TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT/TTS Coupe Weight Distribution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT/TTS Coupe Weight Distribution?

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere (I didn't see any threads on topic), but does anyone have an accurate figure for the weight distribution of the U.S. spec MK3 TT or TTS Coupe? I'm curious to see how much progress Audi's made balancing the weight with the revised space frame, the longer wheelbase, and the updated engine position in the MQB platform. I searched around but couldn't find any authoritative information about MK3 weight distribution other than vague suggestions that it's more evenly balanced than previous generations.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Not the best indicator, but the factory recommended tire pressure is 35F/32R so clearly there is more weight over the front axel - though tough to say how much of that is calculated as load of expected passangers over dry weight as well as if Audi is/is not taking into account 2 people in what little of a rear seat there is.

I know they moved the clutch further back in this generation, as well as moved the CG several CM lower, so willing to bet they are resonably close to 50:50 on the Quattro model. The engine still sits forward of the front axel, though its closer now than its ever been.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looking at slide 15 of this presentation (http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speak...idt_oliver.pdf), am I correct in thinking that the engine in the MK2 was mounted with the cylinder head tilting toward the front of the car like the rest of the Golf variants with petrol engines from that era? If so, the tilt rearward in the MK3 could also make a big difference in weight distribution. As you noted, the engine mass looks to be centered a lot closer to the front axle instead of hanging out front. I'm eager to see some official specs, but I still haven't found any yet.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

For kicks, I called Audi USA's product info line to ask about the weight distribution. Sadly, it took 5 minutes for the rep to understand what I was after (he offered up curb weight and tire pressures hoping they would suffice), but once he understood, he kept digging.15 minutes later, he came back with some info. Without being able to specify TT or TTS or coupe or convertible, he says the MK3 weight distribution is 60/40, improved from 62/38 in the MK2.

I don't know if those are trustworthy numbers or not, but I kind of hope the MK3 stat is wrong. Why? Fourtitude's MK1 TT FAQ says the Quattro MK1 had a 60/40 weight distribution, and I've read that Audi has improved the weight distribution over 2 generations, so I'm thinking one of those figures must be wrong. Also of note: in my quest for the Mk3 weight distribution, I found claims that the current Golf R is 60/40 and 59/41, though again, no details about 2D or 4D, transmission or European/US models.

Anyhow, I want to believe that the MK3 has better than 60/40 weight distribution, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'm certainly open to any additional info from the group.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C&D test results

New Car & Driver test quotes 59.1% front, 40.9% rear. So, better than 60/40 but still a ways from 50/50.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nombre6
New Car & Driver test quotes 59.1% front, 40.9% rear. So, better than 60/40 but still a ways from 50/50.
Thanks for the heads up. I used to subscribe to C&D but stopped a few years back. I signed up for a digital trial subscription to access the November 2015 issue including the TT review. It's a mixed bag, but nothing too unexpected IMO.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was perusing some other C&D reviews this evening and I noted that the weight distribution on the M235i xDrive is a surprising 54/46, slightly changed from the 53/47 of the RWD version. Being a BMW, I would have thought it would be closer to 50/50.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I read the recent TTR review in The Truth About Cars, and I noted that they estimate the F/R weight distribution to be 54/46. I suppose the keyword is "estimated," but I want to believe it's true. And given my experience to date, the TTS simply doesn't feel like it carries 59% of its mass over the front wheels. Either the C&D figure is wrong or Audi has done a spectacular job hiding the effects of a front-heavy car.

The article: 2016 Audi TT Roadster Review ? Not Just a Pretty Face
Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a Cayman S and a (modded) Mk1 TT. I have tracked both of them. IMHO there is nothing magic about 50 50 weight distribution. For the less than professional driver (like me) there are advantages to a bit of forward weight bias and there most definitely are advantages to Quattro. My lap times in the old Audi are very close to those of the Cayman S and I am far more at ease in achieving them in it. The 60 40 of the new TT does not bother me. It is an Audi. Add a bit of rear roll stiffness to make it rotate and it will be just fine.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Coupe is 59.8 front / 40.2 rear
Roadster is 59.2 front / 40.8 rear

Quick Reply: TT/TTS Coupe Weight Distribution?