TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTRS 20" weight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought the factory 20" were forged? This says they are cast.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
I thought the factory 20" were forged? This says they are cast.
Based strictly on what @Glisse provided there are two 20” factory wheels, one forged, one cast. The “blade” wheel sold in the US is forged. I will say (anecdotally) they feel pretty lightweight for their size (with the tire). Is that what you meant by “this”?
Old 03-08-2021, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ABT ER-F lightest 19 in wheel out there (barring magnesium)

Weight 17.67 lbs / 8.0 kg

Weight 17.67 lbs / 8.0 kg Much better over pothiles , more comfortable ride and lighter steering. Lost 9.13 lbs per corner on wheels at keast not sure about tires . currentky in 255/35/19 mps4s , previous 255/30/20 yokohama advan
The following users liked this post:
BRKNJMPR (03-23-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Great setup. Are the springs & sway bar 034 as well?

Originally Posted by chunk_split
Thanks @Glisse for the info. 😊 I’ve revisited this thread a few times to get an idea of the OEM “blade” weight just for comparison and research reasons while I was figuring out what I wanted to do to my car.

For what it’s worth (maybe not much, especially considering how many different things I did all at once), I’ve noticed a significant improvement in acceleration, deceleration, cornering and easier wheel rotation after swapping out my wheels, tires, springs and a rear sway bar. However, since I also added the rear sway bar and lowering springs, it’s really hard to attribute what I’m noticing in terms of handling strictly to the weight loss (particularly since the newer tires are probably also quite a bit better on traction, along with that extra width). That said, I figured I would still weigh in here just to share my experience.

In terms of weight savings, I got lighter wheels, but slightly heavier/wider tires with thicker sidewall. Based on my research, I theoretically netted about roughly -3.1lbs on each wheel after everything. I say that because unfortunately I didn’t think to ask the folks at the shop to actually weigh them for me, but I might have a chance the next time I’m around in a month or so since 2 of my old OEM wheels are still at their shop (I’m having them add their new J-hook brakes for the TT RS on the next visit when they’re released in March/April 2021).

Specifically: I got lighter 034Motorsport ZTF-01 forged wheels @ 20.7lbs wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265/35ZR19 @ 26lbs (total 46.7lbs). I’m comparing that to the OEM Blade wheels noted above @ ~26.8lbs (12.16kg) which came with the lighter Pirelli P Zero 255/35ZR20 @ 23lbs (total 49.8). NOTE: Pretty sure that’s the right tire, not 100% but it looks accurate (and even though the Pirelli’s have a thick sidewall, they don’t appear to be labeled as run flat which would have added a lot more weight).

I know it’s not a photos thread but here’s what they look like anyway. 🥰

my wheel manufacturer(abt) will only reccomend me 4 tire sizes 245/35/19.. 255/30/19... 255/35/19 what i have now... And 265/30/19... Definetly think would be awesome to have 265/35 like yours. Main ? Is are your lowering springs 034 also ? And your rear sway bar? Im looking fir a similar setup and wondering hiw you like yours in terms of street performance and /comfort. I had just bought my wheels befire yours came out itherwise id of bought yours had ibseen them first. An excellet choice the ztf o34. Also looked at the TE037
Old 03-08-2021, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Merlin Purple
my wheel manufacturer(abt) will only reccomend me 4 tire sizes 245/35/19.. 255/30/19... 255/35/19 what i have now... And 265/30/19...
On sizing/fitment: Yeah, I'd imagine it's probably because of the width of the wheel itself which is 9". This wheel is custom fitted to fit perfectly on 8V/8V.5 RS3 and 8J/8S TT/TTS/TTRS (since 034 specializes in VW and Audi, they also own and daily drive several test cars, a few of which I got to see in person). In this case, the wheel is an odd width, 9.3" and they recommend the wider 265's which bulge out ever-so-slightly which you can see from a few of the angles/photos I've attached below (first one is on my car and the second is 034's, both have 034's lowering springs). Here's another video that demonstrates it as well:
(but doesn't have the lowering springs). As you can see, fitment is perfect! No spacers or anything, just slap on the tires and install the wheels and you're set; that's why I was so into it, plus they look pretty good (in my subjective opinion). This is in contrast to the more typical 9.5" width which starts to encounter some issues with colliding with the fender and maybe some internal parts (not 100% sure what), so to get that you'd probably have to roll the fenders. I bumped into Nick at the shop who I think told me that 19.3" was the perfect width to ensure the ideal amount of clearance whilst also allowing the 265mm tire width. I've read somewhere that someone has fitted 275's but I don't think that's recommended per se. Also as you can see, the offset is basically perfect, at least in terms of performance and clearance. The actual person I spoke to, both in person at the shop and in the video comments was Nick who's on the right in this video:
(where they also explain it in some detail in the video)!

