TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Would This Be Covered Under Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would This Be Covered Under Warranty?

Hello all,

I have a 2017 TTS. The clear coat seems to be bubbling and peeling on the front directly below the grille.
It is happening in different spots along the length of the crease under there, likely ruling out a rock chip as the catalyst.
Also, the bubble in one of the pics seems to rule that out.
Attached are some pictures. They may not be great. I can get some more in the sun tomorrow.

Would you think this is covered under warranty? Would they repaint, or replace the bumper?
Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

You can always try. Just knowing how many micro-rock chips mine has in that area (that obviously haven't bubbled like that), I think they're likely to blame road damage. If you had a big obvious separation on a flat or larger part of the bumper, or if it was a part of the car that doesn't get dinged so much, you might have better luck...
Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by macaddict111
You can always try. Just knowing how many micro-rock chips mine has in that area (that obviously haven't bubbled like that), I think they're likely to blame road damage. If you had a big obvious separation on a flat or larger part of the bumper, or if it was a part of the car that doesn't get dinged so much, you might have better luck...
There is a spot on the hood that looks suspiciously like the same thing. Also, running down the entire length of my door edges is something that could be the beginning stages.
The local Porsche dealer has a nice Cayman I can spec soon to be on the way. I may have to trade if they aren't going to fix it. Haha.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sgumm
There is a spot on the hood that looks suspiciously like the same thing. Also, running down the entire length of my door edges is something that could be the beginning stages.
The local Porsche dealer has a nice Cayman I can spec soon to be on the way. I may have to trade if they aren't going to fix it. Haha.
If you're seeing it elsewhere you should absolutely show them everywhere. My 370Z had terrible clear coat separation that was quite widespread. Apparently there was a service campaign but never a recall.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have set an appointment for them to take a look while also fixing the airbag recall.
I will update with how it turns out.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Silent Recall

What macaddict111 describes is likely what the manufacturers call a “silent recall”. Manufacturers advise dealers of an issue, which is not safety related, which is to be covered if and when a client complains of a KNOWN issue. Owners are never formally advised.

13 years ago I had an issue with my 2006 Mustang’s convertible roof that kept developing pinholes at the mechanism. Ford initially tried to pass it off as vandalism, but I finally found a dealer that agreed that it was a roof issue.

After changing the roof three times in less than a year, and ordering a fourth, the dealer advised that Ford was redesigning the roof and that any owners that came in and complained about the roof would have it changed under warranty. Ford never advised 2005-2009/2010 owners of this issue.

Needless to say, after the fourth roof, I sold the car.