Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand-Held VAG 5053 Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand-Held VAG 5053 Tool?

Hello All- first post under my new username ( old one and passwords/email lost on HD crash- easier to start over.)

Wondering if anyone has bought/used/swore at a handheld VAG 5053 tool. I have both a 2000 TTQ and a 2003 A4 1.8T Avant ( which I believe requires CANBUS? ) Need to diagnose airbag light on TT, feel its worth it to buy tool instead of paying $100/hr to shop. Had a way old third party Ross-Tech interface, but I no longer have a PC ( our laptop is Mac ) so thats why handheld might be best way to go....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/replies/advice.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

[QUOTE=gelaTTo;23876285] I have both a 2000 TTQ and a 2003 A4 1.8T Avant ( which I believe requires CANBUS? ) Need to diagnose airbag light on TT, feel its worth it to buy tool instead of paying $100/hr to shop. Had a way old third party Ross-Tech interface, but I no longer have a PC ( our laptop is Mac ) so thats why handheld might be best way to go....

[/QUOTE
Neither car has CAN bus for diagnostics. As to the hand held VAG 5053, I have no experience with that. There are threads around that show that how to get VCDS running on a MAC - do a search on the VAG-COM forum on VWVortex or the TDIClub forum. Both are listed on Ross-Tech's Discussion page.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=bearthebruce;23876399]
Originally Posted by gelaTTo
I have both a 2000 TTQ and a 2003 A4 1.8T Avant ( which I believe requires CANBUS? ) Need to diagnose airbag light on TT, feel its worth it to buy tool instead of paying $100/hr to shop. Had a way old third party Ross-Tech interface, but I no longer have a PC ( our laptop is Mac ) so thats why handheld might be best way to go....

[/QUOTE
Neither car has CAN bus for diagnostics. As to the hand held VAG 5053, I have no experience with that. There are threads around that show that how to get VCDS running on a MAC - do a search on the VAG-COM forum on VWVortex or the TDIClub forum. Both are listed on Ross-Tech's Discussion page.
Thanks for the info Bruce. I guess I should have mentioned the laptop is from work so I cant install new software on it ( other than run it from a memory stick. ) I also have the old serial bus interface which is so ancient now not sure if it will work....but I will check out the pages you mentioned.

Anyone else on the hand-held VAG?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The name VAG 5053 lets one assume it's an official VW/Audi tool but in this case a chinese company mis-used the name and eventually got away with it so far. The tool itself does IMHO not compare to any current VW/Audi diagnostic tools nor will it be ever compatible and future proof.

Since this is the VAG-COM/VCDS forum we do consider discussion about 3rd poarty hardware off-topic.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry didnt know it was off topic I assumed anything VAG was Volkswagen Audi Group diagnostic and that one company didnt have a monopoly on it. Here is the eBay ad if you want to see if its an official VAG diag tool. I gotta assume that every dealer doesn't use a laptop....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...motiveQ5fTools

Originally Posted by Theresias
The name VAG 5053 lets one assume it's an official VW/Audi tool but in this case a chinese company mis-used the name and eventually got away with it so far. The tool itself does IMHO not compare to any current VW/Audi diagnostic tools nor will it be ever compatible and future proof.

Since this is the VAG-COM/VCDS forum we do consider discussion about 3rd poarty hardware off-topic.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No need to excuse yourself, it seems that due to the AudiWorld facelift the forum rules are not being shown anymore. Since we do sponsor this forum/section we did reserve certain rights, hence the hint about this being off-topic.

The link you gave shows the tool which I was referring to in my original comments, it's not an official tool but claims to be one by using a similar name as the official ones.

Dealer techs do use PC and laptop based solutions these days, many dealer techs also use our VCDS additional to the original factory tools.