Originally Posted by Merlin Purple
Main ? Is are your lowering springs 034 also ? And your rear sway bar? Im looking fir a similar setup and wondering hiw you like yours in terms of street performance and /comfort. I had just bought my wheels befire yours came out itherwise id of bought yours had ibseen them first. An excellet choice the ztf o34.
Thank you!

Other parts: Yes, everything I've done to my car is actually all 034Motorsport! Except for the APR+ ECU tune, but I'm also considering their ECU tune as well.

So here's the full setup so far (installed all in one day):Coming soon (late March, early April):Also considering:Comfort / ride quality: Way better. In every way, at least as far as I can notice. I noticed with the 19" wheels even on Michelin Pilot Super Sports vs. the OEM 20" wheels on Pirelli P Zeros that the ride was dramatically improved. Granted, I got springs as well and wider tires, but even with lowering springs, the ride is smoother and quieter on most road surfaces. Only on very bumpy roads or maybe over speed bumps do I notice that things are more firm with the lowering springs. I only noticed a small amount of scraping (probably bottom of front splitter, not the wheel in the wheel well) when driving aggressively into a dip in the road on a turn. Anyway, I can confidently attribute the better ride quality to the fact that the tires have a ticker side wall and probably also are just better rated for comfort. Also important to note that the sidewall width also compensates for the reduced wheel diameter.

Performance: Please keep in mind that a lot of factors are working together here! That is, wider tires, better offset and lowered so a wider stance, also lowering springs feel stiffer than stock (as you can imagine) but the feel of the ride overall (as noted above) is still very good, if not better. Cornering feels much better, thanks to the rear sway bar and the brand new tires which (probably apples to apples, if same size as original Pirelli's) might still perform better if you go by the tirerack.com ratings. I definitely have less understeer than before, but it doesn't feel like it's eliminated. However, the car absolutely feels much more like it's "on rails" than it did before and definitely doesn't sway from side to side like it used to, which is great and a largely thanks to the sway bar + coils. Also, one major improvement I noticed was the turn in, so it immediately responds to steering input, which I attribute to all three major factors, the springs, wider tires so it tracks better and then of course the sway bar. It feels like it's much more difficult to push the limits of the car vs. before. Those limits definitely feel like they've gone up a bit vs. before with the fully stock wheels, suspension and sway bar.

Last edited by chunk_split; 03-08-2021 at 03:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chunk_split:
dpenso (03-09-2021), Merlin Purple (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Guys, I'm sorry -- I keep trying to edit the post, but this damned forum won't let me simply link to a video without expanding it. So, I'm giving up for now since it's a gigantic PITA to get it to format it right without exploding the text with the damned embedded videos.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank You Chunk Split

On sizing/fitment: Yeah, I'd imagine it's probably because of the width of the wheel itself which is 9". This wheel is custom fitted to fit perfectly on 8V/8V.5 RS3 and 8J/8S TT/TTS/TTRS (since 034 specializes in VW and Audi, they also own and daily drive several test cars, a few of which I got to see in person). In this case, the wheel is an odd width, 9.3" and they recommend the wider 265's which bulge out ever-so-slightly which you can see from a few of the angles/photos I've attached below (first one is on my car and the second is 034's, both have 034's lowering springs). Here's another video that demonstrates it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSvq2TaIFEI (but doesn't have the lowering springs). As you can see, fitment is perfect! No spacers or anything, just slap on the tires and install the wheels and you're set; that's why I was so into it, plus they look pretty good (in my subjective opinion). This is in contrast to the more typical 9.5" width which starts to encounter some issues with colliding with the fender and maybe some internal parts (not 100% sure what), so to get that you'd probably have to roll the fenders. I bumped into Nick at the shop who I think told me that 19.3" was the perfect width to ensure the ideal amount of clearance whilst also allowing the 265mm tire width. I've read somewhere that someone has fitted 275's but I don't think that's recommended per se. Also as you can see, the offset is basically perfect, at least in terms of performance and clearance. The actual person I spoke to, both in person at the shop and in the video comments was Nick who's on the right in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbn4LH-Bx9w (where they also explain it in some detail in the video)!

Thank you!

Other parts: Yes, everything I've done to my car is actually all 034Motorsport! Except for the APR+ ECU tune, but I'm also considering their ECU tune as well.

