TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT RS MK3 brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
Coat your wheels with this and they'll be so easy to clean....it's amazing stuff. It will not make it wash off with a pressure washer but it will clean off easily with a light wash mitt or brush....
I notice a lot of dust, I'll be coating the new wheels with C5 and if I'm lucky I'll have enough in this bottle to do the OEM wheels also.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
If you replace them, any warranty issues other than the pads themselves? Do the less dusty ones stop as well?
GaBoy, I replaced front pads on my 2016 S7 at only 300 miles with Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Pad. The dust on my stock brakes were terrible. Expensive $180 for front pads but 1/4 the dust, great stopping power and quiet. I ordered mine from Brake World but they don't have them listed for the TTRS yet. I had no warranty problems, had it serviced at Audi and traded it in for the TTRS.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle
GaBoy, I replaced front pads on my 2016 S7 at only 300 miles with Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Pad. The dust on my stock brakes were terrible. Expensive $180 for front pads but 1/4 the dust, great stopping power and quiet. I ordered mine from Brake World but they don't have them listed for the TTRS yet. I had no warranty problems, had it serviced at Audi and traded it in for the TTRS.

I'll have to check those out....maybe a Xmas present for myself...it sure would be nice to not have all that dust. It's one of the main reasons I wash my car so much which is unnecessary with it coated in ceramic. Not sure why I was worried about warranty so much other than seeing post on forums of the 2012 TTRS issues....and I think they were rare. I'm having the springs changed out before I pick the car up by the dealer to H&R's...
Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 AM
PKT
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been talking with a Hawk sales rep trying to figure out what fits. I ordered what they recommended but neither front or back worked. Off to the post office to get a refund.

I have learned a few things:
  1. The front pads are not the same as the R8 Brembo 8 piston setup. Pads are the same size, but the brake sensor connection on the pad needs to be male, where as the R8 pad has a female connector. Good job Audi.
  2. Our rear brake calipers are the same as the Mk7 Golf R (2015+) rear calipers. So if you need rears, those are the size to look for.
On a positive note, it is super easy to change the front pads. Gently pop out the two pins on the pad clips with a punch, wiggle the pads free then reverse the process for new pads.

Last edited by PKT; 09-30-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody figure out any options that actually fit? Had track time recently and I will be soon needing new pads. I'd like to go with something better than OEM on the TT RS.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Iguana1500
Anyone notice lots of brake dust? We haven't yet but we have mostly been doing highway driving and not a lot of braking.
Sorry I'm one of the poor people in here with just an S haha. And dear good lord YES so much dust, I can even imagine how much it is on the RS. I'll aim just plain water at the front wheels and my driveway turns black.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

One of the complaints about the TTRS' high performance brakes is too much squeal. It's hard to find an "anti-fade" brake pad that is also low noise. So, Audi goes with a quieter street pad on the TT/TTS which unfortunately also produces a lot of dust.

My wife has had a lot of Lexus' over the years and they were quiet but extremely dusty. I have to say her Caddy ATS pads were very low dust. But then it can also be a matter of better venting that dissipates same to a degree.

I've had some aftermarket low dust yet good anti-fade pads on other performance cars, so it can be done. It all comes down to pad formulation, cost and the vendor's willingness to produce same for a low volume vehicle.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
So, Audi goes with a quieter street pad on the TT/TTS which unfortunately also produces a lot of dust.
Ah very interesting! I know nothing about brakes. Does anyone have any basic information on the TTS brakes? What are they (4-piston?), who makes them, are they good/bad, etc?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

TTS are Brembo and very good mechanically, but again just wish they were lower dust pads.

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Ah very interesting! I know nothing about brakes. Does anyone have any basic information on the TTS brakes? What are they (4-piston?), who makes them, are they good/bad, etc?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
TTS are Brembo and very good mechanically, but again just wish they were lower dust pads.
No kidding! I figured if they were brembo they'd have "Brembo" all over them haha. My car-clueless friend was like "Wow they put the model name inside the wheels" hahahaha

Not that I don't believe you, just how did you know that? I scoured Audi's website and brochure and there's nothing there about the S brakes.

Quick Reply: TT RS MK3 brake pads?