Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a6 access start modlue locked up steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a6 access start modlue locked up steering wheel

i have 07 a6 the other day the steering wheel locked up and unable to start...........have to have my buddie clear the code with his vag com .he said it might happen again and that the solenoid gets locked up and the dealer usually wants to replace the whole steering column to correct this ...........does anyone know of a service that repairs these modules or bypasses the solenoid so this doesnt happen anymore??
Old 02-04-2020, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A6 access start module locked up steering wheel
Audi A6 C6 4F2 4.2L 2005

Had the same Issue which was : error code 00288 N360 inside unit J518.

This has happened 4 times to me and I have used a portable VAG Com to override the error code. Which brings the car back to life. 2 out of those 4 times I had a failing Battery. I suggest you ‘cell check’ the battery and the Voltage at rest First; as this might be part of the problem of the error code (lower battery voltage)?!?!? I am not sure about this, yet the coincidence is high as other random false working lights came on i.e. low oil (these went after battery replacement).

There is some miss information on this topic and on many threads. Dealers will say the following:

a. “you cannot remove J518 from the steering column, you need to buy a complete new column which includes J518”. You CAN remove J518 from the column. I have done this and yes it took some effort including dealing with 2# one-way turn screw (need to cut a slot in the screw head) and Yes, you need to remove the whole steering column first.

b. “J518 can not be repaired”. It can. The most likely course of 00288 is solenoid ACT512 or one of the 3# micro switches on the PCM. I have bought such a kit. Worth changing the low cost small ELV motor while you are inside J518). Repair kits are available and you then re-solder.

c. “you cannot re-program J518, it’s a code once and forget”. There was a re-coding service I found in Europe (sorry lost www site URL).

Solutions:

The following is my personal opinion and actions. I take no responsibility for the following text. It is at the risk of the reader should they action the following; AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Pay a Garage to replace the whole steering column and re-code J518.

2. Buy solenoid ACT512 + 3# micro switches + ELV Motor. Solder and fit (no need to recode)

3. Cut Wire or Wires: With the Key IN the ignition yet ignition OFF: On J518 is a 20 pin connector; cut Pin 19 (black/red). Please double check its location as there are 2# black/red wires. I took the connector block out and a part of its housing to be sure. I cut the wire high enough up the cable to allow re-connection.

3a. Pin 19 - May not work. If so, then on the larger 3 Pin Power connector cut the black/red cable. I cut high enough up the cable to allow re-connection.

Solution 3. Worked for me. The steering column does not lock after performing 3. / 3a.

Final thought: VW Passet also has a J518 which you can buy as a unit. Please look at this as a possible solution (save the cost of a new column). You will need a garage to code the new J518 to your car. I did not look at this further.

Best of luck.

For those who live in remote and or cold / very hot locations, I advise buying a portable VAG Com unit or perform the solutions above. Being stranded at night in the freezing cold … etc…