So here's the full setup so far (installed all in one day):Coming soon (late March, early April):Also considering:Comfort / ride quality: Way better. In every way, at least as far as I can notice. I noticed with the 19" wheels even on Michelin Pilot Super Sports vs. the OEM 20" wheels on Pirelli P Zeros that the ride was dramatically improved. Granted, I got springs as well and wider tires, but even with lowering springs, the ride is smoother and quieter on most road surfaces. Only on very bumpy roads or maybe over speed bumps do I notice that things are more firm with the lowering springs. I only noticed a small amount of scraping (probably bottom of front splitter, not the wheel in the wheel well) when driving aggressively into a dip in the road on a turn. Anyway, I can confidently attribute the better ride quality to the fact that the tires have a ticker side wall and probably also are just better rated for comfort. Also important to note that the sidewall width also compensates for the reduced wheel diameter.

Performance: Please keep in mind that a lot of factors are working together here! That is, wider tires, better offset and lowered so a wider stance, also lowering springs feel stiffer than stock (as you can imagine) but the feel of the ride overall (as noted above) is still very good, if not better. Cornering feels much better, thanks to the rear sway bar and the brand new tires which (probably apples to apples, if same size as original Pirelli's) might still perform better if you go by the tirerack.com ratings. I definitely have less understeer than before, but it doesn't feel like it's eliminated. However, the car absolutely feels much more like it's "on rails" than it did before and definitely doesn't sway from side to side like it used to, which is great and a largely thanks to the sway bar + coils. Also, one major improvement I noticed was the turn in, so it immediately responds to steering input, which I attribute to all three major factors, the springs, wider tires so it tracks better and then of course the sway bar. It feels like it's much more difficult to push the limits of the car vs. before. Those limits definitely feel like they've gone up a bit vs. before with the fully stock wheels, suspension and sway bar.

That was most thorough and detailed response I've ever received on an audi ttrs forum , you answered my questions and even future questions I was about to ask you. Thanks again for all the answers. I love my wheels as they only weigh 17.67 lbs and we're made specifically for my car by abt and forged and tuv approved.. I may try the 265-30-19 just for the extra width but wish I could have those 265-35-19's without issues. No spacers on mine and et of 40. There's a couple vids with my wheels on autotopnl youtube channel for abt TTRS-R.
.. I think I may take a trip to 034 and have them take my suspension to the next level. I don't track or drag race the car, just spirited street and freeway driving and only endanger myself and not innocent people. Your looks great btw that color pairs nicely without the black optics . The silver matches the badges and mirrors nicely as well. I think a 265 tire would fill out my wheel arches too. Here's a pic of my wheels on mps4s

Weight 17.67 lbs / 8.0 kg Much better over pothiles , more comfortable ride and lighter steering. Lost 9.13 lbs per corner on wheels at keast not sure about tires . currentky in 255/35/19 mps4s , previous 255/30/20 yokohama advan

Switched from stock 20 in blade 26.8 lbs 12.16 kg on yokohama advan 255/30/20 To 19 in abt er-f on mps4s 255-35-19 and notice a difference in braking, lighter steering and much more capable over potholes and bumps where i had 2 flats with the old setup. They are expensive but i've yet to find a lighter wheel even an 18in one. Only lighter wheels i've seen

Weight 17.67 lbs / 8.0 kg

Last edited by Merlin Purple; 03-08-2021 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Forgot pics
The following 2 users liked this post by Merlin Purple:
BRKNJMPR (03-23-2021), chunk_split (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks 😊 I obsessed over it over the past half year or so. Almost as long as I studied up on (read: obsessed over) the TT RS before pulling the trigger on it.

Yep! Those are very nice wheels and super lightweight. I saw those wheels, they make them for their TT RS-R. I remember them being fairly expensive, but reasonable considering what they are. Some $2.2k/each right? I looked long and hard at those and the FI-R’s by BBS. Only issue is unfortunately they didn’t make 20’s for TT RS (at least that weren’t technically able to support the weight, since they’re made for the lighter front-end of the R8). Plus I didn’t want to experiment on wider wheels, rubbing, fitment, etc. The ZTR-01’s were only $2.7k total (before tax, $3k after in CA) which is very reasonable considering they’re still forged. I got them in 2 days. I had to wait longer to get them installed, lol. I wanted to strike a balance on cost vs. performance. For that same $10k-$11k I spent, I also upgraded brakes, pads, lines, got the tires, lowering springs, labor, taxes, etc. I’m not quite hardcore enough to be able to get all of that while also being able to reduce weight to that degree as well, but I did consider maybe custom forged wheels (e.g. Brixton Forged or BC Forged for better pricing). The nice thing for me was just that 034 already had exact fitment up front along with the weight. The only off putting part for me was the color and size! But I came to realize that the color was actually just fine. Black is too dark to see the detail I want, even though I originally adored this look from Brixton’s R11-R’S satin black with red highlights, so much so that I almost custom powder coated and had red lettering applied to the ZTF-01’s. Glad I didn’t since that’s expensive, already looks good and (apparently) powder coating can reportedly get damaged with enough heat (plus satin might be harder to keep clean looking, even with a ceramic coating, at least compared to a neutral anthracite gray).

