TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Turbo lag after Unitronic turbo inlet install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo lag after Unitronic turbo inlet install

I have a Unitronic stage 1+ on 93 that I’ve been running for almost 3 years without any supporting mods without issue. I finally got around to adding an intercooler, dsg catch can, dogbone Mount (street bushing), and 3” Unitronic turbo inlet. I had all of that installed at the same time a few days ago.

I didn’t expect to feel much of a difference but I don’t notice any seat of the pants gains at all. In fact, there is what feels like 50% more turbo lag now. The inlet is the only thing I can imagine making that difference. More air has to fill up the space of the larger inlet to create pressure, is my thinking. Has anyone else noticed this increase in lag after adding this inlet?

In addition, the car at idle in comfort mode drones almost unbearably. This I’m thinking maybe due to the stiffer dogbone Mount, allowing more vibration to enter the cabin. Also wondering if anyone has experienced this?
Old 04-29-2024, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I put a Unitronic Stage 1 ECU/TCU tune on my 2016 TT at 5000 mi and it now has 97000 mi. Currently, the car doesn't have any hardware upgrades. For a month, I had a Unitronic downpipe installed and a Stage 2 ECU/TCU tune. However, I do a lot of highway driving and the drone at 2800 rpm drove me crazy. There was nowhere to add an additional resonator without major changes to the exhaust so I removed the downpipe and went back to stage 1.
The following users liked this post:
TittyRS (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the APR Stage 1 tune 93 oct (and TCU tune) and a 4in CTS Turbo inlet (and midpipes) and overall lag seems the same - just incredibly powerful from 4000up. There is still some lag below 4000rpm but that's probably more due to the use of a single turbo setup on these motors and these turbos don't really hit until about 3800-4000.

So your increase in lag seems rather high to me. Maybe your Unitronic tune is not setup for the 3in inlet? Just guessing here - 3in is not much of a difference to the stock size too. You might want to contact Unitronic and see what they have to say about it.

Another idea is to check all the clamps and tubes to make sure there are no intake leaks as it was taken apart for both the inlet and the IC.

Also, from others I have heard anecdotally that the stiffer dog bones take a bit of time to "break in" so you might want to give it a few miles of use before deciding whether you like it or not. I don't have direct experience with the dog bones (other than stock).
TittyRS (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paisk01
I have the APR Stage 1 tune 93 oct (and TCU tune) and a 4in CTS Turbo inlet (and midpipes) and overall lag seems the same - just incredibly powerful from 4000up. There is still some lag below 4000rpm but that's probably more due to the use of a single turbo setup on these motors and these turbos don't really hit until about 3800-4000.

So your increase in lag seems rather high to me. Maybe your Unitronic tune is not setup for the 3in inlet? Just guessing here - 3in is not much of a difference to the stock size too. You might want to contact Unitronic and see what they have to say about it.

Another idea is to check all the clamps and tubes to make sure there are no intake leaks as it was taken apart for both the inlet and the IC.

Also, from others I have heard anecdotally that the stiffer dog bones take a bit of time to "break in" so you might want to give it a few miles of use before deciding whether you like it or not. I don't have direct experience with the dog bones (other than stock).
That all seems logical. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TittyRS
I have a Unitronic stage 1+ on 93 that I’ve been running for almost 3 years without any supporting mods without issue. I finally got around to adding an intercooler, dsg catch can, dogbone Mount (street bushing), and 3” Unitronic turbo inlet. I had all of that installed at the same time a few days ago.

I didn’t expect to feel much of a difference but I don’t notice any seat of the pants gains at all. In fact, there is what feels like 50% more turbo lag now. The inlet is the only thing I can imagine making that difference. More air has to fill up the space of the larger inlet to create pressure, is my thinking. Has anyone else noticed this increase in lag after adding this inlet?

In addition, the car at idle in comfort mode drones almost unbearably. This I’m thinking maybe due to the stiffer dogbone Mount, allowing more vibration to enter the cabin. Also wondering if anyone has experienced this?
Dogbone mount for sure will make you think your car is broken. You'll get used to it.

As for the APR inlet ... if I recall correctly, the OEM is 2 3/4" ... so going to 3" shouldn't have changed things too much. Not sure if it is the APR Stage 1 tune that needs to be updated to Stage 2 ... really, all Stage 1 tunes should be setup for all OEM components, and Stage 2 is where we've changed inlet and outlet side of the air path.
TittyRS (04-29-2024)