TT RS for me- My Golf R has the PERFECT DAP and the TTRS for 75k US has almost NOTHING- I will not out of principle buy a 75k car that doesnt't have blind spot monitoring- I dont care how small the car is. In these congested road highways in Texas and I do a lot of driving on them- not having a complete DAP is a non starter for me. And of course the fact that every KIA or Hyundai in the 20k range has all the sensors... THANK YOU for the heads up on that.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

The TTRS (with the Tech Package) does have blind spot monitoring ("Audi side assist"). Just not adaptive cruise control and lane departure stuff...

Last edited by BlackOptic; 10-20-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LOVEMYGOLFR
OK Well that disqualifies the TT RS for me- My Golf R has the PERFECT DAP and the TTRS for 75k US has almost NOTHING- I will not out of principle buy a 75k car that doesnt't have blind spot monitoring- I dont care how small the car is. In these congested road highways in Texas and I do a lot of driving on them- not having a complete DAP is a non starter for me. And of course the fact that every KIA or Hyundai in the 20k range has all the sensors... THANK YOU for the heads up on that.
There's blind spot monitoring, and it's predictive (fast approaching cars will trigger flashing). The car is great, I drive in TX with mine and love it. Please check Audi's website for what it does/does not have. It just doesn't have adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. If you're near SAT, you're welcome to check out my TT RS.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ormandj
There's blind spot monitoring, and it's predictive (fast approaching cars will trigger flashing). The car is great, I drive in TX with mine and love it. Please check Audi's website for what it does/does not have. It just doesn't have adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. If you're near SAT, you're welcome to check out my TT RS.
Thank you and yes I didn't know what "side assist" meant so that is good and that is the most important one for me- I live in the hills outside of New Braunfels and my Golf R (My daily) has the complete DAP with adaptive headlights/high beams (I LOVE that feature) but it is a nicety- I must have Blind sport monitoring and that is the most important sooo
and yes would love to take a look at your ride if possible..
Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

LOVEMYGOLFR, my suggestion would be test drive a TTS, might be a better "sweet spot" car than the RS.
Audit Side Assist is very good, this is my 3rd Audi with this feature.
Please note that the TT does not have Memory Seats, that is the most common missing feature people complain about.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 10-20-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: TT RS long distance driver?