Speaking of durability, running a thicker sidewall should help. So 35 should be better, albeit that’s on 255, so a 35 aspect ratio on 265 would be even thicker and theoretically even more durable. I have no clue how such wide tires (which if they hypothetically fit fine) would affect performance in cornering on the slimmer 9” wheels, but something I thought about when wanting both a.) lightweight wheels but b.) better traction with wider tires.

Last edited by chunk_split; 03-09-2021 at 01:28 AM. Reason: More thorough accounting of what $10k gets you
Merlin Purple (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh and on size (19” vs. 20”), in this case I assume 034 knows what they’re doing and have tinkered with size to get ideal weight/performance, so I just trusted their R&D and went with something that “just works,” since I know they really specialize in VW and Audi, particularly the TT RS and RS3’s. Basically, I got lucky and they were really in the “Goldilocks zone” for me in terms of price, performance, looks, R&D and ease (bolt-on), particularly since they’re local and that pushed me over the edge to get their other parts installed while there.

I spent too much time searching for that perfect wheel that had the nice 20” look and not taking time to consider 19”. I decided what mattered to me most was performance (and practicality), so that’s how I ended up going that direction. The ride quality is up, cornering/traction is up, looks are up, so overall (just wheels and tires ~$4.5k w/ taxes and labor) it’s a decent win on its own.

Last edited by chunk_split; 03-09-2021 at 01:39 AM.
Merlin Purple (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I spent an entire year!

Thanks 😊 I obsessed over it over the past half year or so. Almost as long as I studied up on (read: obsessed over) the TT RS before pulling the trigger on it.

Yep! Those are very nice wheels and super lightweight. I saw those wheels, they make them for their TT RS-R. I remember them being fairly expensive, but reasonable considering what they are. Some $2.2k/each right? I looked long and hard at those and the FI-R’s by BBS. Only issue is unfortunately they didn’t make 20’s for TT RS (at least that weren’t technically able to support the weight, since they’re made for the lighter front-end of the R8). Plus I didn’t want to experiment on wider wheels, rubbing, fitment, etc. The ZTR-01’s were only $2.7k total (before tax, $3k after in CA) which is very reasonable considering they’re still forged. I got them in 2 days. I had to wait longer to get them installed, lol. I wanted to strike a balance on cost vs. performance. For that same $10k-$11k I spent, I also upgraded brakes, pads, lines, got the tires, lowering springs, labor, taxes, etc. I’m not quite hardcore enough to be able to get all of that while also being able to reduce weight to that degree as well, but I did consider maybe custom forged wheels (e.g. Brixton Forged or BC Forged for better pricing). The nice thing for me was just that 034 already had exact fitment up front along with the weight. The only off putting part for me was the color and size! But I came to realize that the color was actually just fine. Black is too dark to see the detail I want, even though I originally adored this look from Brixton’s R11-R’S satin black with red highlights, so much so that I almost custom powder coated and had red lettering applied to the ZTF-01’s. Glad I didn’t since that’s expensive, already looks good and (apparently) powder coating can reportedly get damaged with enough heat (plus satin might be harder to keep clean looking, even with a ceramic coating, at least compared to a neutral anthracite gray).

Speaking of durability, running a thicker sidewall should help. So 35 should be better, albeit that’s on 255, so a 35 aspect ratio on 265 would be even thicker and theoretically even more durable. I have no clue how such wide tires (which if they hypothetically fit fine) would affect performance in cornering on the slimmer 9” wheels, but something I thought about when wanting both a.) lightweight wheels but b.) better traction with wider tires.
i spent an entire year looking at wheels! I agree all around weight performance fotment etc the ztf 034 are impossible to beat . That being said i had already pulled the trigger on mine and i do loce them despite costing 2000 a wheel. I actually bought a 5th wheel incase i need a quick ture change or have any damage as i do with all my cars ive had in the past. The only tbing in 19' i found comprable to wheels u and i have are the volk te037 i posted about them on here and a guy named stripley bought them . weight 8.15 kg and about 1150 each. Jdm approved. Almost got the volk g50 in dark purple gun metal mostly for the color as well. As far as custom made wheels o like the company forgeline as they are as much about quality and function and not looking blingy. Thanks again and best of luck on your ttrs . Great Build. Ttyl - Merlin Purple

Quick Reply: TTRS 20" weight?